Russian carrier aircraft designs of the 1940s

Nick Sumner

Live! From the Belly of the Beast!
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information (particularly illustrations) on the designs that were prepared for use aboard the projected carriers of the Project 71, Project 72 and Kostromitinov classes?

There seem to be 4 basic designs known as the 'Kostromitinov Fighter Project', the 'Kostromitinov Bomber Project', The 'TsNII-45 Fighter Project' and the 'TsNII-45 Bomber Project'. (I assume TsNII is a design bureau and the -45 refers to the year of the design.)

There are some basic stats on the web such as their weight, speed, range/endurance, armament and in some cases dimensions but I am not aware of any illustrations.

Thanks in advance.

Badongo. How does this work, please? All I can get is the intro upload page.

Just wait a few seconds for Java slots to free-up, then copy the letters you see in the graphic image in the filed and download
Cheers!

Here you have some drawings

Attachments

• project 72 6rh4fu.jpg
    project 72 6rh4fu.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,350
  • project 71 5xb1jg.jpg
    project 71 5xb1jg.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,280
  • pr 69av 7ps5ko.jpg
    pr 69av 7ps5ko.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,209
  • pr85 9qh5ij.jpg
    pr85 9qh5ij.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,234
And another one

Attachments

• kostromitinova 1py2uc.jpg
    kostromitinova 1py2uc.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,211
Looking at these drawing, what nation carrier designs did the Russian's base their designs on -Japan, Britian or America ???

Regards
Pioneer

Project 71 was an early 1940´s desgin based on Chapaey / Kirov cruiser (maybe a conversion).
Project 72 was a mid-late 1940´s design based on british Illustrious class.
Project 85 has american (Midway) and french (Clemanceau) influences

Stoyan, could you email me the pdf too? I can't get Badongo to work either ???

my email is nsumner at bigpiepics dot com

Thanks!

OK, had one last try and got it to download in the end.

Hurrah! ;D

Erm...

Would it be greedy to ask if there is a translation? :-[

I`ve got it too ::)

very nice stuff...but a translation (well just a little summary) would be extasy

Unfortuanately there is almost nothing pre-1950. William Green's book mentioned a carrier-based torpedo bomber (no data but the drawing looks _very_ much like the IJN "Grace" torpedo bomber with clipped wingtips).

My guess is that any aircraft would either be bought overseas (which seems unlikely) or modifications of existing aircraft. For the fighter the light MiG series would be a good choice. However, no dive or torpedo bombers existed. Perhaps something like the Su-2 or Il-2 with no armor and a more powerful engine would be the way to go.

Just my 2 cents...

eltf177 said:
William Green's book mentioned a carrier-based torpedo bomber (no data but the drawing looks _very_ much like the IJN "Grace" torpedo bomber with clipped wingtips).

Which William Green book is that?

Are you thinking of the Chetverikov PTI?

If at first... patience is a virtue! Badongo worked at last!

For translation try altavista babelfish or Free text on line. They can be a bit mechanical and sometimes fail on technical words, but better than nothing
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
http://www.online-translator.com/text.asp?lang=en

Some of the 1940s Russian carrier drawings in this thread come from this Russian language book. The book also has drawings of cancelled Italian and French designs. I am attaching an image of the cover.

I can't read a single word of it.

Attachments

• MysteryBook.jpg
    MysteryBook.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 888
Chyetverikov torpedo-fighter, 1945-47, so probably intended for the 72 or Kostromitinov classes?
Source is second edition of Guston's Osprey Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft, a much overlooked (in this Yefim Gordon's era...) but much valuable source, expecially for pre 1950 projects... I have other desings of carrier-base URSS aircraft. I'll post here if you like ;D

Attachments

• PTI.jpg
    PTI.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,014
I think it looks more like the Fairey Spearfish than the Grace.

Skybolt said:
Chyetverikov torpedo-fighter, 1945-47, so probably intended for the 72 or Kostromitinov classes?
Source is second edition of Guston's Osprey Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft, a much overlooked (in this Yefim Gordon's era...) but much valuable source, expecially for pre 1950 projects... I have other desings of carrier-base URSS aircraft. I'll post here if you like ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the download, thanks! I too would like to see the Soviet carrier aircraft!

Does enyone have more info of the Chyetverikov PTI ,
( project ) carrier based torpedo fighter of 1945-47 ?

Source : The Osprey Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft / Bill Gunston 1995.

Swallow.

In 1943 at the initiative of the Minister (нарком) of the Military Navy N.Kuznetsov in the main headquarters of the Navy has developed tactical task to build the first for Russia Navy aircraft carrier special construction. (Before that, several attempts have been made at preliminary projects, is based on light cruisers, several aircraft carriers).
Documentation on this ship (Project 72) in 1944 to comply TsKB-17 under the guidance of chief engineer V.Ashiq/В.В.Ашик (1905-1985). It called for basing up to 62 aircraft. OKB Chyetverikov's suggested that a carrier-based torpedo PT-1 with the engine M-71 or M-82 and convert the Yak-9K in the carrier-based fighter.
As reconaissance was to be used KOR-3 with the engine M-87A Beriev's. (details: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8602.msg78087.html#msg78087 )
The main method of aircraft take-off was adopted by their free running start on the deck (catapult considered a reserve).
No other information yet.
Sources: "Arms and equipment"; N. Valuev, S. Skrynnikov" Naval aviation "(Inkombook 1995)

Attachments

• PT-1 M-82.jpg
    PT-1 M-82.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 429
  • Chetverykov PT-1.jpg
    Chetverykov PT-1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 451
  • PT-1M-82 project by I.Chetvericov.jpg
    PT-1M-82 project by I.Chetvericov.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 466
Thanks for a very interesting info!
I've heard about this project before, but I didn't know how did it look like.

Hi!

It's interesting, that picture shows PT-1 in catapult-launching configuration (with landing gear retracted) attached to catapult' trolley system. This is similar to some Italian and other crusiser-based aircraft, that have been launched from the rotating catapult from conventional warships, without landing deck.

In USSR such method of launching has been tested fro Spitfires and KOR-2 scouts, from the catapult, installed on "Molotov" cruiser.

Pic source http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal5/4101-4200/gal4191_ReggianeRE-2000_La-Civita/00.shtm

Attachments

• Reggiane catapult.jpg
    Reggiane catapult.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 287
Skybolt said:

Hi,

of course that a well known design to Chertvrikov,the PTI,here is anther
drawing and artist drawing to it.

http://alternathistory.org.ua/palubnyi-torpedonosets-pt-1m-82-okb-chetverikova-proekt-1944g

Attachments

• PTI  1.JPG
    PTI 1.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 733
  • PTI  2.JPG
    PTI 2.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 791
Last edited:
Hey guys, I know this thread is ancient but I'm interested as well in that PDF on page one but the link is dead and the poster hasn't been on since January. Can someone who has it e-mail it to me please? PM and I'll send address.

Thanks,
-Mike

Also, does anyone know if there is another link to the book in the wunderwaffe narod link? It doesn't work either.

Also, does anyone know if there is another link to the book in the wunderwaffe narod link? It doesn't work either.

works fine for me . i had the original pdf many harddrives ago but have since lost it iirc it was a couple pages from a russian magazine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both wunderwaffe narod links work fine but the page that the the 2nd link (weapon book) opens is a set of links that all generate 404 errors :(

Please make sure to go back to your posts after submitting. shaba's message above is a good example of something totally unreadable...

hesham said:
Hi,
of course that a well known design to Chertvrikov,the PTI,here is anther drawing and artist
drawing to it.

To post Reply # 25
The correct designation PT-1M-82. not PTI
Shipborne torpedo bomber design I.V.Chetverikov. (KB of Plant № 458)
Several of the original drawings in the best quality single-engine and twin-engine torpedo bomber.
Also, I do not think that this is a well-known projects. ;)
When that I posted earlier projection of this plane, but the search function is not led to nothing.
source :Maslov- Marine Planes of the USSR

Attachments

• ??-1M-82.jpg
    ??-1M-82.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 641
  • ??-1M-82  2v.jpg
    ??-1M-82 2v.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 622
  • PT-82  (PT-2M-ASh-82) (I.Chetverikov).jpg
    PT-82 (PT-2M-ASh-82) (I.Chetverikov).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 624
Excellent my dear Borovik,

and the last drawing is new for me,thank you for sharing.

borovik said:
To post Reply # 25
The correct designation PT-1M-82. not PTI
Shipborne torpedo bomber design I.V.Chetverikov. (KB of Plant № 458)
Several of the original drawings in the best quality single-engine and twin-engine torpedo bomber.
Also, I do not think that this is a well-known projects. ;)
When that I posted earlier projection of this plane, but the search function is not led to nothing.
source :Maslov- Marine Planes of the USSR

Here is the PT-1M-82 with more info.

Корабельные самолеты-разведчики СССР

Attachments

• PT M-82.JPG
    PT M-82.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 305