• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Post-war Horten designs

Mark Nankivil

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
There was a IA-38 with four RR Nene turbojet in place of piston engines.

View attachment 628690
I don't believe that was built - will need to check my Reimar Horten book on that. For what the IA-38 was meant for - a utility transport, the jet powered version doesn't make much sense.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
My dear Mark,

there is nothing in this book about it.

Erdosain

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Last edited:

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Crane,

and thank you for those drawings and Projects.

boxkite

Reaction score
Thank you very much. As time passes, more material is being released about a threat from Argentina. Meanwhile, Eugen Sänger was working on the Sänger II space plane in Germany, which was also derived from wartime work.
häh.png Eugen Sänger died in 1964. MBB proposed the Sänger II at the end of the 1980s, so he never worked on this concept.

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
There was a IA-38 with four RR Nene turbojet in place of piston engines.

View attachment 628690
I don't believe that was built - will need to check my Reimar Horten book on that. For what the IA-38 was meant for - a utility transport, the jet powered version doesn't make much sense.

Enjoy the Day! Mark
Agreed!
A jet-powered "Orange" I. AE 38 cargo plane does not make much sense considering the high fuel consumption of first-generation, centrifugal jet engines. It would only be profitable if consumers were wiling to pay very high prices for fresh fruit.

edwest

Reaction score
Thank you very much. As time passes, more material is being released about a threat from Argentina. Meanwhile, Eugen Sänger was working on the Sänger II space plane in Germany, which was also derived from wartime work.
View attachment 628703 Eugen Sänger died in 1964. MBB proposed the Sänger II at the end of the 1980s, so he never worked on this concept.

Strange reply. I know when Sänger died. It's called the Sänger II because he didn't work on it? "Between 1961 and 1963 he acted as a consultant for Junkers in designing a ramjet-powered space-plane that never left the drawing board."

nuuumannn

Cannae be ar*ed changing my personal text
Reaction score
In Dan Sharp's magazine Hitler's Wonder Weapon Tailless Projects (Morton's Media Group, 2017) there is a few pages dedicated to the Horten VIII, a project launched during the war and left incomplete with large components lying around in a garage near Gottingen. The basis of this design was redrawn as a project for the British and was to be powered by six de Havilland Gipsy Queen 51 engines. Attachment as per the magazine. From the magazine, it resembles the Naranjero in layout and size, only with six engines, although unusually there is no mention of the Naranjero in the magazine.

Attachments