Boeing airliner and transport projects

My dear Stargazer,

I used the search,but didn't find it,I can't remember.

When I first wanted to post that news a few weaks aho , I didn't find the old topic with the search engine strait away. It took minutes and I nearly got crazy... ::)
But I remembered writing at that time, that I wanted be locked "for a few days away in that treasure cave at Boeing" with Snickers and Energy Drinks.
So "snickers" and "energy drinks" were the right keywords for the search engine.
Kaboom!!!, there it was on top of the search list. God bless me, that my photographic memory is still working. ;) :D

Boeing Planes That Never Flew - News Report / Re: Boeing Model 754

That Boeing NLA concept is really interesting; I've seen a few versions of the NLA, but never one with a V-tail. I wonder if it's from the 747-X development era, or from the LAPD developments. Has anyone else seen anything about it?

Hi,

Here is the Boeing UBF or Ultra-Hypass airliner project,it was a medium transport
aircraft with low-wing and T-tail,powered by two propfan engines,mounted at the
two sides of the rear of the fuselage.

Air International 7/1985

Attachments

• UBF.png
    UBF.png
    358.5 KB · Views: 1,197
  • UBF  II.png
    UBF II.png
    370.8 KB · Views: 1,071
Hi,

here is an artist drawing to Boeing-717 and a twin engined Boeing-707-020-6 which
led to develop Boeing-720.

Great Airliners Boeing-720

Attachments

• 717.png
    717.png
    481.5 KB · Views: 1,407
  • 707-020-6.png
    707-020-6.png
    381.8 KB · Views: 1,396
Artist's impression of Boeing 754 found in color!

Boeing Model 754 "Husky" Concept, 1974

The Boeing Model 754 was an uncompromised all-cargo transport concept to revolutionize the air freight industry. The aircraft was 162 feet long with a 210 foot wingspan and nearly 33,000 cubic feet of cargo space. The three-engine version was meant for short to medium routes, a four-engine version would have handled long range flights and military airlift missions.

Source:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101911213
http://www.boeingimages.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult&VBID=2JRSN2AZIFQE&SMLS=1&RW=1366&RH=618

Attachments

• 101911095-Boeing-Model-754.530x298.jpg
    101911095-Boeing-Model-754.530x298.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,182

Attachments

• Boeing Images - Boeing Model 754_Husky_Concept_1974.jpg
    Boeing Images - Boeing Model 754_Husky_Concept_1974.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 644

Attachments

• B-K Transport.png
    B-K Transport.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 319
  • Bo-6.png
    Bo-6.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 324
  • Bo-5.png
    Bo-5.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 322
  • Bo-4.png
    Bo-4.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 314
  • Bo-3.png
    Bo-3.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 313
  • Bo-2.png
    Bo-2.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 314
  • Bo-1.png
    Bo-1.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 604
On a related note, at least as with regards as to the airliners:

Hi,

here is a Boeing Model-498,and the artist drawing was to Model-498-4.

Attachments

• 498-4.png
    498-4.png
    300.4 KB · Views: 347

here is a drawing to Boeing Model 763-018.

Attachments

• 763-018.jpg
    763-018.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 612
Looks a lot like the 763-058 and -059, but slightly larger than either. With 776 pax in a 3-class arrangement, this has to be one of the bigger variants of the VLCT/747-X/NLA/LAPD series. It's a treasure trove waiting to be fully discovered, that series. I wonder, and can't tell from the original source, if this was part of the NLA series or the VLCT study.

Things to note:
  • It can't be the biggest one of all, though, because Norris & Wagner said that version had a 290-foot span and a 24-wheel gear setup, with an MTOW of 1.7 million pounds
  • From the source page, some of the other diagrams are even more impressive. Look at the L2 and L3 exit doors. Either they're not to scale on the drawing, or they're the largest doors anyone ever considered.
  • No folding wingtips on this variant. No indication of engine models, either.
  • It's pretty legible, except for the tail height. Any ideas?

Great find, hesham!

I know that passengers are low density compared to most of the other things planes might transport, reducing how much of a benefit you can really extract from a blended wing body, but it does still surprise me that we haven't seen any rear mounting wing/canard airliners, seems like not having to use the tail to produce downforce to balance the plane would be a straightforward enough development.

Triton said:
Bushnell, Dennis M. Ed., Potential Impacts of Advanced Aerodynamic Technology on Air Transportation System Productivity, NASA Langley Research Center, August 1994
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19950005076_1995105076.pdf

That multi hulled 747 float plane, that must be a joke, right? It has to be, they listed the wing area in acres.

hesham said:
Hi,

the Boeing canard future airliner.

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19850218/21/0

It looks a bit like a Sonic cruiser, with propfans.

Thank you Carsinamerica,

and I have a drawing to 763-058,do you have a drawing to 763-059 ?,and thanks.

hesham said:
Thank you Carsinamerica,

and I have a drawing to 763-058,do you have a drawing to 763-059 ?,and thanks.

The only drawing of it I have is the artwork in Scott's US Transport Projects #4. Since he's a member, we probably shouldn't repost that without his say0so. Where does your drawing of the -058 come from? Have you posted it?

Hi Carsin,

before Scott's report,I have it also in a book or a PDF file,but where,but where in my computer ?.

hesham said:
before Scott's report,I have it also in a book or a PDF file,but where,but where in my computer ?.

Yikes! Hope you can find it. We'd all love to see the PDF excerpted, I'm sure.

Hey guys, I think I have an idea of what that very huge NLA Norris and Wagner talked about. Its probably nearly identical to the 763-018, 763-059, and 763-058, but has a wingspan of up to 290 feet and the fuselage probably had two 10 foot long plugs added forward and aft off the wing/fuselage juncture stretching it to 280 feet from nose to empennage. Does that sound right to you?
(UPDATE May 2, 2019) Actually, now that I think of it, it is possible that the first two black and white pictures in page 2 of the 747 thread could very well reveal the big NLA Norris and Wagner talked about. The big plane in that second picture definitely looks like it would be 280 feet long, have a 290 foot wingspan, and a maximum takeoff weight of 1.7 million pounds.

Last edited:
That Boeing NLA concept is really interesting; I've seen a few versions of the NLA, but never one with a V-tail. I wonder if it's from the 747-X development era, or from the LAPD developments. Has anyone else seen anything about it?
The V-tailed NLA design you saw is called the 763-165. This design was one of 100+ NLA/VLCT/N650/747-X designs conceived in the 1990s.

763 single deck

Attachments

• 763.png
    763.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 470
  • 763 cabin.png
    763 cabin.png
    489.4 KB · Views: 466
Hi carsinamerica, have you found any pictures of that very large NLA/VLCT/747-X design that had a 290 foot wingspan, a 24 wheel gear setup, and a MTOW of 1.7 million pounds? If you have, that would be awesome. But if not, that's OK. ;)

Looks a lot like the 763-058 and -059, but slightly larger than either. With 776 pax in a 3-class arrangement, this has to be one of the bigger variants of the VLCT/747-X/NLA/LAPD series. It's a treasure trove waiting to be fully discovered, that series. I wonder, and can't tell from the original source, if this was part of the NLA series or the VLCT study.

Things to note:
  • It can't be the biggest one of all, though, because Norris & Wagner said that version had a 290-foot span and a 24-wheel gear setup, with an MTOW of 1.7 million pounds
  • From the source page, some of the other diagrams are even more impressive. Look at the L2 and L3 exit doors. Either they're not to scale on the drawing, or they're the largest doors anyone ever considered.

Great find, hesham!
Sorry for the late reply, but I remember reading something about Boeing and Airbus talking supposedly about a 1000+ passenger VLCT back in 1993 from a document about the Airbus A380 back in 2007. IMJ, that particular plane very likely would have reached well over 300+ feet in length, had a wingspan of around 350 feet, a MTOW of 2 million+ pounds, and a tail height of 95 feet which would have been much bigger than Boeing's largest NLA/747-X design, which was 280 feet in length, had a wingspan of 290 feet, a MTOW of 1.7 million pounds, and a tail height of around 85 feet.

Last edited:

Things to note:

Great find, hesham!
Hello again,

Not too long ago, I have uploaded a picture on the Boeing NLA thread of a plane that looks very much like the 763-018 on this thread, but is noticeably longer, and I believe it is the largest of the VLCT/747-X/NLA/LAPD designs. And if it had a designation, I would call it the Boeing 763-019. And here it is.
img11.jpg

Last edited:
Boeing 763-058 three-view.

Offhand, do you know the model number of this one? This is the design described in AW&ST, though I don't remember when. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as this flight representation.

This one doesn't have the circular cross-section, or even ovoid. It's very 747-like, with compound curvature for the upper deck. I remember it being described in FI 21 December 1994.

Attachments

• Boeing NLA 3-view.png
    Boeing NLA 3-view.png
    835.9 KB · Views: 308
  • Boeing NLA in flight.jpg
    Boeing NLA in flight.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 266
Boeing 763-058 three-view.

Offhand, do you know the model number of this one? This is the design described in AW&ST, though I don't remember when. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as this flight representation.

This one doesn't have the circular cross-section, or even ovoid. It's very 747-like, with compound curvature for the upper deck. I remember it being described in FI 21 December 1994.
I don't think he does, and I sure as hell don't either.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 239
Does the model in the second photo look like this? It does.

Attachments

• 1623263101697.jpeg
    1623263101697.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 167