Well, there was one that 'almost' made it. Baynes proposed transporting tanks by fitting them with wings, as in this patent. He got as far as flying a 1/3 scale model, the Baynes Bat

Interesting, I was under the impression that the full-size Baynes Carrier Wing was intended to carry the Valentine tank, however the Patent Drawing shows a Tetrarch . . .

cheers,
Robin.

One such lesser-known project is the LG 105 cargo glider, which we tell the story of here:
The Air Force's transport capacity for personnel and equipment for its own maintenance was for a long time extremely limited. This posed a problem as the air forces regrouped between different emergency fields around the country during the years of unrest. The maintenance units had to follow, and a transport by land was many times cumbersome and took a long time. This was the background to an idea to deal with the transport problem long before the time of the helicopters and the major transport plans. The idea was to provide the Swedish Air Force with cargo gliders that were towed according to existing "tugs" and which could be included in the regroupings of the air forces. The idea is probably inspired by the Allies' aviation activities, where cargo gliders were in frequent use.

Depending on timing and information flow, it might also have been inspired by the Luftwaffe's use of gliders on the Eastern front. At some point three gliders—carrying technical supplies, maintenance personnel and/or ammunition—were assigned to each Stuka-Geschwader. The gliders were towed with the wing on each change of base.

There were also a limited number of Go 242’s were fitted out as maintenance and repair shops. Thus equipped, they were towed to the front where and when needed.

I found these two images.

IMG_1183.jpg
The first image shows a three-view drawing of the unbuilt Frankfort XCG-1 8-seat transport glider from Bill Norton's book American Military Gliders of World War II

1642029600868.png
This side view drawing from the website of the late Jos Heyman is of the larger 15-seat Frankfort XCG-2, which like the XCG-1 was not built or flown.

Well, there was one that 'almost' made it. Baynes proposed transporting tanks by fitting them with wings, as in this patent. He got as far as flying a 1/3 scale model, the Baynes Bat

Interesting, I was under the impression that the full-size Baynes Carrier Wing was intended to carry the Valentine tank, however the Patent Drawing shows a Tetrarch . . .

cheers,
Robin.
I know doodly about tanks but the patent (application Nov 1941) says the proposal was to transport a light tank of about 7 tons. Wiki says the Tetrach was about that weight while the Valentine was more than double. Perhaps the whole concept was to be scaled up.

cheers,
Robin.
I know doodly about tanks but the patent (application Nov 1941) says the proposal was to transport a light tank of about 7 tons. Wiki says the Tetrach was about that weight while the Valentine was more than double. Perhaps the whole concept was to be scaled up.

Thanks for that. The requirement for the Baynes Wing to carry a Tetrarch would seem to me to be in competition to the General Aircraft Hamilcar glider, which could also carry the Tetrarch. However it was my understanding that the Baynes Carrier Wing was originally to compete with the Hafner Rotatank tank carrying autogyro, which was designed to carry the Valentine.
See HERE and HERE.
It seems that further research is needed.

cheers,
Robin.

Thanks for that. The requirement for the Baynes Wing to carry a Tetrarch would seem to me to be in competition to the General Aircraft Hamilcar glider, which could also carry the Tetrarch. However it was my understanding that the Baynes Carrier Wing was originally to compete with the Hafner Rotatank tank carrying autogyro, which was designed to carry the Valentine.
See HERE and HERE.
It seems that further research is needed.

cheers,
Robin.
Philip Jarret wrote a (very) short article about the Bat in Aeroplane May 1990 but makes no mention of any rival designs. Hafner's Rota** family precede Baynes by a little and his proposal for a Rotaplane to carry a Valentine tank was submitted to the MAP in December 1942 https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/hafner-rotabuggy-flying-jeep.22464/,
so it does appear that there is a link between the two, even if it was unofficial.

cheers,
Robin.
Light Tank Mark VII Tetrach weighed 17,000 pounds and could only be carried by the huge Hamilcar glider. With only thin armor and a 2-pounder gun, Tetrach was deemed too light for regular ground combat, Tetrachs were given to airborne forces and delivered by gliders. Tetrachs were only used in two battles: invasion of Madgascar in June 1942 and the Normandy landings in June 1944.

Valentine Light tank weighed 32,000 pounds and was armed with variously 2-pounder, 6-pounder and 75 mm QF guns. The 75 mm gun severly cramped the turret, so was rarely used.

I. Glider KAI-5 "Falcon" designer G. N. Vorobyov. 1 - pilot and 4 - paratroopers. The first flight May 1941. 1 - glider was built.

Attachments

• Planer-KAI-5.-Shema..jpg
    Planer-KAI-5.-Shema..jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 40
II. Glider "Eagle" designers I. I. Afanasyev, B. V. Kucherenko and L. M. Rodnyansky. 1- pilot and 10-11 - paratroopers. 1 glider was built.

Attachments

• Eagle.jpg
    Eagle.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 45
III. Glider BDP-1 designer N. N. Polikarpov. The first flight was in September 1941. 1 - pilot and 16 - paratroopers. 2 gliders were built.

Attachments

• BDP-1.jpg
    BDP-1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 46
IV. Glider K-G designer L. P. Kurbala. 2 - pilots of 20-25 paratroopers or one 76 mm cannon . The first flight in January 1942. 2 gliders were built.

Attachments

• K-G.jpg
    K-G.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 52
V. Glider SAM-23 designer A. S. Moskalev. 1 - pilot and 20 - paratroopers or a car "Willis" The first flight of the beginning of 1945. 1 glider was built.

Attachments

• SAM-23.jpg
    SAM-23.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 47
VI. Glider KTs-20 designers P. V. Tsybin and D. N. Kolesnikov. The first flight in October 1941. 2 - pilots and 18 - paratroopers. 68 gliders were built (according to other data, 50).

Attachments

• KTS-20.-Shema..jpg
    KTS-20.-Shema..jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 56
VII. Glider Ts-25 designers P. V. Tsybin. The first flight at the end of 1944. 1 - pilot and 25 - paratroopers or 1 - Willis car with a cannon or 3 motorcycles. Serial production since 1947

Attachments

• ts25-2.jpg
    ts25-2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 71
From Aeroplane 1944.

Attachments

• 13.png
    13.png
    318 KB · Views: 38
  • 14.png
    14.png
    643.8 KB · Views: 50
I assume a non-pilot came up with this dramatic method of spot landing a Go-345.

Attachments

• Gotha Go-345 Point Landing.jpg
    Gotha Go-345 Point Landing.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Go-345 Point Landing Normal-German.jpg
    Go-345 Point Landing Normal-German.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Go-345 Point Landing Catastrophe-German.jpg
    Go-345 Point Landing Catastrophe-German.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Go-345 Point Landing Normal.jpg
    Go-345 Point Landing Normal.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 29
  • Go-345 Point Landing Catastrophe.jpg
    Go-345 Point Landing Catastrophe.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 38
To the joker who did the numerical manipulations for the splat landing: You first!!

I believe a cook should be willing to taste his own cooking before expecting anyone else to eat it : )

From Kryl'ya Rodine 2023-5/6.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 2.png
    2.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 36
  • 3.png
    3.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 4.png