NASA Space Station Concepts

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
A BELLCOMM, INC. studie from July 23, 1968
by E. D. Marion J. A. Schelke

they proposed an smaller Space Station concept against Skylab (and MOL)!
Modules launch by Titan IIIM, with modified Gemini B capsule
the module are 17 ft long and 15ft ø weight 21,200 to 12,100 lb
Power system a 3 kw or 5 kw Brayton/Isotope system
this system permitted launch diverse Mission
one: Earth Looking
2 modules each 2 men
two: Astronomy
2 modules each 2 men and third module with Astronomical hardware
three: Physical Sciences
2 modules, one with 2 men, second is unmanned
four: Military
1 module with 2 men (contemporary to MOL mission)

first 3 mission types resupply ever 90 day with a unmanned Atlas Agena
the logistic module has a data return capsule
the Military mission stay only 2 to 4 months in orbit, so they need no resupply
intriguing is that Martion and Schelke propose next to USAF mission (analog to MOL) even Hybrid NASA / USAF missions !

total cost for program was estimated for $16 billion in 2011 US dollar

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19790072595_1979072595.pdf

Artist's impression of NASA three radial module space station concept circa 1962 found on eBay.

URL:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-NASA-Color-Photo-Space-Station-Artists-Concept-Kodak-Paper-/120814869603?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c21209c63

Attachments

• $(KGrHqEOKpQE6RgYTowlBOy!J1jSqQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqEOKpQE6RgYTowlBOy!J1jSqQ~~60_3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 533
I'm currently the high bidder. Back off, man!

tumblr_kos6w5WNma1qzgoa3o1_500.png

NASA Space Operations Center concept photo circa 1982 found on eBay.

Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BS-PHOTO-bqe-005-Space-Station-Concept-/200989911294?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item2ecbeea8fe

Attachments

• BQE-005-BS_F.JPG
    BQE-005-BS_F.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 477
  • BQE-005-BS_B.JPG
    BQE-005-BS_B.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 443
Lithograph of McDonnell Douglas Space Station concept from 1970 found on eBay.

Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-McDONNELL-DOUGLAS-Astronautics-NASA-EARTH-ORBITAL-SPACE-STATION-LITHOGRAPH-/281586382509?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418fdb36ad

Attachments

• McDonnellDouglasStation_04.JPG
    McDonnellDouglasStation_04.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 64
  • McDonnellDouglasStation_03.JPG
    McDonnellDouglasStation_03.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 91
  • McDonnellDouglasStation_02.JPG
    McDonnellDouglasStation_02.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 114
  • McDonnellDouglasStation_01.JPG
    McDonnellDouglasStation_01.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 453
Well know one of the Beastie Boy has to be space geek... The Radial Module Space Station and the Big Apollo both showed up in the artwork for 1998's HELLO NASTY album. Along with their own fanciful version of that station.

Attachments

• Hello Nasty (Front Inside)-2.jpg
    Hello Nasty (Front Inside)-2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Hello Nasty (Front Inside)-1.jpg
    Hello Nasty (Front Inside)-1.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 209
XP67_Moonbat said:
Well know one of the Beastie Boy has to be space geek... The Radial Module Space Station and the Big Apollo both showed up in the artwork for 1998's HELLO NASTY album. Along with their own fanciful version of that station.

Feh. Managed to gt the acceleration vectors *completely* wrong.

So did "Moonraker"...

"A" for effort, guess Hollywood mistakes are nothing new...

Later! OL J R :)

luke strawwalker said:
So did "Moonraker"...

"A" for effort, guess Hollywood mistakes are nothing new...

Later! OL J R :)

See the design again... yes your right
latest

Part of NASA's Innovative Advanced Concepts program.
Phase II fellow Zac Manchester of Carnegie Mellon University will continue his work on a concept for artificial gravity in space using a kilometer-size rotating structure. After launching on a single rocket, the proposed structure would deploy to 150 times its original size, becoming a huge rotating habitat that would provide artificial gravity equal to Earth's gravity in some parts of the structure[...]

That would be good for sails…or to hold reflectors to direct sunlight..no PV materials needed—but probably too limber for anything else. I would want a ring design strong enough to use as an undersea lab. It could take thrust then…land maybe. Something overbuilt.

That would be good for sails…or to hold reflectors to direct sunlight..no PV materials needed—but probably too limber for anything else. I would want a ring design strong enough to use as an undersea lab. It could take thrust then…land maybe. Something overbuilt.

That would be hugely expensive to get into space. Inflatables can be rigid (after inflation) enough to stand up to landing. See TransHab.

Randy

What is the blue in the top right arm....water??

I'm new here, long time space model collector and thought I would share a few photos of this, never did find out if it had a designation. I picked it up at a garage sale, it's in a museum now. I'll be posting a few Shuttle concept models in a different forum.

This is an early Martin Marrietta Space station concept model, probably early 1960's. Pretty cool, the 'dual floor' concept was interesting. I like the toilet with the seatbelt! It had control panels all over, a galley, crew berths and exercise bike! I have more interior pictures if anyone wants to see them.

Attachments

• brulle_station04.jpg
    brulle_station04.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 39
  • brulle_station01.jpg
    brulle_station01.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 41
  • brulle_station05.jpg
    brulle_station05.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 48
More pictures. Oxygen and fuel tanks with detachable heavy chrome nose cone. Not sure what some of these spheres and mounts were for.

Attachments

• DSC08831.JPG
    DSC08831.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC08835.JPG
    DSC08835.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC08828.JPG
    DSC08828.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC08843.JPG
    DSC08843.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 30
  • DSC08850.JPG
    DSC08850.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 40
Cool, thanks! :) Looking at the several instrument panels it seems there may be aging decal film/adhesive, I wonder if they used 'close enough' model kit decals or printed their own decals in house.

That's s one of those ideas that must have sounded really good to some aerospace engineer. In practice, I suspect it would be hopelessly disorienting.
I think it is based on using a spent Atlas/Titan missile stage to use for short term habitation. Easy-Peasy.