• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

F-14 Tomcat Projects

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Ironically TARPS was originally intended as a stopgap until the F/A-18(R) could be brought into service. Even more ironically, the F/A-18D(RC) was meant to supplement TARPS equipped F-14s, not replace them. Which means at the moment the USN has currently a big capability gap (would it be that it was the only one...).

Last edited:

F-14D

I really did change my personal text
Reaction score
Anyone still have the pictures of the Super Tomcat 21 Cockpit?? Thanks
This is what's left of the cockpit mockup. Not complete, but gives an idea of the layout.

I've got a shot of the rear cockpit somewhere, but who knows if I'll ever find it. It's dominated by a very large display with handles the RIO can grap to help move around during maneuvers.

Attachments

fightingirish

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Thanks, but was or is not this cockpit mockup presented in some US American aviation museum? :confused: Maybe one forum member in North America can take some new pictures?

raptor82

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score

NoBarrelRolls

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Website
nobarrelrolls.blogspot.com
While I was working on my blog post about the advanced F-14 versions, I stumble upon this picture that is part of the Cradle of Aviation Museum archive

Seems to be part of a study for a rotodome equipped Tomcat, I keep wondering where the radar associated avionics will fit inside the Tomcat's fuselage.

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
While I was working on my blog post about the advanced F-14 versions, I stumble upon this picture that is part of the Cradle of Aviation Museum archive

Seems to be part of a study for a rotodome equipped Tomcat, I keep wondering where the radar associated avionics will fit inside the Tomcat's fuselage.

Great find,thanks.

kaiserd

Reaction score

Great find,thanks.
If “real” (a rotadome and bombs under the wing?) presumably the rotadome would have been tied to the AN/AWG9 in the noise?
Doesn’t appear to be internal volume/ room for a second radar.

kaiserd

Reaction score
On a side note, the F/A-18(R)'s sensor nose, the primary ATAR package in other words, was designed to be able to be quickly swapped out with a radar nose so that the F/A-18(R) could serve as a normal fighter (albeit without the cannon) in an emergency. The F/A-18(R) would have had a more extensive ECM/ESM suite than normal Hornets. Incidentally, ATARS stands for Advanced Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance System.
Thanks, I had not realized that the (R) configuration lost the primary radar as well as the gun.
Are you sure this is right?
My firm recollection was that it was the Vulcan that was sacrificed (for an under noise pallet) but the radar was retained in the F-18(R) that got close to being fielded.
There might have been been at one time different version of the F-18(R) that also sacrificed the radar dating back to when there were separate F-18 and A-18 airframes with differing equipment.

NoBarrelRolls

Reaction score
Website

Great find,thanks.
If “real” (a rotadome and bombs under the wing?) presumably the rotadome would have been tied to the AN/AWG9 in the noise?
Doesn’t appear to be internal volume/ room for a second radar.
It's a great question Kaiserd, and I would like to ask why would an AWACS carry offensive armament? Would be great to know more about this model but I wasn't able to find more information.

apparition13

Reaction score
I could kind of see it if it was loaded up with AIM-152s, but dumb bombs on non-existent wing pylons, the inner ones of which look too close to the wing glove to rotate - doesn't seem likely.

F-14D

I really did change my personal text
Reaction score
Thanks, but was or is not this cockpit mockup presented in some US American aviation museum? :confused: Maybe one forum member in North America can take some new pictures?
I believe at one time it was at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola,and then may have gone to the Cradle of Aviation Museum on Long Island(?). I don't know where it is now.

Last edited:

NoBarrelRolls

Reaction score
Website
I believe at one time it was at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola,and then may have gone to the Cradle of Aviation Museum on Long Island(?). I don't know where it is now.
I think you are right F-14D

gtg947h

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score

I’ve seen a very similar joke model of a “Super Duper Hornet” with rotodome, MAD stinger, ALQ-99, and (I think) a buddy pod. The XEF-14Z label here is a giveaway.

Sundog

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's a joke in the sense that, that is the one usual carrier mission that the F-14 wasn't performing. Oh, and I've seen them make the "same" plane in Macross. ;)

Last edited:

apparition13

Reaction score
A couple questions for y'all that I haven't been able to find the answers to, so perhaps someone here might know.

I've seen a couple posts on this site that suggest the F-14 would have been better if it could have been a couple of feet longer. How would this have improved the Tomcat? Aerodynamics? Fuel capacity? Space for avionics? And where would this length have been? Forward of the wing box? Between the nacelles? A LERX covering the intakes, as in the Grumman proposal for the F-15 program? In short, what would making the Tomcat longer accomplish?

Both the F-14C and the AST-21 are attack versions of an air to air variant, the F-14B (F401 engine) and the SuperTomcat 21 respectively. Did they retain the full air to air capability of the F-14B and ST21, and add additional strike capability, or would it have been necessary to degrade the air to air capability (perhaps by removing the AIM-54 capability) to create an attack focused variant?

In other words, is the progression F-14A, + the F401 = F-14B, + attack capability = F14C; or F-14B - (something) + attack capability to get the F-14C? Similarly for the AST21, was it ST21 + attack capability, or ST21 minus (something) that is replaced with attack capability?