Register here

Author Topic: Nuclear Powered Aircraft Projects  (Read 111628 times)

Offline Skybolt

• Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Nuclear Powered Aircraft Projects
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 05:04:04 am »
Just received the marvellous Stan Piet and al's "Seamaster" by Martineer Press.... Some VERY interesting nuclear powered seaplanes there... Just wait till this night, gentlemen.. (a Nuclear Princess model photo, too...)

joncarrfarrelly

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 03:13:29 pm »
Here is part of the info on Martin Nuclear seaplane projects from the Fall 2006 AAHS Journal.
The Martin 331-1 which was basically a modified P6M.

As the project proceeded the design diverged more and more from the P6M baseline.

Cheers, Jon

Offline Skybolt

• Top Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 03:11:12 am »
This is Model 331-6, from first half of 1956. It was leghtned to house the new version of the GE AC-110 reactor with turbojet integrated in the reactor frame. From Stan Piet's "P6M".

Offline hesham

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 11:06:27 am »
Hi,

A project based on Lockheed C-130 as nuclear powered and jet engines
transport aircraft.

Offline hesham

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 03:58:36 am »
Hi,

the Lockheed also designed a nuclear powered aircraft,the L-125,
L-195 and L-212,I don't rtemember the site which mentioned
that info now,I will search about it,but has anyone a more info
about them ?.
Please see the Prototypes site about nuclear powered aircraft.
http://jpcolliat.free.fr/x6/x6-4.htm

Offline Kadija_Man

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 07:15:23 am »
I've often wondered how these nuclear aircraft were meant to work (or rather their engines).  How does a nuclear jet engine work?   Surely it would spew radiation all over the countryside?

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 12:36:29 pm »
I've often wondered how these nuclear aircraft were meant to work (or rather their engines).  How does a nuclear jet engine work?

Simplest version: nuclear ramjet. In short, air is fed into a reactor, a reactor which is real close to meltdown. The air serves as coolant for the reactor, in the process getting very hot. The heated air is expelled directly, producing thrust. In essense, the heat from the reactor replaces the heat from normal ramjet combustion.

Turbojet version, simple: similar as above, but instead of providing direct thrust, the heated air is blown past a turbine, with the reactor takign the place of regular burner cans in a  turbojet. The turbine then provides mechanical power to run a conpressor and/or an extenal propellor (nuclear turboprop).

Turbojet version, complex: A heat exchanger is placed between the air and the reactor. The reactor is now cooled with some fluid - compressed helium, lithium, various salts, etc. - and the now-heated fluid in turn heats the air. The fluid and the air do not come into direct contact; fluid is contained within metal tubes (like the coolant in a regular car engine, just vastly hotter).

Surely it would spew radiation all over the countryside?

In direct cycle engines, like the first two described above, yes. In indirect cycle engines, no. The reactor is still hot and emits gamma rays and neutrons, but does not emit radioactive exhaust.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 12:39:39 pm by Orionblamblam »
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline LowObservable

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 06:06:53 am »
There have been nuclear UAV studies quite recently. It's not as crazy as you think. First, there's no crew to be protected from long-term exposure a few feet from the reactor. Second, you can use jet fuel to climb to altitude before turning up the teakettle, so you need less shielding around the engine. Third, you can actually exploit the nuc's advantage:  unlimited endurance.

Offline mz

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 07:14:49 am »
Since such high glide ratio UAV:s could get by with relatively little power, I wonder if a nuclear battery could work instead of a reactor. There are already solar UAV:s in the works.
Some nuclear materials glow even red hot by themselves. You could probably build it to survive a crash without spreading the radioactive material around. A jet, fan or a stirling engine prop might be the best way to extract power.

Offline XP67_Moonbat

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 09:40:32 am »
Hesham,

Good pictures in that last post. I have to add that the third and fourth pictures of the Northrop proposal were in my copy of 1958 AIR PROGRESS annual. It was good to see them again
In God we trust, all others we monitor. :-p

Offline Spring

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 10:44:34 am »
I don't think the nuclear aircraft idea would have been successful

Nuclear cores seems don't transfer very well the heat to the medium, because the heat is absorved by the fuel/moderator mass, 1000-1500ºC would have been the best transfered temperature, not very good for a jet propulsion concept

Maybe for some kind of turboprop with steam cycle (or some kind of gas using  stirling cycle) would have worked
Hello!

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 11:13:41 am »
the major point is that nuclear powered aircraft will crash like other aircraft also

only that this more a chernobyl like disaster...
I love Strange Technology

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 12:32:17 pm »
"the major point is that nuclear powered aircraft will crash like other aircraft also"

That's right and it will protests from many people ... if they know ! If not, then not ...
And remember, several satellites were using radioactive material, too, an sooner or later,
they all come back.
LowObservbles point is correct, I think : A nuclear powered UAV could cruise for very long
periods over an area and, if small and stealthy enough, nobody will notice. And even better :
If it comes down, there's no crew for interrogation. So, if this type it wasn't made public,
It would be quite deniable ! Who ? Me ??     ;D 
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline fightingirish

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 02:02:45 am »
5 years ago, there was a discussion about a "quantum nucleonic reactor powered Global Hawk".
Source: New Scientist - 19th February 2003 - Nuclear-powered drone aircraft on drawing board
PopMech wrote than a bad article about a quantum nucleonic reactor powered and mannend Global Hawk.  :-\

Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

McDonnell Douglas Model 225 painting by "The Artist" Michael Burke (Tavush) 2018, found at deviantart.com and at Secret Projects Forum » Research Topics » User Artwork » McDonnell Douglas Model 225 Painting

Offline hesham

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 03:42:36 am »
My dears,

the source for the Lockheed nuclear powered projects,L-125,L-195
and L-212 was this site;
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?tt=url&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aereisuperfile.it%2FdossierX6.php&lp=it_en&.intl=us&fr=yfp-t-501

Who can provide us a more info ?.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 03:45:09 am by hesham »