EE P42 and successor studies

But seriously folks. I would not be surprised if this is a scale o rama. Those tailfins look familiar, but I can't quite place them. Assuming that is a Gemini-ish capsule, those engines would be at least twice the size of the SR-71 engines. Presumable the jet gets up to mach 3 or 4 and then the tailcone blows off the rocket and the rocket takes off. However, that capsule is certainly not really going to do well at those speeds.

I suspect that it was a preliminary wind tunnel model of the concept, to help see what exactly they would need to stabilise such a payload.

Anyone any idea of the designation or background of this one? I believe it was part of the same project.

It's shape is familiar to me,and probably I know its EAG series number,but I can't remember now ?.

But seriously folks. I would not be surprised if this is a scale o rama. Those tailfins look familiar, but I can't quite place them. Assuming that is a Gemini-ish capsule, those engines would be at least twice the size of the SR-71 engines. Presumable the jet gets up to mach 3 or 4 and then the tailcone blows off the rocket and the rocket takes off. However, that capsule is certainly not really going to do well at those speeds.
Nice opinion!! How did you calculate this? How about use turbo ramjet engine or another advanced engine?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone - the model was literally rescued from a rubbish skip by myself and now officially belongs to my student age son, who has a strong in interest in space exploration history. It measures 69cm long and 46cm max wing span and is all hand carved hardwood with a lacquered finish, now somewhat "crazed" - I think it is purely an exhibition piece and is not robust enough for wind tunnel testing. The only markings present is a "Data Protection" warning label! Sorry about the background, but the stand was destroyed when I found it and I have not been able to find anything suitable for a model this size, so resting it on the sofa was the easiest solution!

Book "The Fine Art of Dumpster Diving."

Anyone any idea of the designation or background of this one? I believe it was part of the same project.

View attachment 634670

stunning ... any further images or information on the model ? EAG.44?? its not a configuration iv previously noted. Is that a Gemini type capsule mounted on the booster stage ? cheers Joe

I've finally started reading Dan Sharp's British Secret Projects 5, and I've been beginning to notice that the P.42 evolved into many different designs and configurations very quickly. How was this achieved, and which configuration would it have taken had it been built?

I've finally started reading Dan Sharp's British Secret Projects 5, and I've been beginning to notice that the P.42 evolved into many different designs and configurations very quickly. How was this achieved, and which configuration would it have taken had it been built?
While I like the double question. I think only the first part is possible to reason out an answer with whatever documents remain.
It would seem this undergoes such proliferation of designs as it's scope widens out from research to applications. Those range from recce to military to transport to space access systems.

But I'm sorry to say the second part is really an Alternative History question.