• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

McDonnell-Douglas Hypersonic projects from the 60s and 70s

LowObservable

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
+1. Multiply all masses by 2, increase all dimensions X 1.26 (cube root 2), replace 5 x RL-10s by 1 x XLR-129, clean up nose to reflect better fit of cockpit in basic allbody shape, SUPER SHAZAM!

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not think I have seen this particular document here before, though the same design already appears in another post.

Actively cooled hypersonic aircraft

STUDY OF A FAIL-SAFE ABORT SYSTEM FOR AN ACTIVELY COOLED HYPERSONIC AIRCRAFT, VOLUME I, TECHNICAL SUMMARY
by C. J. Pirrello and R. L. Herring
McDonnell Aircraft Company

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19760023110_1976023110.pdf

Attachments

mz

Reaction score
Stargazer2006 said:
I do not think I have seen this particular document here before, though the same design already appears in another post.

Actively cooled hypersonic aircraft

STUDY OF A FAIL-SAFE ABORT SYSTEM FOR AN ACTIVELY COOLED HYPERSONIC AIRCRAFT, VOLUME I, TECHNICAL SUMMARY
by C. J. Pirrello and R. L. Herring
McDonnell Aircraft Company
That is mind bogglingly large, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.

airrocket

Dreams To Reality
Reaction score
Website
RetroFlight.com
I am disillusioned when I see all the work done on hypersonic R&D during the 60's-70's and the best the USA can do in the 21st century with our supercomputers is the X-51. And it has crashed 2 out 3 flights. Even more atonishing to me is that the X-7 did Mach 4.31 way back in 1950's with a prop engine drop plane.

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhat understandable, but perhaps it helps to remember, that construction of the F-104 was started with
in 1952 ... and with regards to maximum speed, it might still top the F-22 or F-35. So, no progress in fighter
design ? And the drop plane, well, just use a C-130J (or an A400M !) and your quite near the '50s with this regards.
To my opinion, hypersonic flight regularly came (and comes) on the agenda, but seldom with a high priority.
Financial constraints have become larger, so our patience has to become larger, too ! ;)

DSE

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
airrocket said:
I am disillusioned when I see all the work done on hypersonic R&D during the 60's-70's and the best the USA can do in the 21st century with our supercomputers is the X-51. And it has crashed 2 out 3 flights. Even more atonishing to me is that the X-7 did Mach 4.31 way back in 1950's with a prop engine drop plane.
What makes you think the "supercomputers" are actually an absolute plus? They and the codes which run on them are just tools. Tools in fact which still have a lot of limitations. Yes they produce solutions to the problems which have been posed, however the real issue is how does the problem as posed relate to real life? I fear more and more the newer crop of engineers are composed more and more of "analysts" who can run the codes, but have no real experience how it relates to real life and really don't have a good grasp of the fundamentals in many aspects. Part of the problem is industry and government. Just look at job listings and much of what you see specifies code jockeys, not real engineers imo.

sferrin

Reaction score
DSE said:
airrocket said:
What makes you think the "supercomputers" are actually an absolute plus? They and the codes which run on them are just tools. Tools in fact which still have a lot of limitations. Yes they produce solutions to the problems which have been posed, however the real issue is how does the problem as posed relate to real life? I fear more and more the newer crop of engineers are composed more and more of "analysts" who can run the codes, but have no real experience how it relates to real life and really don't have a good grasp of the fundamentals in many aspects. Part of the problem is industry and government. Just look at job listings and much of what you see specifies code jockeys, not real engineers imo.
:-[

Sundog

Reaction score
airrocket said:
What the X-51 is doing and what the X-7 did aren't even close to the same thing. They had scramjets in development back then and they couldn't make them work. It turns out hypersonic scramjet aircraft are that difficult to develop. If they were easy, they actually would have been successfully flying them back then.

sferrin

Reaction score
Sundog said:
airrocket said:
What the X-51 is doing and what the X-7 did aren't even close to the same thing. They had scramjets in development back then and they couldn't make them work. It turns out hypersonic scramjet aircraft are that difficult to develop. If they were easy, they actually would have been successfully flying them back then.
They never actually tried to fly a scramjet. Does anybody know how much (if any) scramjet work they did in wind tunnels? What was the fastest they ever got one working (if at all)? They were also limited by material to a degree back in those days.

fossil

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
What about this project

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/rocketscience-05zzzc.html

DSE

Reaction score
fossil said:
What about it? Once you get past the PR hype you might not deem it so successful.
See AIAA 2006-8119, Flight Results from a Program to Develop a Freeflight Atmospheric Scramjet Test Technique R. O. Foelsche, S. A. Beckel, A. A. Betti, G. T. Wurst, R. A. Charletta, and R. J. Bakos.

"The dynamic pressure is shown to be higher than desired, due to the lower flight altitude coupled with near-target
flight Mach. This meant the engine, fueled at preset constant flowrate, would operate leaner than desired." About 60% of the desired f/a.

"however, unexpectedly the vehicle did not experience positive net acceleration resulting in a continuing slow decrease in flight Mach. .... the engine produced thrust; however, drag was greater than thrust. Shortly into the experiment at increased fueling the gas generator inlets first spilled out sideways and into the supersonic inlets, and subsequently they unstarted. During unstarted operation the vehicle decelerated much more quickly but the combustor was observed to stay lit.

....A residual coning disturbance that started during booster burn-out decayed while the engine was thrusting up to the time the GG inlets unstarted, and then the vehicles experienced large and rapid wobbling motions (coning). An azimuthal map of forebody cone pressures indicates the inlets did not all experience pressure rises at the same time, rather as the pressure rose in front of the 0o inlet it fell in front the 180o inlet, and vice versa, and this pressure imbalance amplified the flight disturbance.... With the imbalanced forebody pressure being driven by unsteady inlet unstart, this passively controlled fin-stabilized vehicle could not re-stabilize and recover steady engine operation while being fueled at fixed flowrate, while continuing to decelerate. "

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
Kno what? I want to go back to the subject of those 60's & 70's projects. Particularly about the HSVS.

Meteorit

Reaction score
XP67_Moonbat said:
Kno what? I want to go back to the subject of those 60's & 70's projects. Particularly about the HSVS.
Seconded :)

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

here is a MD advanced hypersonic fighter concept;

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a221970.pdf

Attachments

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
Nice find! It's high time we had something new in this thread. :D

hesham

Reaction score
XP67_Moonbat said:
Nice find! It's high time we had something new in this thread. :D

Thank you my dear XP67_Moonbat

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
I think I saw that on Scott's page as a General Dynamics project.

hesham

Reaction score
From ; Аэрокосмическое обозрение №06 (67) 2013

here is some MD hyprsonic concepts in colors.

Attachments

pedrospe

Reaction score
Very nice images hesham,thanks for sharing.

best regards

Pedro

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
I can only what aerospace goodies are left undiscovered that Prof C didn't talk about. That man and his knowledge were a national treasure.

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Good Day All -

There's no one specific X-24C thread that I can find and of the threads that mention the X-24C, this seems the best fit for these McDonnell Douglas images. The three photos are from a collection donated to the Museum by a retired McAir Engineer. Not sure of this was tunnel tested as part of McAir's own hypersonic projects or done as a contract. Note the dates on the 2nd and 3rd images.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

archipeppe

Reaction score
Dear Hesham,

the illustration #3 is a mine one.
You can spot that the publisher has already respected the copyright (even with my name tranlsated in Russian!.

Ciao
Giuseppe

hesham said:
From ; Аэрокосмическое обозрение №06 (67) 2013

here is some MD hyprsonic concepts in colors.

sferrin

Reaction score
One can't help but wonder, with all this hypersonic work by McD, did they ever fly anything, will we ever hear about it, and is Boeing doing anything with it?