Many thanks indeed Scott, very appreciated

This thread ought to be merged with the thread "Convair Super Hustler, Fish and Kingfish" because the person who started the thread now knows that the machine in the picture he posted is the Super Hustler.

By the way, the detailed Convair Super Hustler model in the common pictures that show up in here and in Millers book on the B-58 currently sits on a filing cabinet next to my desk at work.....:)

The manned portion is still in pretty decent shape, but the booster/weapon section was modified into a generic manned ramjet thing with the addition of a canopy and vertical tail. Was not a real project, just some eye candy for a ramjet discussion.

I am about to retire from the LM model shop and am negotiating for permission to bring it home for a voluntary restoration.

Too cool and rare not to bring it back to the original. Will get some photos after it comes home with me.

By the way, the detailed Convair Super Hustler model in the common pictures that show up in here and in Millers book on the B-58 currently sits on a filing cabinet next to my desk at work.....:)

The manned portion is still in pretty decent shape, but the booster/weapon section was modified into a generic manned ramjet thing with the addition of a canopy and vertical tail. Was not a real project, just some eye candy for a ramjet discussion.

I am about to retire from the LM model shop and am negotiating for permission to bring it home for a voluntary restoration.

Too cool and rare not to bring it back to the original. Will get some photos after it comes home with me.
When I worked in the Northrop Grumman Display Model Shop I'd sometimes need to talk to Keith Jokisch in the LM shop. Did you know and/or work with him?

When I worked in the Northrop Grumman Display Model Shop I'd sometimes need to talk to Keith Jokisch in the LM shop. Did you know and/or work with him?
Absolutely! I worked with Keith daily from 1986 until he retired in 2017 or 2018. A fantastic guy and a fantastic modeler. Still have lunch with him from time to time

General Dynamics built up their model shop crew quite a bit in 1985 and 1986 in anticipation of lots of work on ATF, what was to become the A-12 and lots of F-16 variant work, plus ongoing work for Advanced Design here in Fort Worth and many other things. I came on board then. We all shifted over to Lockheed and Lockheed Martin, or course, in the mid 1990s. Only two of us left here from that era and I am retiring in 4 weeks, after 34 and a half years.....:)

Nothing left around here in terms of Fish and Kingfish models, but I always really liked the vintage Super Hustler model. It was likely built by Al Claire way back in the day, who was the manager of the group with I was hired in 1986.

Absolutely! I worked with Keith daily from 1986 until he retired in 2017 or 2018. A fantastic guy and a fantastic modeler. Still have lunch with him from time to time

General Dynamics built up their model shop crew quite a bit in 1985 and 1986 in anticipation of lots of work on ATF, what was to become the A-12 and lots of F-16 variant work, plus ongoing work for Advanced Design here in Fort Worth and many other things. I came on board then. We all shifted over to Lockheed and Lockheed Martin, or course, in the mid 1990s. Only two of us left here from that era and I am retiring in 4 weeks, after 34 and a half years.....:)

Nothing left around here in terms of Fish and Kingfish models, but I always really liked the vintage Super Hustler model. It was likely built by Al Claire way back in the day, who was the manager of the group with I was hired in 1986.
Cool! Next time you see him tell him Tony Chong who used to be at the Northrop/Northrop Grumman Display Model Shop says "hi." I had 30 years there. At some point I'd love to talk with you off-line and perhaps swap shop war stories.

Cool! Next time you see him tell him Tony Chong who used to be at the Northrop/Northrop Grumman Display Model Shop says "hi." I had 30 years there. At some point I'd love to talk with you off-line and perhaps swap shop war stories.

Will do that. We have talked a time or two ourselves: Tom Blakeney here. Drop me a PM with your email address.

Back to Fish and Kingfish....:)

Will do that. We have talked a time or two ourselves: Tom Blakeney here. Drop me a PM with your email address.

Back to Fish and Kingfish....:)
Not sure I did the messaging thing properly. Did you get it okay?

Not sure if already posted...Kingfish RCS model closeup. A number of great closeups at the Nevada Aerospace Hall of Fame.

Attachments

• Kingfish closeup.jpg
    Kingfish closeup.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 186
Codeone.....thank you looks like LH consumed the Convair work.

Marquardt MA-24XEA
This variable geometry ramjet, configured for internal mounting with a vehicle-provided inlet system, was designed for extended cruise at Mach 4 and 90,000 ft. The engine accelerated the vehicle from a Mach 2, 40,000 ft. takeover condition. The ramjet was 33.5-in. in diameter, 89-in. long and weighed 585 lbs. The engine’s hydraulic-pneumatic fuel system and air turbine driven fuel pump were installed in the ramjet center-body.
The variable convergent-divergent exit nozzle, providing variations from 0.12 to 0.65%, was designed with a nonprotuberant aft-end geometry for a low radar signature during cruise flight. The operational development activity for the MA24-XEA was suspended when the launch aircraft program was abruptly terminated.
Flateric, can you tell me, what are the dimensions of this MA-24XEA engine? Length and Diameter?
Any thrust ratings? SFC? etc..... Whatever you might have. Thanks, Kevin

SUMMARY OF MACH 4 INTEGRAL RAMJET STUDY
During the Period
1 January to 15 July, 1959​

In 1958, the state of the art of development of materials and ramjet components had reached the stage wherein a high speed (Mach 4) and high altitude (100,000 feet plus) ramjet engine appeared feasible for development and application to long range cruising vehicles. Aerodynamic test data, coupled with engine component data, revealed that long range capabilities increase rapidly with super-sonic Mach number .. and there is appreciable advantage to pushing cruise speeds as high as material technology will allow.

Studies and component tests made in 1957 and 1958 of an integral cruise type ramjet, as applied to the Super Hustler vehicle, showed that a light-weight ramjet engine could be rapidly developed using existing state of the art knowledge. Consequently, The Marquardt Corporation and the Air Force entered into a program to do further development of engines of this general type which could have application to future ground or air launched cruise vehicles. This study was initiated in January, 1959 and completed with the fabrication of a prototype engine on 15 July, 1959.​

Attachments

• summary of mach 4 integra[15150044].pdf
    13.5 MB · Views: 137