2022 Decadal Survey

Flyaway

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
A study outlining priorities in planetary science for the next decade backs continued efforts to return samples from Mars while recommending NASA pursue missions to the planet Uranus and an icy moon of Saturn.

The final report of the planetary science decadal survey, developed by a committee of the National Academies and released April 19, also recommended work on a space telescope to track near Earth objects, a Mars lander to look for evidence of life and a lunar rover to collect samples that would be returned by astronauts.

“This report sets out an ambitious but practicable vision for advancing the frontiers of planetary science, astrobiology and planetary defense in the next decade,” Robin Canup, co-chair of the steering committee for the decadal survey and assistant vice president of the Planetary Sciences Directorate at the Southwest Research Institute, said in a statement about the decadal.

Here’s the report itself:

I like the recommendations. Two flagships: an Uranus orbiter and atmospheric probe (long overdue), followed by an Enceladus mission. Increase in basic research to support future missions (this is currently done as part of mission development, and JWST has shown what that can lead to). A warning not to let Mars sample return nuke other programs if/when its cost balloons. Investment in improved RTG. NEO Surveyor (postponing it in this year's budget was a dumb move).

I like the recommendations. Two flagships: an Uranus orbiter and atmospheric probe (long overdue), followed by an Enceladus mission. Increase in basic research to support future missions (this is currently done as part of mission development, and JWST has shown what that can lead to). A warning not to let Mars sample return nuke other programs if/when its cost balloons. Investment in improved RTG. NEO Surveyor (postponing it in this year's budget was a dumb move).
I think it’s a shame about Neptune missing out again. I imagine there is good reasons with identical missions can’t be sent to Uranus and Neptune, one shortly after the other.

I think it’s a shame about Neptune missing out again. I imagine there is good reasons with identical missions can’t be sent to Uranus and Neptune, one shortly after the other.

Apparently the survey ranked a Neptune-Triton mission below the Uranus mission because of orbital mechanics limits -- in the 2030s, it's significantly easier to get a launch to Uranus than Neptune. So maybe look for a Neptune launch in the 2040s?

A study from 2010 of an Ice Giant ORbiter or IGOR.

Also

Attachments

• Uranusprobe.jpg
    Uranusprobe.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 4
  • uranusprobe1_1024.jpg
    uranusprobe1_1024.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 4
  • uranusprobe2_1024.jpg
    uranusprobe2_1024.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 4
NASA Embraces Planetary Science Decadal Recommendations, With Caveats

Glaze showed three charts today comparing how much it would cost to execute everything that the Decadal recommended for the next 10 years, $41.120 billion, versus the Decadal’s estimate of a “flat” planetary science budget that assumes two percent inflationary increases, $34.990 billion, versus NASA’s current 5-year plan.

The top chart shows the funding needed for both Uranus and Enceladus, while the second includes only Uranus. Glaze said studies of how to execute the Uranus Orbiter-Probe mission will start no later than FY2024 with launch possibly in the early 2030s. As for Enceladus, those studies will not begin before FY2026.

“The near term is pretty challenging,” Glaze said. “We need to keep in mind that the current planning budget we have now is short of even the level budget, so [I’m] just trying to set expectations.” The Decadal is “inspirational and we will continue to advocate for budgets to support the aspirational goals of the Survey. But just to have a little bit of reality, we need to recognize that some of the recommended activities” may not be achievable.

Planetary defense has struggled to gain acceptance in the space science community because it is not considered “science” per se, but its inclusion in this Decadal Survey seems to be a game changer. The Decadal strongly supports NASA’s investment in planetary defense, especially the NEO Surveyor mission, a space-based infrared telescope specifically designed to locate NEOs. NASA proposed cutting NEO Surveyor’s budget in the FY2023 request and delaying launch for at least two years, but the Decadal calls for it to proceed expeditiously.

PDCO Director Lindley Johnson pointed out at the meeting today that the budget request was formulated before the Decadal was released. “Now seeing what the Decadal Survey committee said … we have important insight into what the community thinks” and it is “causing us to do a serious look as we put together the FY2024 request. … It’s an example of the impact that the Decadal Survey can have.”

Despite a small funding increase for 2023, NASA’s planetary science programs still face “significant stress” financially that contributed to the delay of one mission and could push back the start of others.

NASA received $3.2 billion for planetary science in the fiscal year 2023 omnibus spending bill signed into law Dec. 29. That was about $80 million more than what the agency received for planetary science in 2022 and $40 million above its request for 2023.

That increase, though, may do little to address some of the challenges NASA has been facing with current and future missions. Lori Glaze, director of NASA’s planetary science division, outlined those issues in presentations last month to the agency’s Planetary Science Advisory Committee and at a town hall during the Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union (AGU).