De Havilland DH-106 Comet 1 (Air cargo)

klpchn

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Screenshot (21).png
I'm Trying to Find out more about this
Aircraft. I've examined this image closely, And i found Some things out about it
1; in the back ground is a race track. for Bankgiroloterij cyclist race team
2; further in the back ground is another aircraft's wing and engine behind the banner for the Bankgiroloterij cyclist team
I started to try to figure out why this is a a race track, or what the use of the odd fuselage is.
their are a few things i noticed
first the odd square shape on the fuselage
second the color difference between the normal fuselage, and the odd extension of the fuselage. i thought maby someone added it on after the aircraft's retirement
though im not sure
im desprit to find out anything about this plane

This probably doesn't help, but Bankgiro Loterij is the Dutch national lottery. They sponsored a road cycle team for a few years, but the banner ad here might be from some other event where the lottery advertised. Road cycle teams seldom use stadiums.

Edit: looks like this is the remains of G-ALYW, converted into a Nimrod trainer, then turned into a trailer (!) and later put on display at an aviodrome in the Netherlands with what seems to be a reconstructed nose and lower fuselage.

Last edited:
Sorry, one more update. Found a Scramble thread that gives the full history of G-ALYW and how it came to be it the Aviodrome Lelystadt Museum.

I Know where the Plane is Right now
In the red marked spot on the picture.
It’s in germany near Göttingen just saw it by coincidence riding with the bus.
Then I reached a bit to find out why there is a comet with wheels just standing there it just seemed kinda weird to me.
And I ended here so…

Attachments

• 6535E107-BAA0-495D-99E5-D30F3E668C7A.jpeg
    6535E107-BAA0-495D-99E5-D30F3E668C7A.jpeg
    853.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: