https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2017/10/20/all-of-germanys-submarines-are-currently-down/

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/german-air-force-only-has-four-active-typhoon-jets/

Principally no doubt, but what makes me rather sceptical is this :
"...according to a report by German news outlet Spiegel".
Perhaps you still can trust that mag with regards to articles about the
number of impotent men in Germany, but certainly not with regards to
defence questions. The days of the Starfighter affair, or of the article
about the "limited defence preparedness" (starting point of the then
so-called "Speigel Affäre") are long gone for that editorial team.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/06/germany-debates-return-national-service-amid-serious-military/

Grey Havoc said:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/06/germany-debates-return-national-service-amid-serious-military/

A serious military cost a serious amount of money! If we want back to conspriction the size of the Bundeswehr will have to be seriously be increased which cost a serious amount of money.

Did i mentioned it cost a serious amount of money?

The budget part for the Bundeswehr it to small for the current size and they habe conscript a large percentes of every age group or the constution court will shut it down.

Conscription, will be teens and twenties as usual.

The discussion about the conscription in Germany is not only driven by military needs !
Already until seven years ago, a lot of conscripts did community service, instead of military
service. And nursing homes and similar facilities were quite dependent from that pool of
cheap staff. So suspension of conscription (it wasn't a complete abolition !) has driven the
costs for geriatric care (the main user of that staff) and other civil services, making it at least
easier to start that discussion now ... in the "Sommerloch".

Not saying it is only driven by the military, these markets for conscription will be looking for teens and twenties because that is where the majority of the need of suitable target organisations will want to go. |Young people who are a little more malleable and tbh, where conscription can make most impact on the unemployment numbers. The military is unlikely to agree on conscription having gone through much pain and reduction, it is just not feasable to go back to it. Instructor levels will be quite low and will take a lot of investment to grow fit for purpose.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/10/15/bundeswehr-rifle-trials-stall/

In an... interesting development, the German government has tried to blame the ongoing aircraft failures on sabotage.
:rolleyes:

A replacement for the foolishly retired Gepard SPAAGs is also urgently needed. Arguably, the Bundeswehr also needs something along the lines of the old Liberty system.

A replacement for the foolishly retired Gepard SPAAGs is also urgently needed. Arguably, the Bundeswehr also needs something along the lines of the old Liberty system."

I would think the German's would be more than capable of developing and fielding something along the lines of the 2k22 Tunguska, rather than the seemingly heavier "Liberty system" - a combination of a modernised/evolusionised Roland SAM and 35mm Oerlikon KDA cannons
cannons (and I emphasise without the fashionable improvised FIM-92 Stinger!!!)

Hmm, but what chassis to base such a system on??

Regards
Pioneer

A replacement for the foolishly retired Gepard SPAAGs is also urgently needed. Arguably, the Bundeswehr also needs something along the lines of the old Liberty system."

I would think the German's would be more than capable of developing and fielding something along the lines of the 2k22 Tunguska, rather than the seemingly heavier "Liberty system" - a combination of a modernised/evolusionised Roland SAM and 35mm Oerlikon KDA cannons
cannons (and I emphasise without the fashionable improvised FIM-92 Stinger!!!)

Hmm, but what chassis to base such a system on??

Regards
Pioneer

Unfortunately the German defence industry is in such a mess that in the short term at least, they are likely going to have to use designs already in existence, built or otherwise.

If they had to build a SPAAG and other large battlefield air defence vehicles in a right old hurry, then the Leclerc chassis may be the best choice technically speaking (for example they could effectively revive the Leclerc 'Flakpanzer' that was tested in the early 1990s), but politically speaking it may be a non-starter at the moment, not to mention the French have major problems of their own.

Last edited:
Well, they would have to put their hands in their own bank accounts and actually get ships ready for service. Not going to happen right now. Besides, why spend German money when they can 'allow' the Americans to spend theirs? Win - win for the Bundestag. No wonder the US eventually got sick of propping up European defence.

Some way has to be found to 'encourage' the German and other governments to properly contribute and I do not mean by 'borrowing' military units from other nations.

Well when you do not have enough boots, guns and beds for your troops I suppose the next thing to run out of is tanks. Does anyone else seeth when the bloody press screw up by calling an armoured car or IFV a tank? I gets up my goat like calling an F-16 a 'fighter jet', what else would it be and how about just calling it a fighter?

I think ‘jet’ means ‘aircraft’ In this context and it’s to make sure we realise they are discussing fighter aircraft and not boxers, martial artists or freedom fighters.

Similar considerations are now at play with the Orion replacement. A separate German-French cooperative program, the Maritime Airborne Warfare System (MAWS), is expected to produce a new aircraft by 2035. The program is still in its infancy, though, and the German navy needs new planes by 2025.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PBXtVcfr34

Last edited: