General Airborne Transport XCG-16 Combat Glider

jzichek

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
[font=verdana, sans-serif]Check out this article at RetroMechanix.com on the General Airborne Transport XCG-16, an American flying wing type combat glider with twin booms and a single rudder dating from 1944:

6209429515_5a9dc731dc_o.jpg

The article reproduces an Army Air Force preliminary evaluation report on the type, which features 21 high resolution photos of this innovative but ultimately unsuccessful aircraft.

-Jared[/font]

Retrofit said:
Very interesting information and photos! Thanks Jared.

Splendid. Many pics in this article I had never seen before!

Fantastic!!! Thank's a lot for the report. BTW Is this glider a bit "Burnelli-like"?

Well, this is a famous prototype, not a secret project... Maybe the Aerospace forum would have been a better place, no? It has been photographed in flight, more than the Carplane modern project (a topic I made, that has been moved to Aerospace).
Even the MC-1 first prototype (the XCG-16A being the second, twice bigger) has been photographed (I have a copy somewhere, from Aeroplane Monthly May 1990)

A second post on the XCG-16 has been added to RetroMechanix.com featuring an additional 17 photos of this unusual lifting fuselage military transport/assault glider:

6239145986_cbc22d41c9_o.jpg

The high resolution photos include some interesting shots of the glider being towed by a B-17.

-Jared

Very nice! Thank you so much for sharing all this great material. Wish you could find similar pics of the Bowlus/Douglas CG-7 and CG-8!

Stargazer2006 said:
Very nice! Thank you so much for sharing all this great material. Wish you could find similar pics of the Bowlus/Douglas CG-7 and CG-8!

I don't know if you have seen these yet, but they are posted at the San Diego Air & Space Museum Archives' (SDASM) Flickr site (link). When SDASM first started posting photos on Flickr, they were purposely posted in a degraded resolution. Since they were accepted into the Flickr Commons program, they have posted full resolution photos. Unfortunately, these were posted before that period. However, I am aware that SDASM is making an effort to update these earlier posted photos with full resolution versions.

Bowlus XCG-7
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/4564659712/
4564659712_8d577d8612_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/4564029233/in/photostream
4564029233_e64b1fa46b_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/4564659640/in/photostream
4564659640_c91ff0fd0b_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/4564029149/in/photostream/
4564029149_c55b722812_z.jpg

Tophe said:
...the MC-1 first prototype (the XCG-16A being the second, twice bigger) has been photographed (I have a copy somewhere, from Aeroplane Monthly May 1990)

Here are the images and relevant text from the above :-

"At around the same time Bowlus began work on a twin-boom flying-wing glider for military transport work. In order to test his design he began work on half-scale proof-of-concept flying model, forming the Airborne Transport Company in Los Angeles, California for the purpose. Construction of the test model was carried out in his tiny shop, a former dry cleaning shop where there was just sufficient room to build the two-seat open-cockpit prototype. On completion. the glider was flown at Muruc Dry Lake, now the site of Edwards AFB. The glider flew well and
Bowlus and partner Albert Criz set about designing, building and marketing the full-size glider, the XCG-16."

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• bowlus twin boom #1.png
    bowlus twin boom #1.png
    435.6 KB · Views: 75
  • bowlus twin boom #7.png
    bowlus twin boom #7.png
    541.1 KB · Views: 57
  • bowlus twin boom #6.png
    bowlus twin boom #6.png
    171.8 KB · Views: 54
  • bowlus twin boom #5.png
    bowlus twin boom #5.png
    227.7 KB · Views: 55
  • bowlus twin boom #4.png
    bowlus twin boom #4.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 58
  • bowlus twin boom #3.png
    bowlus twin boom #3.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 57
  • bowlus twin boom #2.png
    bowlus twin boom #2.png
    261.7 KB · Views: 71
Awesome, Robin! Hadn't seen these before.

So if I'm not mistaken, there were three separate designs (although the MC- designations are often different depending on the sources):
  • Bowlus MC-1, the scaled-down glider seen in the above photos.
  • General Airborne MC-2 (Sept. 43), a twin-boom 42-place flying-wing cargo glider. XCG-16-GA (not built).
  • General Airborne MC-1A (1944), a 14-place cargo glider, two built as XCG-16A-GA (44-76193 and ?). Scaled-down version of above.
What I haven't been able to determine is if the second XCG-16A did exist or not.

Sorry, I've posted all I have.......

cheers,
Robin.

Color 1943 test flight footage of the Hawley Bowlus and Albert Criz designed Airborne and General MC-1 (NX-21757) and the subsequent General Airborne Transport XCG-16A (USAAF Ser. No. 44-76193) transport gliders has recently been posted on YouTube by the Southern California Wing of the Commemorative Air Force (CAFSoCAL). CAFSoCAL describes the footage as 1943 test flights taking place at Oxnard Air Force Base, California (known today as Camarillo Airport (CMA / KCMA)) that was "donated to CAFSoCal museum along with the center section of the wind tunnel model of the aircraft."

YouTube - XCGS 16 Bowlus Glider Test Flights

Last edited:
Higher quality color footage of the General Airborne Transport XCG-16A (USAAF Ser. No. 44-76193) posted on YouTube by Periscope Film. The film is described, "This fascinating, silent 16mm movie comes from the estate of William Hawley Bowlus (May 8, 1896 - August 27, 1967) or someone who was close to him."
YouTube - Periscope Film "WWII FLIGHT TESTS OF XCG-16 CARGO GLIDER DESIGNED BY HAWLEY BOWLUS 28754"

Last edited:
Hi!
General Airborne Transport XCG-16 Combat Glider [LIMITED to 500px].jpg
General_Airborne_Transport_XCG-16_--_2000-3085_(flight).jpg CG-16_2.jpg
XCG16-1-of-2-35x22in-300px.jpg
XCG16-2-of-2-35x22in-300px.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome, Robin! Hadn't seen these before.

So if I'm not mistaken, there were three separate designs (although the MC- designations are often different depending on the sources):
  • Bowlus MC-1, the scaled-down glider seen in the above photos.
  • General Airborne MC-2 (Sept. 43), a twin-boom 42-place flying-wing cargo glider. XCG-16-GA (not built).
  • General Airborne MC-1A (1944), a 14-place cargo glider, two built as XCG-16A-GA (44-76193 and ?). Scaled-down version of above.
What I haven't been able to determine is if the second XCG-16A did exist or not.

Is a drawing of the MC.2 possible ?

Back
Top Bottom