Messerschmitt Courier (turbojet fighter project)

kiradog

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on a late-war German scissor-wing project titled Messerschmitt Courier (turbojet project).
This design is similar to the Messerschmitt P.1108. I have a very simple resin kit by Part Time Models and was looking for more information to detail the kit - i.e - how was landng gear suppose to attach. Thanx in advance.

Gary

AFAIK, the project, which is called here "Courier" was a fixed wing aircraft,
whereas the P.1109 had variable geometry. Last year Mike Hirschberg published
an AIAA paper with the title "A Summary Of A Half-Century of Oblique Wing Research",
where he mentioned the the P.1109 and the "Courier", too. For the P.1109 there
were at least two variants proposed, one with a single wing, the other with scissor
wings. These designs are designated as P.1101/XYIII-108 in other sources.
About the "Courier" there are no further informations, there was just a line drawing
with the outlines and the positions of the wheels. To my opinion, not even the origin
of this desgn is clear, not to mention the role.

Attachments

• Me-P-1109_single.GIF
    Me-P-1109_single.GIF
    59.3 KB · Views: 390
  • Me-P-1109_scissors.GIF
    Me-P-1109_scissors.GIF
    66.3 KB · Views: 375
  • ME-fixed-X.GIF
    ME-fixed-X.GIF
    66.5 KB · Views: 381
It sound a bit strange that a German- late WWII project- haves an
English name 'Courier' -- Kurier in German

I've always assumed that with the name like "Kurier"/"Courier" & its fuselage door & windows it was more of an intended transport a/c rather than a combat type.

lark said:
It sound a bit strange that a German- late WWII project- haves an
English name 'Courier' -- Kurier in German

Agree with you, lark. VERY strange! It was 'normality' (an unwritten law) in those days to avoid non-German words (e.g. such stupid neologisms like 'Windloch'/'wind hole' for 'Fenster'/'window' due to its latin origin) ::) ...

In french the translaton for "Kurier" would be "courrier", I think. So we probably just
have a kind of description, not a real designation and AFAIK the source of this design
is said to come from french documents about Messerschmitt projects. And to me, the
layout of the fuselage looks french .. just have a look at the Latécoère 200 torpedo
bomber project.
Maybe the drawing of this "project" was just based on descriptions of a Messerschmitt
design with fixed scissors wings. We could start a contest, would it would have look like,
if drawn by a british, an american or a russian designer ... ;)

I was just wondering about the origins of the design.. ;)

AFAIK, the project, which is called here "Courier" was a fixed wing aircraft,
whereas the P.1109 had variable geometry. Last year Mike Hirschberg published
an AIAA paper with the title "A Summary Of A Half-Century of Oblique Wing Research",
where he mentioned the the P.1109 and the "Courier", too. For the P.1109 there
were at least two variants proposed, one with a single wing, the other with scissor
wings. These designs are designated as P.1101/XYIII-108 in other sources.
About the "Courier" there are no further informations, there was just a line drawing
with the outlines and the positions of the wheels. To my opinion, not even the origin
of this desgn is clear, not to mention the role.
The two-wing oblique-wing aircraft labeled as P.1109 is the aircraft that bears the designation P.1101/XVIII-108 in a drawing produced by Messerschmitt (see drawing on page 317 of Dan Sharp's book Secret Projects of the Luftwaffe Volume 1: Jet Fighters 1939-1945). Since the designation P.1109 is chronologically intermediate between P.1108 and P.1110 (both of which were conceived in January 1945), and the P.1101/XVIII-108 drawing is dated July 17, 1944, effectively predating the P.1108 and P.1110 designs by several months, it's highly unlikely that the P.1109 designation was used for the P.1101/XVIII-108.