Article posted online just now. Print version will be much abbreviated for space considerations for those folks asking. It will also have fewer illustrations.

www.codeonemagazine.com

Now on to FISH!

Just wondering, is there any more information on the recon version of the Super Hustler?, in particular the sensor package/s.

First FISH image posted on our highlights gallery. Link below. Article is finally in work after some of the usual delays.

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/gallery_slideshow.html?item_id=1263

enjoy.

flateric said:
codeone said:

cool! thanks!

...And from the OM sickbed, a resounding seconded, although to my feeble eyesight the image could have been tweaked a bit to enhance the lines. A simple bit of contrast-fu in most cases does the trick.

image is from a bitmap scan (basically a fax) from the original pencil drawing, which is about 3 feet by four feet (too big for a flat bed and awkward for a camera). I'll look at the file tomorrow to see if I can beef it up.

OM said:
...And from the OM sickbed, a resounding seconded, although to my feeble eyesight the image could have been tweaked a bit to enhance the lines. A simple bit of contrast-fu in most cases does the trick.

Here it is with the lines enfattenated and darkened. Just for you.

Attachments

• 2011_FISHgamma.gif
    2011_FISHgamma.gif
    250.6 KB · Views: 627
Orionblamblam said:
OM said:

Here it is with the lines enfattenated and darkened. Just for you.

...Bless you, my old ssh colleague! Good to see there's at least *one* person around here who's looking out for my well-being these days :(

Nice job, but you coulda deleted the extra H in heighth ;D

Very cool stuff though, all around. Maybe we can get Code One to dig up some more SENIOR PROM images...

codeone said:
image is from a bitmap scan (basically a fax) from the original pencil drawing, which is about 3 feet by four feet (too big for a flat bed and awkward for a camera). I'll look at the file tomorrow to see if I can beef it up.

When you have time, I think we'd love to hear the story of where all these drawings
came from, if that's possible.

I really appreciate your efforts here and also the people who provided them and allowed
you to do this!

codeone said:
First FISH image posted on our highlights gallery. Link below. Article is finally in work after some of the usual delays.

enjoy.

I have to ask was this Fish variant intended for B-58 air launch or was this a stand-alone aircraft as the final King Fish design was? This is a lot larger then any of the Fish designs previously shown and it's nearly as large as the final King Fish design.

Any additional drawings any time soon? Like, with cross-sections?

A few Convair Fish & Kingfish factory models, showing configuration variants. Design ID numbers are engraved on starboard wings. Guess which design number is the same as the full-scale RCS model and win!

Attachments

• FISH RCS 03.jpg
    FISH RCS 03.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 298
  • FISH Model ID 251-01.jpg
    FISH Model ID 251-01.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 193
  • FISH Model ID 250-02.jpg
    FISH Model ID 250-02.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 323
  • FISH Model ID 250-01.jpg
    FISH Model ID 250-01.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 334
  • FISH Model ID 249-02.jpg
    FISH Model ID 249-02.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 337
  • FISH Model ID 249-01.jpg
    FISH Model ID 249-01.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 349
(continued)

Attachments

• FISH RCS 04.jpg
    FISH RCS 04.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 208
  • FISH Model No ID B-02 Bottom.jpg
    FISH Model No ID B-02 Bottom.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 171
  • FISH Model No ID B-01.jpg
    FISH Model No ID B-01.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 165
  • FISH Model No ID A-01.jpg
    FISH Model No ID A-01.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 157
  • FISH Model ID 252-02.jpg
    FISH Model ID 252-02.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 134
  • FISH Model ID 252-01.jpg
    FISH Model ID 252-01.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 167
WOW!!

Where did you find these?

I'd love to hear the story.

Models were supposed to have been removed from the Convair security vault by the 'customer'
back some time ago, according to what Bob Widmer told me.

circle-5 said:
A few Convair Fish & Kingfish factory models, showing configuration variants. Design ID numbers are engraved on starboard wings. Guess which design number is the same as the full-scale RCS model and win!

I'd say 252-02...

Great photos! Much clearer and sharper than those in "From Rainbow to Gusto", which by the way is a great read.

250 is closest, but the fins do not have the trailing edge swept forward as on the RCS model, which I believe is actually a 70% scale, modified from the FISH RCS model.

Now: If only codeone will finish his article on Fish/Kingfish, the world would be a much nicer place.

You wish is granted...the Code One Super Hustler article is on line!!

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=67

and Fish/Kingfish is next issue...

Love the article, but the e-version does not include the lovely illustration done by David Schweitzer of a launch of the Super Hustler and the B-58 peeling away that is the lead in graphic of the print version of the story.

Finally accomplished. What good does any of this do anybody? Blackbird rules! -SP

Story painting is now up on CodeOne. For those too lazy to go there and look, attached below:

Attachments

• 2011_Convair_Super_Hustler_1267828237_1245.jpg
    2011_Convair_Super_Hustler_1267828237_1245.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 1,354
Three-view drawing of Convair FISH from Code One magazine website.

FISH, short for First Invisible Super Hustler, was a derivative of a Mach 4 reconnaissance aircraft designed to be launched from the underside of a B-58. Proposed in the summer of 1958 by Convair, the aircraft was shaped to minimize radar reflections.

Source:

Attachments

• 2011_FISH_3view_1267828237_4904.jpg
    2011_FISH_3view_1267828237_4904.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 1,110
Posted the Convair FISH article on the site this morning:

www.codeonemagazine.com

Enjoy!

codeone said:
Posted the Convair FISH article on the site this morning:

www.codeonemagazine.com

Enjoy!

Thank you so much! Although the mystery is yet to be lifted on what A-8 and A-9 looked like, what you've done here is already priceless as it is...

At least finally a first drawing of the "famous" B-58B, many many thanks CodeOne!!!! ;D

Thank you very much for these excellent sources, I will use them for my and for your pleasure, too

Where is drawing of B-58B? I still have only simple sketch of this for me needed version

It this the following one, ok rough at barely visible but still indeed the very first drawing officially associated to B-58B I ever seen until now...

Attachments

• 13_B58B_Rationale_1267828237_6159.jpg
    13_B58B_Rationale_1267828237_6159.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 1,635
I'm sorry but all is out of your dream

What was planned as mothership for Lockheed's projects?