• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Perseverance Rover

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Kinda made me roll my eyes at the extraordinary caution that was exerted placing it on the ground. Surprised they didn't place a feather pillow on the ground for it to rest on. The first landing will be a bit different.

skyblue

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Kinda made me roll my eyes at the extraordinary caution that was exerted placing it on the ground. Surprised they didn't place a feather pillow on the ground for it to rest on. The first landing will be a bit different.
You can't blame them. After losing Mars Climate Orbiter to what is essentially a typo, I'd be extra cautious too.

sferrin

Reaction score
You can't blame them. After losing Mars Climate Orbiter to what is essentially a typo, I'd be extra cautious too.
It's all about CYA. IF they honestly thought they needed to be that careful then the mission is doomed. Such a helicopter would explode into a million dollar cloud of confetti the first time it landed

FighterJock

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
They're making sure the experimental helicopter doesn't damage their billion-dollar rover. When you're always one mistake away from ending the mission, you better be careful.

Quite right too Hobbes, the last thing that NASA needs is for the Mars helicopter to crash into Perseverance and potentially destroying the rover, better being safe than sorry.

tequilashooter

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

"A historic flight in which a 4-pound NASA helicopter would attempt to hover above the surface of Mars on Sunday was delayed by at least several days Saturday, officials said.

“#MarsHelicopter 1st flight attempt delayed to no earlier than April 14. During the high-speed spin test, the sequence ended early during the transition from ‘preflight’ to ‘flight’ mode. The helicopter is safe & healthy. The team is diagnosing the issue,” mission managers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory tweeted Saturday.
"

So delayed several days saturday, launch wont be earlier than April 14 means the flight will be somewhere from April 14-17? It got my damn hopes up expecting the launch tomorrow on a relaxing weekend.

FighterJock

Reaction score

"A historic flight in which a 4-pound NASA helicopter would attempt to hover above the surface of Mars on Sunday was delayed by at least several days Saturday, officials said.

“#MarsHelicopter 1st flight attempt delayed to no earlier than April 14. During the high-speed spin test, the sequence ended early during the transition from ‘preflight’ to ‘flight’ mode. The helicopter is safe & healthy. The team is diagnosing the issue,” mission managers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory tweeted Saturday.
"

So delayed several days saturday, launch wont be earlier than April 14 means the flight will be somewhere from April 14-17? It got my damn hopes up expecting the launch tomorrow on a relaxing weekend.

Damn, I was looking forward to the first flight being today, April 14 is not long to wait though. Wonder why the delay?

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score

FighterJock

Reaction score

Now I see why NASA moved the first flight of Ingenuity to Wednesday, better being safe than sorry.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
From before the postponement:

Last edited:

Flyaway

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Looks like it might be a little while before Ingenuity flies.

FighterJock

Reaction score
Looks like it might be a little while before Ingenuity flies.

So yet another possible delay to Ingenuity's first flight. I hope that this software solution can fix the problem that caused Ingenuity's delay in the first place.

FighterJock

Reaction score

sferrin

Reaction score

Let’s hope that the first flight is a success and Ingenuity gets worthwhile data for Perseverance, which after all was the whole point of the Mars helicopter. I would hate to see Ingenuity fail on the first flight.
And lets hope we get something more than a 2-frame potato GIF.

FighterJock

Reaction score

Let’s hope that the first flight is a success and Ingenuity gets worthwhile data for Perseverance, which after all was the whole point of the Mars helicopter. I would hate to see Ingenuity fail on the first flight.
And lets hope we get something more than a 2-frame potato GIF.

Too true sferrin. I will have my fingers and toes crossed that the data sent back will be worth the wait.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score

Cannonfodder43

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Okay this may seem petty, but as a rotorcraft person - "naa naa" and a virtual sticking out of the tongue at all the starch wing type here.

In a friendly taunting sort of way.