McDonnell-Douglas Hypersonic projects from the 60s and 70s

XP67_Moonbat said:
Nice find! It's high time we had something new in this thread. :D

Thank you my dear XP67_Moonbat

From ; Аэрокосмическое обозрение №06 (67) 2013

here is some MD hyprsonic concepts in colors.

Attachments

• g.png
    g.png
    489.3 KB · Views: 286
  • f.png
    f.png
    771.5 KB · Views: 321
  • e.png
    e.png
    718.6 KB · Views: 338
  • d.png
    d.png
    872.5 KB · Views: 1,306
  • c.png
    c.png
    410.6 KB · Views: 1,394
  • b.png
    b.png
    800.8 KB · Views: 1,515
  • a.png
    a.png
    771.3 KB · Views: 1,697
I can only what aerospace goodies are left undiscovered that Prof C didn't talk about. That man and his knowledge were a national treasure.

Good Day All -

There's no one specific X-24C thread that I can find and of the threads that mention the X-24C, this seems the best fit for these McDonnell Douglas images. The three photos are from a collection donated to the Museum by a retired McAir Engineer. Not sure of this was tunnel tested as part of McAir's own hypersonic projects or done as a contract. Note the dates on the 2nd and 3rd images.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zX-24C wind tunnel model in tunnel.jpg
    zX-24C wind tunnel model in tunnel.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 290
  • zD4C-116681-2 Jul-30-75.jpg
    zD4C-116681-2 Jul-30-75.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 317
  • zC12-4518-2 Nov-11-75.jpg
    zC12-4518-2 Nov-11-75.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 457
Dear Hesham,

the illustration #3 is a mine one.
You can spot that the publisher has already respected the copyright (even with my name tranlsated in Russian!.

Ciao
Giuseppe

hesham said:

One can't help but wonder, with all this hypersonic work by McD, did they ever fly anything, will we ever hear about it, and is Boeing doing anything with it?

Good Day All -

A nice find in the Parks Air College archives was this photo of Paul Czysz with a familiar model in hand. McDonnell Douglas photo dated February 1982.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zPaul Czysz Feb-1982.jpg
    zPaul Czysz Feb-1982.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 338
Awesome picture!! Hopefully there's more on Cysyz and the 192 (among others) still to be found!

Additional HYFAC info:

Attachments

• HYFAC-Flightpath.png
    HYFAC-Flightpath.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 309
  • HYFAC-Options.png
    HYFAC-Options.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 270
  • HYFAC-Wind Tunnel Side.jpg
    HYFAC-Wind Tunnel Side.jpg
    884.4 KB · Views: 257
  • HYFAC-Wind Tunnel Top.jpg
    HYFAC-Wind Tunnel Top.jpg
    981.8 KB · Views: 261
archipeppe said:
Dear Hesham,

the illustration #3 is a mine one.
You can spot that the publisher has already respected the copyright (even with my name tranlsated in Russian!.

Ciao
Giuseppe

hesham said:

Oops,sorry my dear Archipeppe,

I just seen your respond,and forgive me,I did't note your name.

More HYFAC: Phase I trade study:

Of interest to me was the discussion (PDF pages 58-73) about the propulsion options, including:
  • Rubberized LR-129 up to 1 million lbf
  • Aerojet concentric-nozzle hypergolic engine of up to 600K lbf
  • Two different GE wraparound turboramjets
  • A Marquardt variable-geometry hydrogen scramjet
Also of note is a reference to a series of “Mach 5” tests of a hydrogen-fueled scramjet in 1967-68 by United Aircraft.

The references at the end could lead to quite a few adventures in FOIAing.

You find interesting designs while looking for other information. I was thinking of writing a book on the AMI program, but the book I'm working on now is taking so long, due to difficulty getting information, I don't see an AMI book happening, so there is no reason to hang on to these. I'm not sure they belong here, but it seems the other MAC AMI design studies are here so here are two more from THIS PDF At DTIC (A004214).

Mission A (The top image) is a duct burning Mach 3+ Interceptor and Mission B (The lower image) is an air-turbo-ramjet Mach 4+ interceptor.

Attachments

• Mission-B1.jpg
    Mission-B1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 467
  • Mission-A1.jpg
    Mission-A1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 436
Друзья, Может ли кто нибудь дать параметры (размеры, вес) М6 или М12?

You find interesting designs while looking for other information. I was thinking of writing a book on the AMI program, but the book I'm working on now is taking so long, due to difficulty getting information, I don't see an AMI book happening, so there is no reason to hang on to these. I'm not sure they belong here, but it seems the other MAC AMI design studies are here so here are two more from THIS PDF At DTIC (A004214).

Mission A (The top image) is a duct burning Mach 3+ Interceptor and Mission B (The lower image) is an air-turbo-ramjet Mach 4+ interceptor.
Interesting historical note: The P&W competitor to the GE4 (SST engine) was a 57,000lb thrust duct burner.

May be a different edit. I've recorded my from Discovery Channel Russia in 2007.
I still should have dvd-r somewhere, the question is where snd if it's labeled or still playable.
The other version is I could wrong attribute screengrabs.

I think would deserve to rest at 'Postwar Secret Projects' as they are not Aurora fantasies but actual concepts

They we're tech demo's not full on strike RECCE most would fly hypersonic for only a few minutes. Notice how large the inlets are sized compared to the rest of the vehicle. These vehicles had short range allowing just enough time to gather data on propulsion, TPS etc... MCD had a very well thought-out step-by-step progression for hypersonic development. Their lifting body/TOSS back booster MOL service plan was the most comprehensive TSTO VTOHL scheme I've ever seen. Based on high flight rate RLV’s it would be the prefect blueprint for a modern private enterprise LEO RLV CATS program. I would post pics however it is not mine to distribute publicly. Perhaps that information is out there buried in some old Air force DOD reports.
Low Earth Orbit Reusable Launch Vehicle, what's CATS?

From a Paul Czysz paper in: "Scramjet Propulsion" (Cuirran and Murthy editors), Paul
discusses the McDD concept shown in the second picture:
"The resulting aircraft rather resembled the Canadian CF-106 Arrow (CF-105 actually) with very large inlets
and did not offer a significant research value with regard to fully integrated propulsion systems."

and then a little later - a very interesting observation - and RASCAL
was going in this direction, somewhat. Quoting Mr. Czysz again:

"All the afterburning turbojet/fans used in the HyFac study were conventional installations
where the airflow to the compressor increased in temperature and pressure. At about Mach
number 1.8, most compressors reach the point where the corrected speed for design efficiency
equals the machanical rotational speed limit of the compressor. At Mach numbers above this
point the mechanical speed is constant and the corrected compressor speed (N/sqrt(T/288K)
decreases. If there is a cryogenic heat exchange in the inlet between the inlet exit and
compressor entrance, then the temperature of the air entering the compressor can be kept at
that for best corrected speed, up to the Mach number limit where the heat exchanger can no
longer keep the temperature within limits. When such a turbojet is thermally integrated with a
rocket, there is no longer a transonic acceleration deficiency. This is not a classic definition of
a turbojet." I may also add, this is similar to what skylon is doing.

Were any these your possible RASCAL refs:
There's also the option of dumping LOX or other substances that will greatly decrease the temperature and will also increase the available oxygen content in the air to be compressed. Nitrous Oxide, N2O, is an option. Liquid is at -125degF/-90degC and it breaks into 2N2 and O2 at about 570degF/300degC. I think that's the MIPCC(?) turbofan concept.

SHAZAM again!
It's an American MiG-31!

More American MiG-31s!

Back
Top Bottom