While Convair prepared for production and struggled with aerodynamic issues, Lockheed pursued its own design efforts on a high-speed, high-altitude reconnaissance platform. During this period, the CIA also tasked Lockheed with designing its own B-58 parasite as a check on the performance predicted for FISH by Convair. Lockheed Skunk Works came up with two designs. One was called Arrow I; the other, B-58-Launched Vehicle. Both designs confirmed Convair’s performance figures.
http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=74

PlanesPictures said:
I'm sorry but all is out of your dream

Sigh...

What was planned as mothership for Lockheed's projects?

The B-58 as well. These two designs (ARROW and otherwise undesignated "ramjet" design) were both meant to be direct competitors to the FISH concept... basically to see how Lockheed would design them. The "ramjet" vehicle has a definite design oddity... as laid out, the main landing gear of the B-58 would project right through the wings of the parasite craft. So, rather than design somethign like a launch trolley or droppable mains, the aft part of the parasites wing featured doors all the way through, providing clearance for the B-58 mains. The inner componant of the doors also had a deployable skid for landing the parasite. on the whole an ugly, inelegant solution to the problem.

Very nice to put these all in perspective! Can't wait to see it finished.

As mentioned, it's as yet incomplete. The drawings done so far have been in support of the "Archangel" project I was working on a year and a half ago and then stopped due to a computer crash. Once those are all done, I'll expand the effort outwards.

Orionblamblam said:
Some further progress. A few more minor things needing doing, but this covers the bulk of the unique designs.

THX for Picture B)

thank you very mutch for this picture. In this foreign country it is for me more as bottle of whisky

About the drawings... the Super Hustler drawings are taken from good high-rez scans of a large format blueprint; the Nov 58 and June 59 FISH drawings taken from presentations; the "minimum change," "unstaged," "Gamma" and "Kingfish" taken from Code One materials, and the provisional WO 540 variable Geometry design taken from a pencil-sketch on the back of a FISH presentation (which means there is a gap of some years between the FISH and the WO540). The WO540 is kinda dubious, but the others are as good as I could get 'em. The Kingfish was a bit of a pain in the ass... the side and top views do *not* match up well around the inlet. So what I've shown is a bit different, with the inlet adjusted to match up, using photos of the RCS pole-model to help.

I just got Code One Vol. 26 No. 2 2011.
NICE painting of FISH I haven't seen posted here!
The Super Hustler painting is earlier in this thread also.
So might as well have the FISH painting here too.
From the Code One site: http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=74

Thanks Code One and Eric Hehs !

Attachments

• 001_ASchweizer_FISHpntng_web_1267828237_3089.jpg
    001_ASchweizer_FISHpntng_web_1267828237_3089.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 990
FISH painting is by Lockheed Martin artist David Schweitzer, and it was done specifically for the article. David did the Super Hustler opening artwork for Part 1 as well.

Glad every seems to like it.

Kingfish article is done (finally). I'm pulling all the images together today and it should post to the site this weekend. So keep checking the site.

David is cleaning up some of the illustrations (will post rough sketches from the original docs at first). He is also working an opening artwork of Kingfish for the print version (will post to the website when it's done). I hope to get the "Beyond" article (part 4 of 4 of the series) finished before the end of the year.

Then my work here is done, unless I decide to pull together a history of Big Safari projects in Fort Worth... ;D

--C1

codeone said:
Then my work here is done, unless I decide to pull together a history of Big Safari projects in Fort Worth... ;D

Are you trying to say that once the Super Hustler/Fish/Kingfish saga is told, there will be no more obscure secret projects in the Lockheed/Martin/Convair archives that would deserve a similar treatment?? ::) Nah.... Don't believe a word of it!!! ;)

Code One website just launched commenting.

In case anyone wants to show their support for our efforts as well as for our desires to research and write more such articles...

So glad to see Code One again, and this topic and the info/pictures that come with it are better than I could have hoped for.

The presentation included a size comparison to the proposed B-70 and the existing B-52 to emphasize the advantage of the Special Purpose Super Hustler’s small size.

...A casual rescan of the article while testing the network connection in the bathroom - Code One being good reading material during "Quality Time", natch - raised the question of whether anyone happens to have a copy of this comparison diagram? Scott, perhaps?

XP67_Moonbat said:

Yes! The promised KINGFISH painting by Lockheed Martin artist David Schweitzer !

Eric Hehs, the editor of Code One Magazine had this to say earlier about it:

codeone said:
FISH painting is by Lockheed Martin artist David Schweitzer, ... David did the Super Hustler opening artwork for Part 1 as well. David ... is also working an opening artwork of Kingfish for the print version (will post to the website when it's done). I hope to get the "Beyond" article (part 4 of 4 of the series) finished before the end of the year.
--C1

Thanks Eric and David and Code One !!

Beyond Kingfish, last in the 4-part series, should post next week. Schweitzer is also working another painting.

--C1

Hope everyone enjoys the series. We'll be adding some illustrations to Part 4 since I have run across designs that didn't get mentioned in the article. And we will post the Schweitzer painting as soon as it's done. Appreciate all the nice comments, especially those posted on our site.

--C1

codeone said:
Hope everyone enjoys the series.

Are there any plans to re-format all this into a more traditional "print" format, like a downlaodable PDF or a purchasable paper version?

If not, I'm going to do that reformatting for myself... this stuff is just too good to not have printed up proper.

If not, I'm going to do that reformatting for myself... this stuff is just too good to not have printed up proper.

I'm going to work on my own version too.

Codeone, I can only say "INFINITE GRATITUDE" for you and all people from Lockheed Martin releasing all that treasures to the aerospace fans. This aircraft designs are truly fascinating.

Antonio

I would definately be interested in any sort of print version that may be made available.

I've put together a basic 37-page PDF of Part 1. But before I post it, I just want to make sure that doing so wouldn't irritate Lockheed...

In any event, unless there are plans to produce an *official* version of this, I plan on finishing up all four parts, linking them together and having them professionally printed (not for sale... for *my* bookshelf!).

Have you considered opening an internet library and puting your archive in it? It is possible to create a document that expires after a certain condition is met (time or number of openings). Or you could charge a monthly subscription and limit the number of documents (or certain number of megabytes) that can be downloaded during the designated time period. Even only an e-book reader/tablet friendly version of documents could have proper audience.

Code One usually grants reprint requests, but they need to be submitted by email.

--C1

Wow, this is super king kamehameha kickass awesome! Bravo Zulu, Codeone!

Attachments

• awesomesomuch.png
    awesomesomuch.png
    176.3 KB · Views: 985