They're reiterating that bullcrap claim again.
Yeah, it's not clear how much we should read into this. A government official tweeting a link to something as stupid as this is a bit unsettling. It implies that this guy doesn't know diddly squat. In fact, the discussion about "prompt global strike" happened a decade ago, and it's about very different methods. So simply by tweeting that, this guy implies that he's clueless.
I hope you're not just finding out politicians know diddly squat about most things. ;)

He's not a politician. Based upon his title, he's "Special Presidential Envoy for Arms Control" and his bio indicates he's a subject matter expert in arms control. I'd assume that somebody in that position would know that the "rods from god" idea is baloney and therefore would not be tweeting about it. But I'm probably assuming too much.

Yeah, it's not clear how much we should read into this. A government official tweeting a link to something as stupid as this is a bit unsettling. It implies that this guy doesn't know diddly squat. In fact, the discussion about "prompt global strike" happened a decade ago, and it's about very different methods. So simply by tweeting that, this guy implies that he's clueless.
I hope you're not just finding out politicians know diddly squat about most things. ;)

He's not a politician. Based upon his title, he's "Special Presidential Envoy for Arms Control" and his bio indicates he's a subject matter expert in arms control. I'd assume that somebody in that position would know that the "rods from god" idea is baloney and therefore would not be tweeting about it. But I'm probably assuming too much.
Most of the stuff I've read from arms control "experts" sounds like it was written by POGO. Only American nuclear programs will cause an arms race for example. (Which I guess is true. If only one side is running it's not a race.)

I don't see much Arms Control in his background. Security negotiations covers a lot of ground and most of it is not related to strategic armament or space technology. The vast majority of his background is in business and financial matters.

Most of the stuff I've read from arms control "experts" sounds like it was written by POGO. Only American nuclear programs will cause an arms race for example. (Which I guess is true. If only one side is running it's not a race.)
Or worse CATO or Quincy

mmm, as with sand castles, you just need to let the tide come in. Some weapons could assist with that, probably without needing to go into space, and come back, first.

Actually there are more problematic that seems. To took out reinforced concrete island fortress you need either to go nuclear (which would be an escalation & allow Chinese to use nukes against your military objects), or use unreasonably large amount of conventional munitions. The same with submarine pens, hardened air bases, ect.

On the other hands, orbiting rods could smash island fortress/underground sub pen/underground air base without much problems.
And why would the target care, whether the island fort was razed using a nuke, or using something else with similar power?

And why would the target care, whether the island fort was razed using a nuke, or using something else with similar power?

Legal technicalities) China SPECIFICALLY recognized nuclear weapons by declaring the no-first-use doctrine and sticking to it rather hard. I.e. if nuke is used, China would be perfectly able to answer in kind. But if non-nuclear WMD is used, China is stuck into the situation, when it could not legally retaliate with nukes without breaking its own doctrine.

While you are correct that dead is dead, the TARGET would care because any survivors could crawl out of the rubble and maybe recover and survive, without dying of rad poison. The WORLD cares because there's no radioactive clouds floating around crapping fallout.

Being able to do nuke level damage without the horrors visited on the Japanese fishing fleet circa 1953 would probably be destabilizing.

OTOH when people say say "tactical nuclear yield!" in association with this they're talking about a W-53 (Davey Crocket/Backpack nuke) at a low setting and that's a stretch. as I understand it these are closer to a Tallboy or Grand Slam in 'splodieness.

What if it's been accelerated downwards by a rocket motor?

Possible, but the cost of launching the suitable rocket motor into orbit...

Orbital kinetic strikes are good weapon even without that; they are perfect choice against such targets, as, say, Chinese island fortresses.
Assuming these rods are on some orbiting structure, the motors could be taken up separately.

Once more, with feeling: If you have a kinetic weapon, unless you play some terribly complex games with gravity by slinging it from planet to planet in a complex decade-long dance, you only get *out* of the weapon what you put *into* it.

Think of a bullet: how destructive is it? To first order, how much gunpowder was used tells you how destructive it is. Those fifty grains of gunpowder are the *maximum* total energy that can be packed into the bullet. So with a Rod From God, the total energy of the weapon will come from the rockets that boosted it. If you pile all the rockets used, from the multi-stage space launch system to the orbital maneuvering system to the de-orbit booster, do you have a nuclear weapons worth of energy? No, you don't, unless your weapon was hefted by a Sea Dragon.
True but the purpose is to have the weapon in orbit ready to strike.

Once more, with feeling: If you have a kinetic weapon, unless you play some terribly complex games with gravity by slinging it from planet to planet in a complex decade-long dance, you only get *out* of the weapon what you put *into* it.

Think of a bullet: how destructive is it? To first order, how much gunpowder was used tells you how destructive it is. Those fifty grains of gunpowder are the *maximum* total energy that can be packed into the bullet. So with a Rod From God, the total energy of the weapon will come from the rockets that boosted it. If you pile all the rockets used, from the multi-stage space launch system to the orbital maneuvering system to the de-orbit booster, do you have a nuclear weapons worth of energy? No, you don't, unless your weapon was hefted by a Sea Dragon.
??? Having it in orbit doesn't automatically give it the power of a nuclear weapon.

??? Having it in orbit doesn't automatically give it the power of a nuclear weapon.
Never said it did. But it's quicker than launching it from the ground to strike.

Assuming these rods are on some orbiting structure, the motors could be taken up separately.

But still needs to be launched. Significantly increasing the cost - rocket booster, capable of slowing the orbital velocity significantly would be... rather enormous.
You would probably use a reusable launcher. You wouldn't slow the orbital velocity you would use the booster to divert the path towards the target.

You would probably use a reusable launcher. You wouldn't slow the orbital velocity you would use the booster to divert the path towards the target.

The idea is, that rod's orbit must intersect with Earth surface at the point of the target location. The most obvious way to do that is to slow the rod down enough, that the orbit height would decrease to the point when it would intersect with Earth surface.

We could also try to boost rod on the elliptical orbit with perigee at target, but it would be more complex, and rod would travel a lot through the atmosphere, I'm afraid (it would enter it at rather slant angle).

The idea is, that rod's orbit must intersect with Earth surface at the point of the target location. The most obvious way to do that is to slow the rod down enough, that the orbit height would decrease to the point when it would intersect with Earth surface.

We could also try to boost rod on the elliptical orbit with perigee at target, but it would be more complex, and rod would travel a lot through the atmosphere, I'm afraid (it would enter it at rather slant angle).
If you slow the rod down, you defeat the purposes of the exercise. The lethality of the rod IS its velocity. I think it was mentioned early in the thread that friction with the air alone will slow them from 11 kps to about 3 kps. A rocket was mentioned as an option earlier, but if used, it would realistically only reduce velocity loss to friction rather than add any.

(Note that I base my prognostications on the vast breadth and depth of engineering knowledge conferred by a History degree....so do check my work. )

Picture is (I think) of the KERP ( CAM-40? ) warhead proposed for for Pershing 2 in the 1980s intended to attack Warsaw Pact Runways. It's not an orbital system but perhaps similar in effect. It also gives an idea that the concept was considered viable at realistic impact energies, ie: much lower energies than "tactical nuke level".

Attachments

• CAM-Terminal-1-S.jpg
    CAM-Terminal-1-S.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 53
Never said it did. But it's quicker than launching it from the ground to strike.

Generally incorrect. The time from "hit it now" to a Mighty Rumble tops out at about 45 minutes if you launch from the ground. But for an orbital platform, it;ll be anywhere from just a couple minutes to several *hours* depending on orbital paths and positions and number of platforms.

Generally incorrect. The time from "hit it now" to a Mighty Rumble tops out at about 45 minutes if you launch from the ground. But for an orbital platform, it;ll be anywhere from just a couple minutes to several *hours* depending on orbital paths and positions and number of platforms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment#Real_life_concepts_and_theories OK its Wikipedia, but it mentions that 6-8 satellites in an orbit will have one passing over a given point at 12-15 minute intervals, which has global implications for a polar or Molniya orbit. However that particular datum is crying out for a "citation needed" flag, (or better yet, a citation). I've seen this figure quoted several places but not found any authoritative source on it. Does anyone know if this is true?

Also: While "hit it now to mighty rumble" might take 45 minutes via ground launch, it's going to involve launching a rocket, unscheduled, on a ballistic trajectory, over intercontinental ranges, which, depending on bearing, is likely to spook the sorts of people who have vast quantities of ICBMs on hand with less velocity dependent payloads...which, in turn could lead to great embarrassment and dismay.

Not sure what exactly you mean by Mighty Rumble, but the Soviets were scared of the Space Shuttle's supposed decapitation strike capabilities.

Brickmuppet said:
The goal for Falcon Heavy is reportedly 100 launches. One can assume a Chinese equivalent will be similar so 100 launchers give 10 thousand launches which result in 20,000 or 50,000 warshots on station depending on the orbit chosen. In a polar orbit the whole enchilada could be fired at one target in a 24 hour period. Optimistically assuming a firing window of one half hour for each satellite, about 213 shots would be in position over any point on Earth at any time. Optimistically assuming a launch a week per rocket, the USSF or the People's Liberation Army Taikonaut Attack Corps (?) could put this sword of Damocles up in two years or so.

While I'm sure we can all agree that a launch a week for two years of a F9H class booster carrying USSF payloads would be a laudable goal, it would pretty much necessarily cause an arms race... which might or might not be a good thing. As with any satellite, there are chances of something going screwy and the thing falling out of orbit. Usually a satellite coming down results in harmless things like burnt bits of tank landing in the outback or Soviet fissionables scattered across a grateful Canadian tundra, but having tungsten telephone poles belly flopping out of the wild blue yonder could make for some entertaining CNN Personally I think it'd be worth the risk *if* those rods have white stars painted on the side... but if it's a red star, that's not so good.

Launching a *few* of these into orbit makes for an interesting tactical weapon. If the US and China tangle over, say, a Chinese invasion of the Spratleys or Japan, and one side or the other sinks a ship or two with a rod or two... things *may* stay conventional. but if one side has thousands of rounds overhead, they cease to be tactical weapons and become strategic. China sinks an American carrier with one of these from there vast orbital stockpile, chances are fair that the US Navy will respond not with some F-18's dropping JDAMs, but with an Ohio launching a barrage of Tridential howdies.

The Soviets feared that the Space Shuttle could be used to nuke Moscow. I wonder about the possibility of the Starship being converted into a similar role as a carrier for the rods. Musk has promised aviation-like availability rates and if flying in a LEO could probably hit the target within 45 minutes of launch. The Starship could carry around 10 of them.

No need to station them in orbit and start an arms race or militarize space. Leaving them in orbit also makes them more vulnerable and would cost 10s of trillion vs launching from the ground.

What do you guys think? I included the links on the Space Shuttle below.

Bombing missions
Okhotsimsky and Sikharulidze stated in their report that the shuttle would offer several advantages over intercontinental ballistic missiles, as well as so-called “global missiles,” the term the Russians used for rockets that would place nuclear weapons into orbit, after which they would de-orbit themselves and approach US territory from the south. The Soviet Union actually performed flight tests of such a system using the R-36 missile of the Yangel design bureau in the late 1960s and early 1970s (in the West this was known as a Fractional Orbit Bombardment System, or FOBS, and the Russian development of such a system may have led Okhotsimsky and Sikharulidze to assume that the Americans sought a similar capability.) While an ICBM needs just 30 or 40 minutes to reach its target, it spends much of its time at high altitudes (up to 800–1000 kilometers), making it easy to detect. In contrast, because it flies over the South Pole, the shuttle would need 70–80 minutes to reach its target, but flying at an altitude of 185–200 kilometers and approaching the Soviet Union from the south, it would be much harder to detect by Soviet early warning systems. An orbiting nuclear weapon is also easy to detect and its trajectory can be quite easily predicted, making it easy to take countermeasures. It also has a much lower strike accuracy, so they thought the shuttle would be better for this mission.

Okhotsimsky and Sikharulidze then provided an alarming scenario for the American shuttle: a mission with the aim of dropping a “special payload” (in other words, a bomb) on Moscow.

Okhotsimsky and Sikharulidze stated that the shuttle’s crew would make it possible to increase flexibility and even to call off the operation at the last moment. Strike accuracy would be increased by the ability to accurately determine the position of the orbiter before the de-orbit burn. With the help of the US Air Force’s Global Positioning System (GPS) then in development, that accuracy was expected to improve to 50 meters by 1981, and to 10 meters by 1984.

Okhotsimsky and Sikharulidze then provided an alarming scenario for the American shuttle: a mission with the aim of dropping a “special payload” (in other words, a bomb) on Moscow. The shuttle would enter the atmosphere at an altitude of 110 kilometers some 17 minutes after the de-orbit burn at 30 degree northern latitude. Four minutes after entry interface, at an altitude of 67 kilometers and with the orbiter at 47 degrees north, it would drop the bomb, which would hit its target about three to four minutes later at a speed varying between 200 and 500 meters per second. Detection would be made even more difficult by the fact that the orbiter and the bomb would be enveloped by a cloud of ionized gas at altitudes between 45 and 75 kilometers which cannot be penetrated by radio signals. Meanwhile, the orbiter would “turn in such a way that its lift would be aimed upwards with a roll angle of about –30°.” This would enable it to “come out of its dive and perform a lateral manoeuvre” to place it on a trajectory back to Vandenberg. Not having enough speed to reach the launch site, it would fire its Orbital Maneuvering System (OMS) engines (ideally at an altitude of about 100 kilometers) to provide a delta-V of about 200 meters per second. Exiting the atmosphere at a speed of 7.2 kilometers per second at 61 degrees north, the orbiter would reach a maximum altitude of 120 kilometers and then begin its final descent to Vandenberg. In contrast to the initial dive, which would take just 7.5 minutes, this gradual descent would take about 35 minutes.

ground tracks

Illustration from the IPM study showing the shuttle’s dive into the atmosphere and subsequent re-boost maneuver. The light line represents the trajectory of the shuttle and the dark line that of the “special payload”.

One major problem with the scenario portrayed by Okhotsimsky and Sikharulidze was that the shuttle did not have a bomb bay on the bottom of the spacecraft. Instead, it had a payload bay with large doors mounted on its top that could not be opened during reentry. They did not address this issue in their report.

Okhotsimsky and Sikharulidze expected the shuttle to be used to strike “major administrative and military-industrial complexes,” the sudden destruction of which would offer the “attacking side” a major advantage. The shuttle could also be used to destroy mobile targets or “new targets of high military importance detected at the last moment.”

Not sure what exactly you mean by Mighty Rumble, but the Soviets were scared of the Space Shuttle's supposed decapitation strike capabilities.

A big-ass log of tungsten falling out of the sky at ten kilometers per second would make a Mighty Rumble when it hits the ground.

And any Soviets who were afraid of the Shuttle being used as a bomber were idiots, especially after NASA demonstrated an utter lack of ability to refurbish the thing in a period less than *months.*

A big-ass log of tungsten falling out of the sky at ten kilometers per second would make a Mighty Rumble when it hits the ground.

And any Soviets who were afraid of the Shuttle being used as a bomber were idiots, especially after NASA demonstrated an utter lack of ability to refurbish the thing in a period less than *months.*
That's why I think the BFR/Starship will just be too attractive to not militarize, if Musk can hit magnitudes close to what he quoted on price.

but the Soviets were scared of the Space Shuttle's supposed decapitation strike capabilities.
My understanding of the paranoia was that you can put several hundred city-killling MIRVs in a thirty-tonne payload bay.

It wasn't the payload size, but rather the time from release was too short for the Soviets to launch.

Depends how many systems you have in orbit and their distribution.

If you slow the rod down, you defeat the purposes of the exercise. The lethality of the rod IS its velocity. I think it was mentioned early in the thread that friction with the air alone will slow them from 11 kps to about 3 kps. A rocket was mentioned as an option earlier, but if used, it would realistically only reduce velocity loss to friction rather than add any.

(Note that I base my prognostications on the vast breadth and depth of engineering knowledge conferred by a History degree....so do check my work. )

Picture is (I think) of the KERP ( CAM-40? ) warhead proposed for for Pershing 2 in the 1980s intended to attack Warsaw Pact Runways. It's not an orbital system but perhaps similar in effect. It also gives an idea that the concept was considered viable at realistic impact energies, ie: much lower energies than "tactical nuke level".

That's what he said. You'd need a metric fook-tonne just to get limited utility and it would cost a fortune.

That's what he said. You'd need a metric fook-tonne just to get limited utility and it would cost a fortune.

All comes down to launch cost.

All comes down to launch cost.
That just gets added on. How big are the rods? How many per satellite? How many satellites? How much for each rod? How much for each satellite? Even a rough SWAG says the cost would make it an immediate non-starter.

it;ll be anywhere from just a couple minutes to several *hours* depending on orbital paths and positions and number of platforms.

Yes, indeed, the number of platforms in orbit will depend on the number of systems in orbit. One might even begin to suspect a one-to-one correlation.

That just gets added on. How big are the rods? How many per satellite? How many satellites? How much for each rod? How much for each satellite? Even a rough SWAG says the cost would make it an immediate non-starter.
Tungsten costs something like thirty grand per metric ton. A log of tungsten ten centimeters in diameter by three meters long would be about 23,500 cubic cm; at 19.3 gm/cm3 that's four and a half tons, or $135,000 just in raw materials. A tungsten rod like that placed into a stable orbit is likely to *stay* in a stable orbit, since drag will be of little consequence to it, but the system will need a pretty badass de-orbit system as well as a complex and expensive guidance system that can control it from de-orbit down to impact. Rocket systems that can sit in LEO for years and fire up reliably at a moments notice ain't cheap. Guidance and control systems ain't cheap. Turning raw tungsten or tungsten carbide or some other alloy or cermet of tungsten into a shaped rod ain't cheap. I can easily see a single weapon costing ten million dollars just to build. Now assume you need ten thousand of them to provide the sort of coverage you need, and you start butting up against noticeable sums of money.

Let's start with a typical six-ton rods, each with it's own retro-rocket & common satellite bus for several rods to move them on required oribt. And let's start with two satellites on the opposite points of orbit, so any one could be readied to strike within the hour interval.

And that's a SMALL penetrator. They always like to mention "telephone poles from space" and that gets you ~51,000lbs. ;) Speaking of tungsten you should see Demolition Ranch try to destroy a cube of it. 50 BMG is about the only thing that does more than put a smudge on it. :D

Last edited:
And that's a SMALL penetrator.

Well, the 6-ton rod impacting at 7.8 km/s have an energy equivalent of 44 tons of TNT, i.e. about a 100 BGM-109 Tomahawk missile warheads. Which is actually quite good, if you need to take out hardened target in the depth of opponent's territory. The cost of one BGM-109 unit now is about 1,4 millions, so 100 missiles would cost about 1400 millions - 1.4 billions - not counting the cost of launching platforms.

So, we have some numbers to play with. One rod could be an equivalent in destructive power to about 100 strategic cruise missiles (conventional), which would cost circa 1.4 billions alone. It's hard, of course, to calculate how much would the rod itself (with its retro-rocket and orbital bus) cost, but quite probably no more than a hundred millions or so. Plus the 60-80 millions for the Falcon-9 rocket to put the whole assembly on orbit, and we have about 100-150 millions per rod. High, but not astoundingly high cost.

In pure theory, the most advantageous orbit for the rods would be the polar orbit, which would allow them to cover most of the Earth surface. Several pairs of rods need to be launched to obtain 1-hour reaction time at any possible targets around the Earth. The rods needed to be equipped with enough supply of delta-V to make inclination change to hit specific targets, though. And inclination change is... costly. Especially considering that we could not use the usual three-burn solution (boost the rod on high elliptic orbit, made change ad apogee, boost it back to circular with a new inclination). On the other hands, we could use atmosphere maneuvering to slash the delta-v budget a bit (at the cost of some velocity...)

Tungsten costs something like thirty grand per metric ton. A log of tungsten ten centimeters in diameter by three meters long would be about 23,500 cubic cm; at 19.3 gm/cm3 that's four and a half tons, or $135,000 just in raw materials. A tungsten rod like that placed into a stable orbit is likely to *stay* in a stable orbit, since drag will be of little consequence to it, but the system will need a pretty badass de-orbit system as well as a complex and expensive guidance system that can control it from de-orbit down to impact. Rocket systems that can sit in LEO for years and fire up reliably at a moments notice ain't cheap. Guidance and control systems ain't cheap. Turning raw tungsten or tungsten carbide or some other alloy or cermet of tungsten into a shaped rod ain't cheap. I can easily see a single weapon costing ten million dollars just to build. Now assume you need ten thousand of them to provide the sort of coverage you need, and you start butting up against noticeable sums of money.

Keeping them in orbit is a bad idea. It's a trade off between the number of "satellites" needed for coverage and the time to target. The lower the satellite the more vulnerable it is to, in addition to the charge of militarizing space. Assuming the BFR can get anywhere near the launch reliability and cost that Musk has stated, it changes the equation a lot. There's definitely a difference in EROI, if it's being launched from the continental US, than anywhere else.

We know a lot more about smashing things together at high speeds and putting them through the atmosphere, that a rod of tungsten wouldn't be the best option. I'd imagine it would be a 3D printed warhead (type depending on the target) and a cheap shielding along the lines of PICA.

The lower the satellite the more vulnerable it is to, in addition to the charge of militarizing space.

There is no prohibition against deploying non-WMD weapons in orbit. But I agree, that fractional-orbital scheme - i.e. when the rod is boosted on orbit with required inclination, within the 1-2 orbital periods is targeted precisely and dropped down - is more advantageous. The tricky part is time to prepare the booster, of course.

Well I do agree with that, with Brilliant Pebbles (which was a proposed ABM system) it was reckoned that 4063 were needed. It would also be very easy to knock out these floating monstrosities with missiles unless they had some major laser CIWS integrated. Space hijack would also be a possibility.

putting them through the atmosphere, that a rod of tungsten wouldn't be the best option.

Actually it's probably would. It is narrow (i.e. meet minimal frontal air resistance due to small cross-section), it is massive (i.e. hard to slow down), and it did not need ablation thermal protection (tungsten would not melt on re-entry velocity).

Well I do agree with that, with Brilliant Pebbles (which was a proposed ABM system) it was reckoned that 4063 were needed. It would also be very easy to knock out these floating monstrosities with missiles unless they had some major laser CIWS integrated.

The simplest solution would be to have some interceptors hanging on the rod sattelite bus itself, so they could intercept the enemy interceptor.

P.S. The most realistic space combat is probably "an offensive swarm of kinetic interceptors is trying to punch through the defensive swarm of kinetic interceptors, covering the target".