Boeing P-8A Poseidon (737-800EFV) MMA (Multi-mission Maritime Aircraft)

_very_ early Boeing MMA submission

Attachments

• boeing-737-multi-mission-maritime_1_5876e71e75430b5443b9d8e7689db932.jpg
    boeing-737-multi-mission-maritime_1_5876e71e75430b5443b9d8e7689db932.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 159
  • boeing-737-multi-mission-maritime_1_5876e71e75430b5443b9d8e7689db932 (1).jpg
    boeing-737-multi-mission-maritime_1_5876e71e75430b5443b9d8e7689db932 (1).jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 90
  • boeing-737-multi-mission-maritime_1_5876e71e75430b5443b9d8e7689db932 (2).jpg
    boeing-737-multi-mission-maritime_1_5876e71e75430b5443b9d8e7689db932 (2).jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 86
Shorter airframe and different wing tips?

The winglets stayed around quite a while. IIRC, there were deicing issues that led to the adoption of the raked tips instead.

And yeah, the final version got a longer fuselage, possible to accommodate the radar pod that no one likes to talk about.

Last edited:
p-8pod.jpg
DUBAI—Boeing is using Dubai Airshow 2021 to showcase an internally funded multi-role belly pod for the P-8A maritime patrol aircraft.

The pod is designed to house a wide range of sensors and mission systems, including potential multiple configurations of equipment provided by operator nations.

Housed under the forward fuselage on the center weapon station, the pod has already attracted interest from P-8A operators like Australia and the UK, says Stu Voboril, P-8A vice president and program manager. “With the ability to put new sensors in it, potentially developed using in-country capabilities and sensors, this allows them to do different missions than just the standard P-8A.”

“We’ve got a lot of traction for that from the international community lately and they are very interested in it,” says Voboril, who adds that Boeing is willing to negotiate whether the pod is sourced from within the company or from the operator country based on the Boeing design. “We’re very open to any of those options and we think that could open up a larger market space.”

A highly interesting development for the P-8A, I take it the pod being multirole would also be capable of doing ELINT missions as well? As it could potentially replace the existing RC-135 ELINT aircraft in both the USAF and RAF service.

Last edited by a moderator:
contractor

contractor

Is it just me, or does the actual picture of the ELINT pod not actually appear in the Jalopnik story anymore?

For reference, we have a copy earlier in this thread, HERE. They look like they are related. The new one has an enclosure where the older one had an exposed antenna farm (with a shield between the antennas and the fuselage), but they have very similar looking bases where the pod mates to the aircraft.

Last edited:
The US aircraft don't have MAD.
interesting that US P-8A tail booms still have these markings...

Interesting. The P-8I, which is known to have MAD, has a significantly longer "stinger" there, so it seems unlikely that there is a non-disclosed MAD still on the P-8A. I'd guess someone decided not to issue a change order to remove the boom or the markings.

The stencile says 'MAD DELETING HEAD'...I get the impression the airframe might be 'fitted for, not with' MAD and that no one bothers to change the markings between the different models. How late in the design process was the MAD deleted from the aircraft?

The stencile says 'MAD DELETING HEAD'...
No its "DETECTING" the C and second T are partially worn/smudgy but the first T is clear.
Even the M in MAD is hard to read, not the best bit of stencilling work ever.

Boeing pushing for Canada:

View: https://twitter.com/boeingdefense/status/1491819624651968517?s=27

FLQCCrsXMAAhTKP

Sorry wasn't looking to hijack this thread, but the u-tube item touched on the expanded runway length and perhaps a few of India's twelve P-8Is would be based there.

Last edited:
Seems like a no brainer for the UK; there should be basically no development or integration costs. Part of the entire reasoning behind the P-8 purchase. SPEAR integration on the other hand they are going to have to cover themselves; hopefully they do. I think the USN is going to integrate SDB II eventually but I don't think it is a priority.

The first P-8A Increment 3 Block 2 aircraft assigned to Air Test and Evaluation Squadron (VX) 20, undergoes testing in the anechoic chamber at Naval Air Systems Command, Patuxent River, Maryland.
P-8A Increment 3 Block 2.jpg

Interesting video, do you know if the USAF has carried out similar life raft drills? Or is the RAF the only air force to have carried out such drops using the P-8?

Both USN and RAAF P-8s have dropped life rafts to people in distress.

In 2018, three fishermen were rescued in the South Pacific by a U.S. Navy Squadron with the help of UNIPAC-II SAR kit, the predecessor to the UNIPAC-III, which was the first time the U.S. Navy employed the system.

An RAAF P-8A Poseidon dropped life rafts to 20 stranded fisherman who were clinging to their capsizing vessel in rough seas 670 nautical miles west of Perth.

Interesting video, do you know if the USAF has carried out similar life raft drills? Or is the RAF the only air force to have carried out such drops using the P-8?

Both USN and RAAF P-8s have dropped life rafts to people in distress.

In 2018, three fishermen were rescued in the South Pacific by a U.S. Navy Squadron with the help of UNIPAC-II SAR kit, the predecessor to the UNIPAC-III, which was the first time the U.S. Navy employed the system.

An RAAF P-8A Poseidon dropped life rafts to 20 stranded fisherman who were clinging to their capsizing vessel in rough seas 670 nautical miles west of Perth.

Thanks TomS, I did not know that both the USAF and the RAAF both deployed life rafts from their P-8s.

Last edited:

here is the Boeing statement

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
in regards to Canada, was the P-1 ever an option?