Vought "Advanced Interceptor" studies (SAMI, ADLI, HSV)

Vought SAMI (Vought Heritage via Elider)

Attachments

• Vought SAMI.jpg
    Vought SAMI.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 732
Personal picture of a model, via Elider

Attachments

• Vought-1a.jpg
    Vought-1a.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 644
overscan said:
Bringing together the various stuff posted already.

Vought HSV designs (Vought via Mark Nankivil)

the kind of pics that scream "TURN ME INTO PLASTIC!!!"
A model of this thing would be fabulous...

definitely one of the coolest designs i have seen! wasn't the VOUGHT SAMI concept supposed to run a j-58 in close to the same trim as the a-12/sr71?

Just had a small thought. Lockheed was working with Vought on V-507 for VFX around this time, right? So maybe theres some A-12/SR-71 DNA involved here somewhere...

Having received my copy of American Secret Projects last week, I've been looking it over. There are some neat a/c in there. I'm especially interested in the NAA design that looks like an early iteration of the F-15. However, I expected to see this Vought design in there, & unless I'm overlooking it, it's not there. Any of y'all with inside info know why it got left out? It's one I was surely hoping to find out more info about.

overscan said:
Personal picture of a model, via Elider

No, it isn't. BTW, a new snippet of info: according to Interavia (8/71) the Vought HSV/SAMI were presented officially by Sol Love at Le Bourget Salon of 1971. The hunt is open...

I'm fascinated with 'dart' one - truly beauty...thanks, thanks, thanks...

sferrin said:
overscan said:
Vought dart, enhanced. Looks like A1 to me.

Wonder what the two fairings on the top are for.

well, err...wing hinge joints fairings? carrier-based thing? just a guess...would be hard to imagine it at the catapult line with such wing sweep angle

Main landing gear (Tu-160 style)? The wing looks thin and is highly swept, so legs retracting perpendicular to the centreline would have been so short as to provide little ground clearance for the ventral engines/intakes. Think something akin to the WWII Corsair, basically... (except hinged at the back rather than the front, probably)

Hmmm. Guess what was also on the tail of the Vought SAMI? A1.

Possibly V-518 QRI interceptor for USAF, 1971? Related to the other high speed studies like HSV/SAMI?

Another pic. This shows canards and matches SAMI related Navy fighter shown earlier. Is it me or does the painting show a tilting cockpit?

Attachments

• Secoy1EngineCanardStudy.jpg
    Secoy1EngineCanardStudy.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 994
  • Vought-SAMI_2.jpg
    Vought-SAMI_2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,563
...One assumes that the wintips at least flatten out to prevent scraping the flight deck.

Hi All -

One of the studies I copied shows a couple of ideas for addressing catapult launches and landings aboard ship and the tilting cockpit section is one of them. I'll find that page, scan it and post it tomorrow.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Anyone please show me the meaning of SAMI.
Super Advanced Manned Interceptor ?
Semi Automatic Manned Interceptor ?

SAMI=Strategic Advanced Manned Interceptor
Overscan:keen eye and awesome memory to recall that artist's drawing of the tilting cockpit. IIRC, it was a very small part of a much larger pic of a SAMI.

overscan said:
Another pic. This shows canards and matches SAMI related Navy fighter shown earlier. Is it me or does the painting show a tilting cockpit?

Interesting shadow that bottom one has. ;)

Hi All -

Here's some pulls out of Advanced Interceptor Studies I made copies of. The copies in the Vought files that I copied were poor - much to Scott's frustration! I've cleaned them up as best I can...

UHTV - Unmanned hypersonic test vehicle

ADLI - ?

AMI - Advance Manned Interceptor

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• LTV AI-0500K Visibility Enhancing Concepts.jpg
    LTV AI-0500K Visibility Enhancing Concepts.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 948
  • LTV Configuration A1-0103A.jpg
    LTV Configuration A1-0103A.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 908
  • LTV Configuration A1-0101A.jpg
    LTV Configuration A1-0101A.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1,227
  • LTV A1-0101 Configuration Refinement.jpg
    LTV A1-0101 Configuration Refinement.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 1,304
  • LTV Base Point Vehicle Configurations.jpg
    LTV Base Point Vehicle Configurations.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 1,414
Yup. Cockpit tilts up to provide landing visibility. Clumsy, to say the least.

worked okay on the Fairey Delta 2, and it gets round the droop-nose patents.

ADLI...Advanced Deck Launched Interceptor??

cheers,
Robin.

Aha. AI - "Advanced Interceptor" - is the overall program. So the AI on the tail *is* significant.

So, the tail has "AI" on it which links it to the Advanced Interceptor program at Vought. See the topic here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1848.0.html

Not to be redundant here, but considering these designs largely appear to be the same -- what's the difference (in terms of performance and role) between a SAMI, an ADLI, and an HSV?

HSV - High Speed Vehicle. A generic concept for high speed adaptable for different missions.
SAMI - A land based interceptor for air defence.
ADLI - a carrier based interceptor for fleet air defence.

As to performance, your guess is truly as good as mine, as I haven't seen any dimensions let alone any performance figures.

overscan said:
Vought SAMI (Vought Heritage via Elider)

This picture figures in the Docavia "les avions Voughts" (1983). I've just checked it to see (you never know) if they had something on the subject... zippo. Nada. Rien.

AI-0103A and AI-0101A's engine length is very short. What is this engine?
It seems not to be afterburnig turbo jet engine! :eek: ???

some type of supercharged ejector ramjet??

cheers,
Robin.

Hi! "Strategic advance" means this engine?
Is it Pulsed Detonation Wave engine? (I don't know what PDWE is, only know the name.)
Super charged ramjet engine is not need high speed(supersonic speed) for work?

I think it would be some kind of high speed turbojet, like the J-58, assuming its aiming for Mach 3. This design family was presumably born around 1966-67 as a rival to the Lockheed F-12B interceptor. However the engine in the drawing does seem far too short to be a turbojet.

Hi Overscan! It might be a duct durning turbofan engine same as P&W JTF17A.

engine design looks like it differs between variants. on some of the artwork depicting the AI 0101 and 0105 you have the round intake configuration with a possibly variable position cone which brings j58 in blackbird config to mind, as noted by others.

in ALDI 0101 and 0103 almost looks like a SERJ as shown on the proposed x15 testbed models and drawings. although due to the quality of these docs it could easily be fuzz in the image.

either way, would be very interesting to know more about. i guess more details were probably swallowed up by time and classification?

blackkite said:
Hi Overscan! It might be a duct durning turbofan engine same as P&W JTF17A.

Yes, possibly a duct burner that taps flow out of the high pressure compressor
(to eliminate the choking problem J58 fixed with bypass), and instead send that
to a duct burning arrangement (if you wanted to reduce engine length).

The other possibility is a dry turbojet (no afterburner), but you burn
stoichiometrically (equivalence ratio = 1). The engine there would be short
because there is no afterburner. But the hot section of the motor would
be HOT!

There you need to cool the engine. Because of IHPTET, today they have
materials that can do that, but for late 1960's, they didn't. So if they really
wanted to do this they'd probably have to do something with regenerative
cooling perhaps, for maybe awhile, while the interceptor was speeding to
intercept. But this one is not on the historical charts that I know of.

I don't know if I buy they were trying to really make the engine short, unless
they thought they could do this for significantly less weight than an afterburner.

Larry

Found it !!

P&W had a military duct burning version of the JTF17 civilian
duct burning SST engine called the JTF16B. It was P&W's
entry in the AMSA competition. It looks short but it's unclear if
that is all of it.

You can see the picture of it in Flight International; 5 Jan. 1967; pg 34
at the top (left hand side).

You can find it online at:
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1967/1967%20-%200032.html

Was looking through old Flug Revue today and came across a photo of this at possibly the Bourget salon. The photocopier packed up... :mad:

It was a rear shot - interesting sort of engine "plug" nozzle?!

Have left instructions with the librarian and hopefully can collect a load of stuff next Friday.

Regards,
Barry