Perseverance Rover

The usual MO:
1. download low-res images quickly
2. choose which images they want in higher quality and put them in a queue for later download.

So I'd expect high-res images to show up in a few days, same as with the landing.
How about video with sound? I thought that was the whole point of the sensor suite? If it gets trickled out over a month, so it doesn't interfere with other stuff, so be it.

The usual MO:
2. choose which images they want in higher quality and put them in a queue for later download.

So I'd expect high-res images to show up in a few days, same as with the landing.
How about video with sound? I thought that was the whole point of the sensor suite? If it gets trickled out over a month, so it doesn't interfere with other stuff, so be it.

I thought that Ingenuity would have some sort of video camera onboard to take pictures and video when it was flying? I think that is an opportunity missed.

The usual MO:

Yes, video will get queued along with the other data.
The usual MO:

I thought that Ingenuity would have some sort of video camera onboard to take pictures and video when it was flying? I think that is an opportunity missed.
What makes you think there won't be?

A 0.5-megapixel navigation camera on Ingenuity’s underside will be snapping 30 photos per second of the ground to inform its movement.

Ingenuity has another, more powerful camera with 13 megapixels facing the horizon. That will snap pictures in midair, while cameras aboard Perseverance will aim to capture the helicopter in flight. All of those pictures will eventually be transmitted back to Earth.

The usual MO:

Yes, video will get queued along with the other data.
The usual MO:

What makes you think there won't be?

No video yet (of anything, a 2-frame repeated slide-show is not a video) and sub-AM quality "sound" so far.

Kinda made me roll my eyes at the extraordinary caution that was exerted placing it on the ground. Surprised they didn't place a feather pillow on the ground for it to rest on. The first landing will be a bit different.

Kinda made me roll my eyes at the extraordinary caution that was exerted placing it on the ground. Surprised they didn't place a feather pillow on the ground for it to rest on. The first landing will be a bit different.
You can't blame them. After losing Mars Climate Orbiter to what is essentially a typo, I'd be extra cautious too.

You can't blame them. After losing Mars Climate Orbiter to what is essentially a typo, I'd be extra cautious too.
It's all about CYA. IF they honestly thought they needed to be that careful then the mission is doomed. Such a helicopter would explode into a million dollar cloud of confetti the first time it landed

They're making sure the experimental helicopter doesn't damage their billion-dollar rover. When you're always one mistake away from ending the mission, you better be careful.

Quite right too Hobbes, the last thing that NASA needs is for the Mars helicopter to crash into Perseverance and potentially destroying the rover, better being safe than sorry.

"A historic flight in which a 4-pound NASA helicopter would attempt to hover above the surface of Mars on Sunday was delayed by at least several days Saturday, officials said.

“#MarsHelicopter 1st flight attempt delayed to no earlier than April 14. During the high-speed spin test, the sequence ended early during the transition from ‘preflight’ to ‘flight’ mode. The helicopter is safe & healthy. The team is diagnosing the issue,” mission managers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory tweeted Saturday.
"

So delayed several days saturday, launch wont be earlier than April 14 means the flight will be somewhere from April 14-17? It got my damn hopes up expecting the launch tomorrow on a relaxing weekend.

"A historic flight in which a 4-pound NASA helicopter would attempt to hover above the surface of Mars on Sunday was delayed by at least several days Saturday, officials said.

“#MarsHelicopter 1st flight attempt delayed to no earlier than April 14. During the high-speed spin test, the sequence ended early during the transition from ‘preflight’ to ‘flight’ mode. The helicopter is safe & healthy. The team is diagnosing the issue,” mission managers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory tweeted Saturday.
"

So delayed several days saturday, launch wont be earlier than April 14 means the flight will be somewhere from April 14-17? It got my damn hopes up expecting the launch tomorrow on a relaxing weekend.

Damn, I was looking forward to the first flight being today, April 14 is not long to wait though. Wonder why the delay?

Now I see why NASA moved the first flight of Ingenuity to Wednesday, better being safe than sorry.

From before the postponement:

Last edited:
Looks like it might be a little while before Ingenuity flies.

Looks like it might be a little while before Ingenuity flies.

So yet another possible delay to Ingenuity's first flight. I hope that this software solution can fix the problem that caused Ingenuity's delay in the first place.

Let’s hope that the first flight is a success and Ingenuity gets worthwhile data for Perseverance, which after all was the whole point of the Mars helicopter. I would hate to see Ingenuity fail on the first flight.
And lets hope we get something more than a 2-frame potato GIF.

Too true sferrin. I will have my fingers and toes crossed that the data sent back will be worth the wait.