Hi,

I want to understand,why many different prefix and what was the differences
between them, D,DS,SS & TS ?.

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
hesham said:
I want to understand,why many different prefix and what was the differences between them, D,DS,SS & TS ?.
If I'm not mistaken, D- was for Design, DS- for Design Specification, TS- for Type Specification and SS- for System Specification.

hesham

Reaction score
Skyblazer said:
hesham said:
I want to understand,why many different prefix and what was the differences between them, D,DS,SS & TS ?.
If I'm not mistaken, D- was for Design, DS- for Design Specification, TS- for Type Specification and SS- for System Specification.
Thank you my dear Skyblazer.

boxkite

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Douglas D-989

Source: http://beigleart.com/aviation-artwork-memorabilia/

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
boxkite said:
Douglas D-989

Source: http://beigleart.com/aviation-artwork-memorabilia/
Nice find my dear Boxkite.

nugo

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Hi All!

Maybe:

DC-3B-202---wrong designation, but correct DC-3B-G202 (with R-1820-G202 engines)
DC-4-509---wrong designation.
DC-4-537---wrong designation.

What you can say about this ?

aim9xray

Reaction score
The compound designation DC-3B-202 looks to be valid. This appears to be a mashup of the Commercial Product Name of DC-3B and the controlling Specification which is DS-202 (specifically Detail Specifications number 202 and 202A which defined the configurations of 8 "DSTs" and 2 "DC-3's" respectively for TWA). By the way, these had "-G102" engines.

-----

If one were to use this method (name-specification) for DC-4-507 and -537, we end up with a nonsensical interpretation since the DC-4 is wholly a Douglas Santa Monica product and Specification Numbers 507 and 537 are in the Douglas El Segundo range and are applied to a DB-7B configuration (controlled by DS-508) and a 24 passenger variant of the DC-5 (controlled by TS-534).

Note that a Detail Specification (DS) and a Type Specification (TS) differ in the level of detail in description - the TS is generally a high level document and less detailed. The DS tends to invoke the TS as a source (high level specification) and then controls the the configuration of the aircraft from a specific customer order and in particular, those options (engines, avionics, passenger layout, etc) selected.

I'm not saying that these numbers are wrong - they may refer to yet another internal numbering series for which we have little insight. Or they could just plain wrong or confused. Douglas internals are quite confusing to reconstruct, particularly without recourse to the the original "Command Media" that established them.

Clear as mud?

nugo

Reaction score
Hi All!

Hi aim9xray, you can prove this data--- DS-202 (specifically Detail Specifications number 202 and 202A which defined the configurations of 8 "DSTs" and 2 "DC-3's" respectively for TWA)---documented ?

R-1820-G202--these engines have been on DC-3B.

If you can send these documents.

I know that Douglas Model 202---6 seat derivative of A-17 (named DT-202).

aim9xray

Reaction score
I strongly suspect that I am working from a copy of the same document as referenced in Stargazer's post earlier upthread.

As to 'DT-202' - as you may have guessed, this is from the El Segundo Division. They apparently named a small number of their designs in the 'DT-2xx' series - which had nothing to do with the 'DS' specification series. This is because the El Segundo Division was the renamed former Northrop Corporation (of which Douglas had the controlling interest, and eventually bought out Jack Northrop in 1939).

Legacy designs from that era retained their use of NS documents (Northrop Specification) well into the Douglas era (there being no real reason to retroactively change the documentation). There was an auction on eBay of a Douglas booklet detailing the history of the SBD - the SBD-1 being built to a NS spec; later SBD versions were built to DS spec numbers. (I'd post that if I could find it).

When the former Northrop operation was fully absorbed by Douglas, the decision was apparently made to allocate a block of prospective Specification numbers to the new El Segundo Division (these being from 500 to 999) so that El Segundo and Santa Monica would not 'step on each other". (This is why spec 499 - last of the 'first Santa Monica series' - has a much later issue date than spec 500 - the first of the El Segundo Division series.) Drawing numbers and report numbers were similarly issued in alternating blocks.

When Santa Monica hit number 499, they jumped to 1000 as their next number and proceeded onward. The 15xx, 16xx, and 17xx blocks appear to have been reserved for as yet unknown uses. Santa Monica specifications (generally for aircraft) then picked up at 18xx in late 1952 or early 1953 and then continued into the early 1960s. Things even more confusing at that point as the El Segundo Division was closed and aircraft manufacturing ended at Santa Monica; with design activities being moved to and concentrated at the Long Beach Division. There appear to have been several distinct advanced design groups active at Long Beach, using the heritage numbering series from their previous organizations. Thus, in the late 1960s, you have DC-8 AWACS studies being done under 98x numbers while DC-8 airliners are being built under 29xx and 3xxx DTS specification numbers.

Still clear as mud?

hesham

Reaction score
I want to understand,why many different prefix and what was the differences
between them, D,DS,SS & TS ?.
Hi Aim9xray,

can you explain why those designation systems appeared ?.

Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Does anyone have drawings or other illustrations of the Douglas D-856 design, given that the number of engines suggests a giant bomber design?

hesham

Reaction score
Does anyone have drawings or other illustrations of the Douglas D-856 design, given that the number of engines suggests a giant bomber design?
Sorry,my mistake,I meant this,a Model-1856.

Attachments

aim9xray

Reaction score
Sorry,my mistake,I meant this,a Model-1856.
No. The six-jet bomber is the Model 1155. (The model was on the wrong base.) The Model 1856 is the Jet Tanker Transport from the year 1955; visually, almost but not quite, a DC-8. Both of these Douglas Santa Monica designs are searchable on SPF. The Model D-856 was an El Segundo design.

aim9xray

Reaction score
Of interest is this page from Douglas report ES-6592 on the history of the Navy SBD (the ES meaning that the report was issued by the El Segundo Division). The report was on eBay, alas, I did not win it. Nonetheless, some interesting pages were shown. Let's walk through this particular one...

The first column appears to be the Navy contract number.
Second: Navy or Army designation*
Third: Navy specification number
Fourth: Navy Specification issue date
Fifth: Company specification number Northrop (and later, Douglas)**
Sixth: Company specification issue date

*Note the designation change after the Douglas takeover and renaming of the former Northrop company
** Note the specification numbering change after the Douglas takeover. "NS" is believed to be "Northrop Specification" as it would later be used in the later Northrop Aircraft Inc (now Northrop Grumman). "DS" appears to mean "Detail Specification" in Douglas usage.

Edit: Attached cover letter and summary of the first contract showing the dates of the original effort.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Does anyone have pics or specs for the D-856 bomber design envisaged by the El Segundo Division of Douglas in the 1960s?

aim9xray

Reaction score
Does anyone have pics or specs for the D-856 bomber design envisaged by the El Segundo Division of Douglas in the 1960s?
Unfortunately, you've been confused by a post or two by another forum member who was conflating the Model 1856 and Model D-856. The Model D-856 was a V/STOL aircraft of some sort, not a bomber.

hesham

Reaction score
Unfortunately, you've been confused by a post or two by another forum member who was conflating the Model 1856 and Model D-856. The Model D-856 was a V/STOL aircraft of some sort, not a bomber.
Dear Aim9xray,

do you have a complete list to or any unknown designations never mentioned in this thread ?,and thanks.

aim9xray

Reaction score
I do not believe that a complete 'company-generated' list exists. If it did, I would be wary of it because it would have to have been compiled in the relative recent past (in order to be complete), and I doubt that someone in today's business-oriented configuration/data management organizations would have the insight, patience and resources to research, understand and reconcile the inconsistencies that have occurred as generations of engineers and clerks have added to the list and subtly changed meanings, usages, conventions and definitions.

hesham

Reaction score
Thank you Aim9xray,

but fir example,how do you know D-856 was a V/STOL aircraft ?.

aim9xray

Reaction score
A reference in a document, hand copied as a note, some time ago.

hesham

Reaction score
A reference in a document, hand copied as a note, some time ago.
OK dear Aim9xray,

please,can you tell us some Douglas's designations we don't know it,and never mentioned in this thread,and thanks ?.