Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
25 June 2009
Messages
13,464
Reaction score
2,210
Lockheed nuclear-powered bomber project (CAMAL contender), very different from alleged designs previously shown and found in:

HEARING BEFORE THE SUBCOMMITTEE ON RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE
JOINT COMMITTEE ON ATOMIC ENERGY CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES
EIGHTY-SIXTH CONGRESS
FIRST SESSION ON THE AIRCRAFT NUCLEAR PROPULSION PROGRAM
JULY 23, 1959
Printed for the use of the Joint Committee on Atomic Energy
 

Attachments

  • nuclear aircraft.jpg
    nuclear aircraft.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 964
Interesting & unusual design; thanks for sharing, Stargazer2006.
 
They'd have had to have made the runway for it on the salt flats in Utah.
 
See also :Lockheed GL-145 via the search function..
 
CODE ONE magazine online posted this Lockheed design today. -SP


The Lockheed L-225 design concept was the company’s second look at a bomber powered by a small nuclear reactor. Although no engineering reports could be found on this design (which dates back to 1951) dozens of original drawings showing twenty-seven iterations of the basic layout were discovered. Each of the iterations shows the aircraft capable of carrying two missiles, rather than being strictly a bomber. The L-225, had it been built, would have been powered by four nuclear-fueled engines.
 

Attachments

  • WS-125A Nuclear Powered Bomber L-225.jpg
    WS-125A Nuclear Powered Bomber L-225.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 996
Steve Pace said:
CODE ONE magazine online posted this Lockheed design today. -SP

Er... not today. It's been there for a few days now... ::)
 
dozens of original drawings showing twenty-seven iterations of the basic layout were discovered.

Would be great to see more, specially those armed with missiles ::)
 
I saw in the Code One mag.page that the L-225 is 'take two' ....
Is there somewhere a 'take one' ?
 
Look here for L-195...and zillions of amazing unbuilt projects

Mother Ships, Parasites and More: Selected USAF Strategic Bomber, XC Heavy Transport and FICON Studies, 1945-1954 (American Aerospace Archive 5)

http://retromechanix.com/category/publications/books-and-magazines/
 
Does anyone have any info on USAF Secret Project MX-1627: Lockheed - Low Altitude Nuclear Powered Bomber Studies? -SP
 
My dear Steve,


in this period,there is many Lockheed designs for nuclear powered bomber,but which
one ?.
 
hesham said:
My dear Steve,


in this period,there is many Lockheed designs for nuclear powered bomber,but which
one ?.
As it's stated and/or MX-1627 specifically. -SP
 
My dear Steve,


maybe it was L-212 or L-225 ?.


http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/12/the-lockheed-l-225-nuclear-pow/
 

Attachments

  • 2012_Spotlight_L225_1267828237_5499-thumb-560x338-169903.jpg
    2012_Spotlight_L225_1267828237_5499-thumb-560x338-169903.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,018
A long time ago, somewhere around the 1950s I ran across the Convair NX-2 and the Lockheed NX-1. At the time my experience was insufficient to take note of the reference and since then I have never been able to find a reference to the Lockheed NX-1. I know this does not identify what Steve is looking for, but it is another hint of search direction.
 
MX-1626 = very early B-58 studies

Assuming MX-1627 is roughly contemporary, we are probably looking at L-212 and the followon L-225. L-212 is specifically described as low altitude. It has very small wings.
 
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
MX-1626 = very early B-58 studies

Assuming MX-1627 is roughly contemporary, we are probably looking at L-212 and the followon L-225. L-212 is specifically described as low altitude. It has very small wings.
I'll check into it - Thanks! -SP
 
Jos Heyman said:
A long time ago, somewhere around the 1950s I ran across the Convair NX-2 and the Lockheed NX-1. At the time my experience was insufficient to take note of the reference and since then I have never been able to find a reference to the Lockheed NX-1. I know this does not identify what Steve is looking for, but it is another hint of search direction.
Thanks for your input! -SP
 
Hi.

Another illustration + caption of the Marietta study (and dates)

A.
 

Attachments

  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 456
  • s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 452
Hi!
CL-293-64 nuclear power aircraft.(Bomber?)
Power plant ; One P&W NJ-2 320MW nuclear reactor and six-400LBS/SEC turbojet engines.

http://alternathistory.com/seans-aviatsionnoi-arkheologii-v-ofise-lockheed-martin

"Lockheed CL-293, circa 1955, powered by six turbojets engines and one 320-megawatt nuclear reactor. The plane had a total weight of 603 900 pounds (273 924 kg)."
 

Attachments

  • Lockheed CL-293 -dataー.jpg
    Lockheed CL-293 -dataー.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Lockheed CL-293.jpg
    Lockheed CL-293.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 245
Back
Top Bottom