Yellow Bird, the Pillan that was not

Part 1 of 3: The premature idea of retiring Mentors, LV Magazine - LIMA VICTOR No. 48

Part 2 of 3: In the jaws of Chilean intelligence, LV Magazine - LIMA VICTOR No. 49

Part 3 of 3: Last images of the shipwreck, LV Magazine - LIMA VICTOR No. 50

824d4133493871.56ad1dd31a23a.jpg

Attachments

• Revista LV Nro 48 Yellow Bird, el Pillán que no fue_Parte 1.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 52
  • Revista LV Nro 49 Yellow Bird, el Pillán que no fue_Parte 2.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 46
  • Revista LV Nro 50 Yellow Bird, el Pillán que no fue_Parte 3.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 48
Wind tunnel model of FMA IA-68 ATL (Credits: ´José Martínez)

FZZomO1WYAEN4aF

The FMA IA-67 Córdoba (1980), a proposal from the US company Volpar, the same company that integrated the Garrett turboprops into the IA-66 Pucará. Similar in configuration to the IAI Arava, it used the tools and components of the IA-66 to lower its production and sale costs.

FdwyjQOWQAEpRWi

That same configuration, but in an enlarged variant, was used by Volpar in its proposal for the ATL, rejected in favor of the one presented by the IIAE. There was also a proposal for an IA-67 with a more conventional tail configuration.

Fdwz42GWAAQM1LM

View: https://twitter.com/RengelGonzalo/status/1575190553234669569

The tailless hang glider fighter, a proposal by Dr Reimar Horten to the FMA, as an alternative to the FMA IAe.33 Pulqui II. Illustrations of Alejandro Klichowsky
View: https://twitter.com/RengelGonzalo/status/1582458883955920897

Another from Reimar Horten's Tailless Delta Fighter. The illustrations were made by Mario Merino Alegre, for the monograph of this fighter made by David Myhra
View: https://twitter.com/RengelGonzalo/status/1582459687261286400

Este es un fan art, nunca hubo un IA-48 biplaza de lado a lado. En los dibujos oficiales, el IA-48 siempre tuvo una configuración en tándem. Vi el modelo del túnel de viento y es una configuración en tándem, no uno al lado del otro.
Si bien siempre me inclinaré ante un conocimiento superior, rechazo el término poco caritativo "fan art". Usé la información que tenía disponible en el momento en que creé el dibujo, que incluía el modelo de madera que muestra y el primer dibujo adjunto a continuación. Tanto el modelo como el plano todavía parecen representar una disposición de asientos uno al lado del otro para mi ojo inexperto. La segunda imagen adjunta es un dibujo algo menos oficial de la configuración en tándem que encontré una década más tarde. Se ve bastante diferente.
Pido disculpas si te ofendí. Recordé que había subido estas imágenes en la temática específica de los diseños de Reimar Horten.

espero que te sean utiles

d8iae48-supersonico-biplaza-j-jpg.638101

d7iae48-modelo-lanzable-jnh-jpg.638102

d6avion-ala-delta-iae48s-jpg.638103

Yellow Bird, the Pillan that was not

Part 1 of 3: The premature idea of retiring Mentors, LV Magazine - LIMA VICTOR No. 48

Part 2 of 3: In the jaws of Chilean intelligence, LV Magazine - LIMA VICTOR No. 49

Part 3 of 3: Last images of the shipwreck, LV Magazine - LIMA VICTOR No. 50

View attachment 677152
Cool version of the Piper Arrow!

In my opinion, “Las Alas de Perón” has to be the most comprehensive book about the Golden age of Argentinian aviation industry.
Llevo esperando trece años a que aparezca un editor con el suficiente... "right stuff" para hacer justicia al extraordinario trabajo de Burzaco, publicando sus libros en ingles.
Tan dificil y arriesgado seria hacer una edicion en Amazon-Kindle?
Es una cuestion de ideologia?.
Que problema puede haber en publicar un trabajo tan tecnico con background historico de todos conocido? yo no he encontrado ningun obstaculo a mis publicaciones en el mundo anglosajon.
Un saludo a todos y mis respeto por los demas autores.
I withdraw what I have said in my previous post, although they occupy a broader period of the FMA, all the books that I cite take as a reference to Burzaco's book for that period.

I think that a corrected reissue is necessary, removing some myths and investigating projects that were recently released.

Unfortunately Alas de Peron is sold out and cannot be found in bookstores or on the web.

Luckily I have both editions of Alas de Perón
I beg to differ gentlemen, Burzaco's book is an attempt to re-write history "as it should have been" not as it really happened. The poor fellow really believes that prior to Peron's overthrow in 1955 100 Pulqui IIs (I.A. 33) were about to be built. In fact, a government-controlled magazine (PBT) published in June 1954 announced that production of a batch of 10 (ten) aircraft was about to begin...How could this be possible, when only four Rolls-Royce Nene's were acquired 1948-50? and two of these were destroyed when the 2nd. and 3 prototypes crashed? The IAME plant (the former Fábrica military de Aviones-or FMA) never acquired the license to manufacture the Nene engine, and the so-called Jet engine plant of that merely assembled 225 Rolls Royce Derwents from imported materials. Furthermore, after stock was taken of the IAME after Peron had fled to Paraguay in September 19, 1955, they only found stocks of plywood, the remaining of 100 De Havilland Gypsy Major 130 hp Gypsy Major engines acquired in 1936-37 for the Aé.C.4.. (one was installed in the prototype, and two were earmarked for the I.A.45 c. 954...In fact, IAME lacked even aluminum profiles required for aircraft production, hence only one prototype I.A. 35 flew c. 1953. Production of this aircraft commenced in 1957, when an Argentine AF Douglas C-54 flew to the U.S. and brought back 8 tons of aluminum profiles (and aluminum wire to manufacture. screws) hence the first four producton aircraft were built in March 1957...

In my opinion, “Las Alas de Perón” has to be the most comprehensive book about the Golden age of Argentinian aviation industry.
Llevo esperando trece años a que aparezca un editor con el suficiente... "right stuff" para hacer justicia al extraordinario trabajo de Burzaco, publicando sus libros en ingles.
Que problema puede haber en publicar un trabajo tan tecnico con background historico de todos conocido? yo no he encontrado ningun obstaculo a mis publicaciones en el mundo anglosajon.
I disagree, the book has a lot of inaccuracies and false legends, which unfortunately were installed in the popular imagination

There is already a book published about the FMA, by two excellent authors, backed by documentation, not stories and gossip.

fma-00-jpg.629112

There are very good pre and post work on the subject.

fma-01-jpg.629113

fma-03-jpg.629115

fma-05-jpg.629117

fma-08-jpg.629120

Sr. Longoni's contribution facilitated my task immensely, (in terms of photographs-was limited to about 50 + photos and 3-view-drawings) ut no text...._ was continuous After assembling the massive documentation obtained from various sources, the task of translating articles in French, German, Italian and Spanish into English and shaping it int a coherent magazine fell upon my shoulders. This placed an enormous personal responsibility when addressing an interesting, complex and controversial subject.

Last edited:
I disagree, the book has a lot of inaccuracies and false legends, which unfortunately were installed in the popular imagination

There is already a book published about the FMA, by two excellent authors, backed by documentation, not stories and gossip.

fma-00-jpg.629112

There are very good pre and post work on the subject.

fma-01-jpg.629113

fma-03-jpg.629115

fma-05-jpg.629117

fma-08-jpg.629120

I had the privilege of editing Argentina's Fábrica Militar de Aviones, .. Sr. Longoni's contribution facilitated my task immensely, his input (he refers to photographs-was limited to about 50 + photos and 3-view-drawings) _ was continuous After assembling the massive documentation obtained from various sources, the task of translating articles in French, German, Italian and Spanish into English and shaping it int a coherent magazine fell upon my shoulders. This placed an enormous personal responsibility when addressing an interesting, complex and controversial subject.

I understand that Hernan Longoni is a co-author of the book with V. Rauch, not that he is a simple contributor who contributes material. His name appears on the cover of the book.

I know him personally and he has a lot of material and documentation on the FMA, not just photos and drawings.

He even published a book on the Guarani II in PDF, if he did not edit more books or write more notes on the web it is because his profession as a lawyer does not leave him enough time

below the link to his blog and the last notes he wrote, in addition to the link to the Guarani II book, which is taken as a reference by Carlos Ay in his recent book published on paper.:

Last edited:
The IA-100 Technology Demonstrator

"Aeroespacio" Magazine

Attachments

• IA-100 PAGINA 6.jpeg
    IA-100 PAGINA 6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IA-100 PAGINA 5.jpeg
    IA-100 PAGINA 5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
  • IA-100 PAGINA 4.jpeg
    IA-100 PAGINA 4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IA-100 PAGINA 3.jpeg
    IA-100 PAGINA 3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • IA-100 PAGINA 2.jpeg
    IA-100 PAGINA 2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IA-100 PAGINA 1.jpeg
    IA-100 PAGINA 1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
Regarding the I.A. 36, although when Perón traveled to Córdoba the witness the inaugural flight of the I.A. 36 in September 1963. Kurt Tank announced that he had completed the design of a jet-propelled aircraft weighing 50 tons, with a cruising speed of 931 km/h and a range of 4,980 kilometers, accommodating 40 passengers. But only a 1:1 wooden scale of the tail-empennage was ever built, since as Tank's biographer noted that: (the project only wanted "the necessary (financial) backing to launch such a large commercial machine". The prototype was to have been powered by 5 Rolls Royce Nenes, but a second projected version, on paper only, as the first was to be propelled by the more powerful Avon engines. Taking into consideration the teething problem, lack of proper financing and the long-gestation period of the Pulqui II, the idea that the IAME could produce a much larger and complex machine like the I.A.36Pentaturbo is a desultory notion. A further twist was added to the spiral when German engineers, including Horten voiced their concerns that the rear mounted engines rnclosed by a funnel-shaped air intake, and voiced their doubts and concerns. The engine intake was designed suck air by fricition from the boundary layer, therefore reducing engine ouput and efficiency. The general consensus was that the aircraft would burst into flames on thye ground. Exhuberabce gave way to a more somber appraisel, and by 1954, when Tank was already applying for a job in India, the project was discontinued

Attachments

• 105nv40.jpg
    105nv40.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IA 36.gif
    IA 36.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
The ATL and other projects that didn't progress. from the designer's table

Attachments

• ATL.jpg
    ATL.jpg