McDD/Northrop/BAe ASTOVL/MRF/JAST/JSF studies

This design is used in NASA/McDonnell-Douglas studies of offtake jetpipes, e.g. NASA Technical Memorandum 106387. Probably not a real "project" but interesting nonetheless.

Attachments

• McDD-SSTOVL.jpg
    McDD-SSTOVL.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 752
Yep. Here are some pics. This design seems to date back to joint UK-US ASTOVL studies in the late 1980s. RCS model is from Newark, photographed by Chris Gibson.

Attachments

• McDonnell-Douglas's-entry-for-the-UK-US-ASTOVL-studies-of-1986-1988.jpg
    McDonnell-Douglas's-entry-for-the-UK-US-ASTOVL-studies-of-1986-1988.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,699
  • Newark_Mystery.jpg
    Newark_Mystery.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,607
  • mixedflowvectoredthrust.jpg
    mixedflowvectoredthrust.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,373
  • MFVT.jpg
    MFVT.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,246
  • MFVT-2.jpg
    MFVT-2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,329
Last edited:
Hi,

a brief history of JSF program.

Attachments

• JSF.JPG
    JSF.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 866
Hi,

the JAST from Flightglobal.
http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1995/1995%20-%200834.html

Attachments

• JAST ASTOVL.JPG
    JAST ASTOVL.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,046
MACAIR/AFWL 1992 Fighter Airframe/Propulsion Integration Study (FAPIS)

AlAA 92-3333
Fighter Airframe/Propulsion Integration - A McDonnell Aircraft Perspective
James Mace and Gregory Nyberg
McDonnell Aircraft Company
St. Louis, MO

"The Air Force Wright Laboratories funded
studies with McDonnell Aircraft Company
(MCAIR) and Pratt 8 Whitney Aircraft (P&W) to
identify payoffs and penalties associated with using
emerging integrated airframelpropulsion
technologies in multi-mission fighter aircraft.
P8W provided propulsion technologies to MCAIR
where they were synthesized with advanced
aerodynamic and control technologies and
integrated into advanced fighter aircraft"

Attachments

• macair-fapips-1992-3advpropcontrolconcept.jpg
    macair-fapips-1992-3advpropcontrolconcept.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 527
  • macair-fapips-1992-3advaerocontrolsconcept.jpg
    macair-fapips-1992-3advaerocontrolsconcept.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 416
  • macair-fapips-1992-3baselinefighter.jpg
    macair-fapips-1992-3baselinefighter.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 449
  • macair-fapips-1992-3concepts.jpg
    macair-fapips-1992-3concepts.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 432
  • macair-fapips-1992-2mission.jpg
    macair-fapips-1992-2mission.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 408
  • macair-fapips-1992-1.jpg
    macair-fapips-1992-1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 435
MACAIR/AFWL 1993 Aero Configuration/Weapons Fighter Technology" (ACWFT) program

AlAA 93-0049
A Sensitivity Study for Pneumatic Vortex Control on a Chined Forebody
by
R. E. Boalbey, W. L. Ely, and B. A. Robinson
McDonnell Douglas Aerospace

"The goal of this
program was to develop multi-mission fighter aircraft
configurations with advanced technologies and
performance characteristics capable of addressing postyear-
2000 needs and threats. Special emphasis was
placed on the design and performance of advanced
aerodynamic control effectors for tailless or reducedtail
concepts. Through a combination of wind-tunnel
testing, performance analyses, and trade studies, a
concept was selected for design refinement, resulting in
the ACWFT 1204 configuration"

Attachments

• mcdd-Single.jpg
    mcdd-Single.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 568
  • ACWFT 1204a.jpg
    ACWFT 1204a.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 554
  • ACWFT 1204.jpg
    ACWFT 1204.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 500
  • ACWT preferred 1993-planform.jpg
    ACWT preferred 1993-planform.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 496
  • ACWT preferred 1993.jpg
    ACWT preferred 1993.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 562
AW&ST refrence to this drawing as MACAIR's MRF-1006 configuration. Looksvery similar to the drawing you have.

Attachments

• US- MRF-1006 McDonnell Douglas_1.jpg
    US- MRF-1006 McDonnell Douglas_1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 609
Courtesy Ian Maddock (JSF JPO) and Denny Kline (Boeing Media Services)

Attachments

• MDC_BAe_NGC_JAST_01s.jpg
    MDC_BAe_NGC_JAST_01s.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 634
  • MDC_BAe_NGC_JAST_02s.jpg
    MDC_BAe_NGC_JAST_02s.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 578
  • MDC_BAe_NGC_JAST_03s.jpg
    MDC_BAe_NGC_JAST_03s.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 509
  • MDC_BAe_NGC_JAST_05s.jpg
    MDC_BAe_NGC_JAST_05s.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 517
Courtesy Richard Pugliese

Attachments

• MDC_JAST_leaf-01.jpg
    MDC_JAST_leaf-01.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 604
Some of the pros and cons of McDD JSF concept, taken from Accessmylibrary.com (you need an account to view it, so I'm just gonna copy/paste it here for all to see):

Pros: The McDonnell Douglas design is considered a moderate risk solution (vs. Boeing concept, which is a high risk, and low risk Lockheed concept) with good stealth and low-speed handling characteristics thanks to a near "tail-less" design. Also, open avionics architecture--whereby all systems are designed to a common standard--cuts avionics and systems integration time and costs. Novel bomb-bay allows all versions of the plane to carry either 2,000-pound or 1,000-pound bombs with minor modification. Competing planes can either carry one or the other. Promising YF-23 technologies have been refined over the past several years.

Cons: ASTOVL version has two engines, one in the tail for forward power, another down-ward pointing one for vertical thrust, an arrangement that is said to concern the Marines who fear increased fuel consumption, complexity and maintenance.

Impact: A win would be a major boost for McDonnell Douglas, giving it a valuable and highly profitable franchise for the future as other programs wind down. A loss would have severe long-range repercussions, more so than for Lockheed Martin and Boeing because McDonnell is a prime aircraft contractor with a limited number of major programs, analysts say. But a loss would not put the company into immediate jeopardy because it would continue building F/A-18E/Fs for the Navy and Marines, as well as C-17 transports and T-45 trainers, along with a massive Air Force T-38 upgrade.

Hi,

Euler Technology Assessment for Preliminary Aircraft Design-Unstructured/Structured Grid NASTD Application for Aerodynamic Analysis of an Advanced Fighter/Tailless Configuration

Boeing Aero Configuration/Weapons Fighter Technology (ACWFT) 1204

(edit: merged)

Attachments

• fighter.JPG
    fighter.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 761
Last edited by a moderator:
Two more cgi pics, apologies for scan quality but my scanner is still in a container, making do with a cheapie Lexmark all-in-one :(

Source:
Roy Braybrook, Harrier: The Vertical Reality

Attachments

• JSF1.jpg
    JSF1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,238
  • JSF2.jpg
    JSF2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,167
Hi,

the McDonnell Douglas Model 287-1006.

Structural design optimization with survivability dependent constraints application: Primary wing box of a multi-role fighter

Attachments

• 287-1006.JPG
    287-1006.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,675
If the tail-less McDonnell-Douglas/Northrop Grumman/British Aerospace design had been chosen as the winning Joint Strike Fighter design would it have gone into service as the F-36?

F- designation was completely unaffected by factor of winning team
read Andreas Parsch notes at http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/nonstandard-mds.html#_MDS_F35

a question stays what woulf be if MDC would proceed with their X-36 design considering it a success

flateric said:
F- designation was completely unaffected by factor of winning team
read Andreas Parsch notes at http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/nonstandard-mds.html#_MDS_F35

a question stays what woulf be if MDC would proceed with their X-36 design considering it a success

Thank you for the link flateric. ;D It answers a lot of questions concerning fighter number designations in the US inventory. I wonder what the classified YF-24 will be revealed to be? ;)

Colour version from elider's pic on reply#22

Attachments

• McDD MRF.jpg
    McDD MRF.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 1,203
Thank you very much for the color version pic. I like this design better than any of the competitors.

flateric said:
MACAIR/AFWL 1993 Aero Configuration/Weapons Fighter Technology" (ACWFT) program

AlAA 93-0049
A Sensitivity Study for Pneumatic Vortex Control on a Chined Forebody
by
R. E. Boalbey, W. L. Ely, and B. A. Robinson
McDonnell Douglas Aerospace

"The goal of this
program was to develop multi-mission fighter aircraft
configurations with advanced technologies and
performance characteristics capable of addressing postyear-
2000 needs and threats. Special emphasis was
placed on the design and performance of advanced
aerodynamic control effectors for tailless or reducedtail
concepts. Through a combination of wind-tunnel
testing, performance analyses, and trade studies, a
concept was selected for design refinement, resulting in
the ACWFT 1204 configuration"

Not McD, but possibly related:

Attachments

• USD394039.pdf
    127.4 KB · Views: 8
I recently read some old Richard Aboulafia newsletters and found an interesting quote. In describing the risk-averse business strategy that sank McDonnell Douglas, he asks, "Remember the lamentable McDonnell Joint Strike Fighter design, with the words 'Please Eliminate Me From The Competition' stenciled boldly on the wings?" I usually respect his opinions, but I'm wondering what he's evidence he's going on.

http://www.richardaboulafia.com/shownote.asp?id=139

There were some areas where I can see where he's coming from. Lift + Lift Cruise probably wasn't the best solution for the STOVL mission. The intakes were of a conventional design rather than the diverterless LockMart intakes. The structure was fairly complex, unlike Boeing's single-piece wet wing.

But there were plenty of innovative features in the McDD concept. I'd expect it to be more maneuverable based on its decelerons + Pelikan tails for yaw control. The lambda wing probably was stealthier from the aft view than either the LockMart or Boeing competitors. Perhaps this all added up to a plane that was too expensive. But truth be told, there's so much I don't know about the design's weaknesses and strengths.

Impact of agility requirements on configuration synthesis
Author(s): Oneil, Patrick J.; Nyberg, Gregory; Deturk, Robin; Seal, Daniel W.; Grethlein, Christian E.
Abstract: A configuration design study was performed by McDonnell Douglas Aerospace (MDA) for the NASA Langley Research Center to determine the impact of agility-based requirements on the design of multirole aircraft. Design guidelines and methodologies were developed which can guide the aircraft designer in the selection of aerodynamics, controls, avionics, propulsion, and materials technologies for a given level of both agility and observables requirements. A matrix of nine aircraft was generated to investigate the quantitative effects of agility-based requirements and observables requirements on vehicle design and sizing. This matrix of aircraft indicates the relatively large TOGW penalty associated with high levels of agility when applied to a vehicle with significant observables requirements. However, the matrix also suggests that optimal integration of certain advanced technologies, such as in tailless fighter design synthesis, might have significant advantages over designs incorporating more conventional technologies. Finally, the study identifies the types of technologies required to achieve high agility under different observables requirements and allows some assessment of the current risks associated with these technologies and how future research might be focused toward reducing such risks.
NASA Center: NASA (non Center Specific)
Publication Date: Sep 1, 1994

Attachments

• Agility_level.jpg
    Agility_level.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,029
  • Review_A.jpg
    Review_A.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 961
  • Type-C.jpg
    Type-C.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 885
  • Type-B.jpg
    Type-B.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 831
  • Type-A.jpg
    Type-A.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 970
  • Initial_config.jpg
    Initial_config.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,144
  • MDA-E Model 2002 weapons carriage.jpg
    MDA-E Model 2002 weapons carriage.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 920
  • MDA-E Model 2002.jpg
    MDA-E Model 2002.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 705
  • 19950005539_1995105539.pdf
    12.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
final configurations studied
some very familiar shapes appear among these - BoP, X-47A, X-36

Attachments

• 2408.jpg
    2408.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 856
  • 2407.jpg
    2407.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,356
  • 2406.jpg
    2406.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 874
  • 2405.jpg
    2405.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 844
  • 2404.jpg
    2404.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 925
  • 2403.jpg
    2403.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 791
  • 2402.jpg
    2402.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 775
  • 2401.jpg
    2401.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 777

much more cool drawings are in full-text document

Attachments

• 2409.jpg
    2409.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 957
Quite the report Flateric - thanks for the link! Mark

Very nice stuff - C02 looks a lot like some of their F/A-XX pictures.

By the way, please don't link to Aboulafia when I'm drinking coffee....

The 7E7 is touted as the key to Boeing Commercial’s renaissance. And I have no doubt that they’d get it right, as with all Legacy Boeing 7-Series jets.

... unless you want to buy me a new keyboard.

As for comments on the Macs JSF entry: One problem was that the customer had a strong prejudice against LPLC. It wasn't logical - the reason that LPLC was not included in the original DARPA program that was the ancestor of JSF was that it had already been done and therefore was not "DARPA-hard" - but the program office was entranced by the potential of SDLF. Boeing then became the "more different", high-payoff concept because direct lift was the cheapest way to go, if you could make it work. Macs' other problem was that they never really got the "dream team" working well together.

In describing the risk-averse business strategy that sank McDonnell Douglas

In a recent Le Fana article, René Francillon also talk about McDonnell Douglas disastrous management refered to the airliner business.

Thanks a lot Flateric for that document.

CFE said:
But there were plenty of innovative features in the McDD concept. I'd expect it to be more maneuverable based on its decelerons + Pelikan tails for yaw control. The lambda wing probably was stealthier from the aft view than either the LockMart or Boeing competitors. Perhaps this all added up to a plane that was too expensive. But truth be told, there's so much I don't know about the design's weaknesses and strengths.
according to this video, the almost tailless aircraft is so unstable that it is also aided by a multi axis thrust vectoring nozzle. This would be the first of its kind, because no other aircraft has ever used TVC as part of the fly-by-wire system to keep the plane stable. It was too risky that the DoD cut it off. A Lockheed person later recalled that anyone could design a plane on paper, but only lockheed has the experience to put the whole package together, avionics, integration, etc or something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbZ2Q6lStJE

Concerning the STOVL approach, McDonald Douglas chose it because it offer a plane that is lean and sleak, which directly translate into better raw powers (agility, speed, acceleration, etc.) I wouldn't be surprised if the McDD design was the only that could achieve mach 2+ instead of the 1.6-1.8+ based line, consider how sleek it is and its wing sweep angle.

Concerning the wing, I'm not sure about stealthier, I believe that it offered better agility rather than stealth, because it offer more "spikes" radar returns than say.... a diamond wing. To my understanding, it would also be structural heavier and complex wing than the other proposals though, according to this slide on the choice of lambda wing for FATE project.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/docs/fatereport/sld035.htm

All in all, I think what Aboulafia meant is that McDD proposal is too risky for a low cost fighter to gain advantages in area that, though desireable, weren't priorities, such as better raw performance (speed and agility was only required to match legacy aircraft, with avionics more emphasized) and stealthier (low end fighter, adequate stealth was enough). If we look at the other designs, we see that they too take risk, but for advantages that the DoD greatly sought after. The boeing's was the riskiest of all 3, but the risk was to offer a very low cost production aircraft with enormous fuel. The lockheed approach of STOVL was risky, but what it offered was what marines mostly sought.

donnage99 said:
the almost tailless aircraft... This would be the first of its kind, because no other aircraft has ever used TVC as part of the fly-by-wire system to keep the plane stable.

This is probably correct but I remember that the X-31 came pretty close to it by simulating rudder deflections so as to more or less negate the presence of the vertical fin (quasi-tailless as they said), and relying on TVC for directional stability.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19950007829_1995107829.pdf

Of course the question of flight idle descent is raised, not to mention engine-out. One would think that B-2 style split ailerons methods are more useful.

--Luc