Register here

Author Topic: III Reich Aircraft Carrier Projects  (Read 21546 times)

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: III Reich Aircraft Carrier Projects
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 09:14:37 am »
In his book "Einziger deutscher Flugzeugtraeger Graf Zeppelin" by Ulrich H.-J. Israel, the author wrote, that many
points in that ship certainly would have been changed, if ever intensive trials would have been done. Some points
principally were known to be less, than optimal from the start, e.g. the armament with sixteen15 cm guns in twin
casemates, or the use of take-off trolleys for launching the aircraft. The construction of the "Graf Zeppelin" was
started without experience, so faults were inevitable, but maybe could have been remedied in a second ship.
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline sgeorges4

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 02:36:41 am »
What kind of catapult would have replace the one from the graf zepelin for the Flugzeugträger B? My doc also said that some part of the Flugzeugträger B were sold to italy and use for the Aquilla,true or not?

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/131364-hot-or-not-italian-aircraft-carrier-aquila/

Offline observer144

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 06:57:46 am »

[IMAGE CREDIT: US Navy/Wikimedia Commons]

It is just me, or does that seem like an excessive number of portholes for a surface combatant? Obviously the torpedo protection is unimpeded, but with war load and a little list, it seems like it would increase risk of not being able to control flooding & damage control.

Offline sgeorges4

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 03:19:29 am »
where the aircraft can take off without the catapult or not? The answer seem to be yes from the cover of this book but I'm a bit doubtfull:

Offline sgeorges4

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 08:27:23 am »
From the mentioned site :

"Further, because the catapults only took up the forward section of the flight deck it was possible for GZ to
simultaneously launch and recover aircraft, something no other carrier during the war was capable of."

Not correct, to my opinion. The USN Yorktown class was fitted with catapults ("accelerators") in 1941 and
simultaneous launch and recovery of aircraft could be done with relative safety on these ships, because
a "crash barrier" was used, quite a massive steel net (definitely not liked by the pilots), whereas for the
GZ only a fifth landing cable was proposed as a safety measure against failed landings.

"Further, she wouldn't need to inconvenience accompanying ships in a tactical situation by having to turn into
the wind to launch aircraft."

Depended on the weight of the aircraft. Lightly loaded, it probably was true, but with heavy loads, like torpedoes
or bombs the GZ would have had to create wind over the deck by steaming at higher speeds ... like every other
carrier (mentioned in the Israel book, too).

And if the full length of the flight deck could be used and the carrier made full speed ahead, even those famous
B-25 medium bombers could be launched from a carrier of that era !
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline sgeorges4

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 10:27:38 am »
their seem to have been 2 variant of the Weser (Seydlitz conversion):

annyone to confirm?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:48:17 pm by Jemiba »

Offline Tzoli

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 10:56:56 am »
The full light carrier conversion is definitely true the hybrid Cruiser-Carrier I'm not confident with...

Offline Hood

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 12:53:21 pm »
The upper cruiser-carrier image is a fake. It's from Damien Burke's 'Admiral Furashita' alternate history.