Wow!!!! Shinden is popular especially in western people.

:)

Attachments

• http---airandspace.si.edu-webimages-collections-full-2009-12407.jpg
    http---airandspace.si.edu-webimages-collections-full-2009-12407.jpg
    945.4 KB · Views: 467
  • img_pht904.jpg
    img_pht904.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 467
I believe Shinden flight well to see excellent flight of many Shinden RC model. ;)

ArgyrisGiannetakis said:
Blackkite where did you find the mockup photos?These are the only photos i hadn't see!!!Thank you!!
Source : Aviation Journal, AJ Cyclone, Challenge to the sky(New edition).1976.

Argyris: Thought you might be interested in this site. Bob is an avid builder. http://www.b1modelproject.com/
Enjoy, Ray.

ArgyrisGiannetakis said:
Yes this my first shinden back 2005-2007.
Excellent Shinden!! :eek: Please show us flight movie.
How about the flight characteristic of your Shinden compared with normal shape RC plane? Control is easy?

Ray said:
Argyris: Thought you might be interested in this site. Bob is an avid builder. http://www.b1modelproject.com/
Enjoy, Ray.
Dear Ray i know Bob and i drink everyday my tea and watching his video!!Bob Moore he is a great person and great builder!!!He help a lot of us with his technique!!I don't have loose none of his video the last years!!! ;D ;D

blackkite said:
ArgyrisGiannetakis said:
Yes this my first shinden back 2005-2007.
Excellent Shinden!! :eek: Please show us flight movie.
How about the flight characteristic of your Shinden compared with normal shape RC plane? Control is easy?
Dear blackkite i don't know how it fly get ;D ;D ;D because i lost it at maiden.At this site here http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20835.0.html you will see the video with maiden and the reasons, and my new shinden the return :) ;)

Oh sorry. It's your Shinden!!! Forgive me. What a great challenger you are!

Hi! Source : Internet.
Please try Bing or Google translater. ;) 板骨式 : means Welded Plate Structures

〔主翼、前翼、側翼、爆弾架〕主翼はESD合金(超々ジュラルミン)製の前桁、主桁、後桁の三本を配した左右一体構造で、板骨式を採用して小骨(リブ)を一切なくしていた。板骨式とは、厚板をプレスで型押しし、十五〜二〇センチ間隔のビードを出して板格子状に加工し、これに外板を電気スポット溶接する方法で、小骨が受け持つ強度を内側のビード板に負担させるのである。こうすれば桁間と力骨間は一体のパネルになり、製作・整備上の手間を省略できる。力骨は長さ約二メートルの中央力骨を中心に、左右六本ずつ配置した。主翼を担当した小野原技師は、ESD合金製の桁製作のために二〇〇〇トン・プレスを準備した。またジュラルミンの電気スポット溶接はかなり難しく、軽合金用スポット溶接機が「震電」の量産を見越して六〇台ほど用意された。溶接による二重外板構造を主翼と胴体に多用したのは、日本機では他に類をみない。プロペラ機の主翼としては珍しく、主桁で十四度三〇分、前縁で二〇度の強い後退角がつけられた。これは、ジェット機の後退翼のように衝撃波の発生を遅らせるためではなく、空力中心と重心点を離して失速特性をよくするのが狙いだった。もしこれを直線翼にするなら、全体の重量とバランスを考慮して、エンジンとプロペラ間の距離を延ばさねばならない。翼型は、付け根が四五パーセント位置に最大厚さのある層流翼(迎え角0度、厚比十五パーセント)、機軸から約二・二五メートル位置ではRAF三度(迎え角二度三〇分)になり、さらに五メートル位置では揚力系数の高いNACA五桁数字断面(迎え角マイナス十五分)と、次第に変化していく珍しい型で、空戦能力や失速特性から割り出された。

Attachments

• shinden aft.jpg
    shinden aft.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 309
  • Shinden front.jpg
    Shinden front.jpg
    877.8 KB · Views: 273
The wing was made from ESD alloys (super super Duralumin). The wing was consisted of left and right jointed front girder, main girder, aft girder, large rib and outer skin which reinforced bead plate. There were no small rib in the wing. Bead plate was made from thick plate. Thick plate was pressed by 2000ton class press machine, generate 15 to 20 cm interval bead grid on the plate. Then outer skin was spot welded electrically to bead plate. Bead plate received wing skin stress instead of small rib. Then the wing between girder and large rib became welded plate structure without small rib. This structure could abbreviate the time of production and maintenance. In the wing, there was a 2m long central large rib and six large rib in each side. (right side and left side). Duralumin electric spot welding was quite difficult, 60 spot welding machines were prepared for Shinden mass production.Only Shinden was applied this inner bead plate reinforced outer skin structure for wing and fuselage broadly in Japan at the day.​
Wing main girder in unusual as the propeller-driven aircraft wing had sweep back angle of 14 degrees 30 minutes, wing leading edge had 20 strong sweep back angle. This was not for delay the generation of shock waves same as the swept wing Jet aircraft. This was for modify the stall characteristics by stretch the distance between the aerodynamic Center and the center of gravity.Shinden had a laminar flow wing which maximum thickness position was 45% wing chord at the wing root.​
You can see the difference of wing structure between Shinden and Zero fighter in the second and the third pictures.​
Shinden's restration is very hard. Someone please show us the wing surface picture of Shinden.​
ひも出し格子板(himo dashi koushi ita) : means plate with grid bead. himo means bead or string, koushi means grid, ita means plate.

Attachments

• my image for the grid_bead_plate.jpg
    my image for the grid_bead_plate.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Shinden skin structure.jpg
    Shinden skin structure.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 132
  • spot welding.png
    spot welding.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 186
  • Shinden.jpg
    Shinden.jpg
    618.7 KB · Views: 903
  • img_pht904.jpg
    img_pht904.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 1,009
  • example of wing structure with small rib.jpg
    example of wing structure with small rib.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,046
  • Shinden's wing 2.jpg
    Shinden's wing 2.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 1,108
  • example of plate with bead.jpg
    example of plate with bead.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,082
The front wing of Shinden had two girders.
In order to prevent stall, front wing had leading edge slat, the flaps which occupied half of a wing area were two steps of parent-and-child types, and the trailing edge one served as the elevator.
At the beginning, the flaps of the wing and the flap of the front wing were designed to have an independent mechanism respectively.
Later, in consideration of the disagreement of the operation due to the fall of work technology, the operative mechanism of both flaps was made linkage.
Leading edge slat did not work independently, it had linkage to main wing flaps.
Interlocking ratios were two, for f landing and the other.
In the usual flight state, only trailing edge flaps worked as the elevator.

Shinden first flight data.
Source : 異端の空(Heretic aviation, Pacific War Japanese warplane secret memoir) : ISBN4-16-724909-X , Bungei Shunjuu Co,Ltd (page 328)
(1) Center of Gravity : -14% MAC
(2) Main wing flap : 20°
(3) Front wing flap : 26°
(4)The inclination-to-the-right slant by propeller torque was hard(10°). Operated the aileron to the limit of the left, it was not able to correct.

The second test flight situation of Shinden
(1) Although the elevator was operated to the limit of a rise during the rise, the nose of an airplane fell.
(2) The inclination-to-the-right slant by propeller torque was hard(10°). Operated the aileron to the limit of the left, it was not able to correct.
No data for C.G.

Dear Blackite thank you!
Do you remember about my e-mail to zoukei mura?YES they reply me and send me a lot photos with the canard!!I send you some!!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 827
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 219
Wow thank you very much AG. Excellent and rare pictures. I really enjoy it. :D
We can see the variable linkage for front wing double flaps and slat. Impressive!!

Honestry speaking I have no detail image for wing outer skin reinforcement bead grid panel.(ヒモ出し格子板) 

Attachments

• Shuinden wing.jpg
    Shuinden wing.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 209
Hi! Shinden the first(第1回試験飛行), the second(第2回試験飛行) and the third test flight(第3回試験飛行) abstract.
機体状況 : aircraft condition, 成績 : test result, 離陸 : take off, 着陸 : landing, 高度 : altitude(m), 水平飛行 : level flight, 速度 : speed(knot(ノット)), ブースト : engine boost(mmHg), 回転/分 : engine revolution/min, 排温 : engine exhaust gas temperature(°C), 筒温 : engine cylinder temperature, 油温 : oil temperature, 油圧 : oil pressure(atg?), 燃圧 : fuel pressure, メタ圧 : methanol pressure, 対策 : countermeasure, 上昇 : climb 平均翼弦長 : mean aerodynamic chord length (MAC)
The third test flight situation of Shinden.
(1) Change of the nose angle of attack of an airplane by the change in rotation of an engine is nothing.
However, a nose of an airplane falls as engine number of rotations becomes low rotation.
(2) Level flight was possible when the nose of an airplane fell when raising the takeoff flap during level flight by using elevator until raising limit.

Attachments

• Shinden first flight abstruct 2.jpg
    Shinden first flight abstruct 2.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Shinden first flight abstruct 1.jpg
    Shinden first flight abstruct 1.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 187
Shinden's front wing upper surface thickness was very thick (5.0mm) to withstand compression load plate buckling without rib or reinforcement plate. Cause of compression load was wing bending moment due to lift. Because front wing area was small, weight increase using such a thick plate was acceptable.

Attachments

• Shinden's front wing.jpg
    Shinden's front wing.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 227
  • example of buckled plate.jpg
    example of buckled plate.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 299
Hi! Is it bead grid plate? Hmmm......... My imagination for bead grid plate is terribly bad. ;D

Attachments

• Is it bead grid panel.jpg
    Is it bead grid panel.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 255
  • plan view.jpg
    plan view.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 341
Hi Shinden wing surface picture. The difference between the spot welding and the riveting on the upper surface of the main wing is quite obvious.
Source : Zoukei-mura CONCEPT NOTE SWS No.1 J7W1 IMPERIAL JAPANESE NAVY FIGHTER AIRCRAFT Shinden, ISBN978-4-903596-05-1

Attachments

• Shinden wing surface.jpg
    Shinden wing surface.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 283
Hi! Shinden wing structure, etc.
Source : I.J.N.Interceptor Fighters, Nohara Shigeru, Kojinsha, ISBN4-7698-1206-X, 23/9/2004

Attachments

• front wing structure and flap operation system.jpg
    front wing structure and flap operation system.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 231
  • rudder operation system.jpg
    rudder operation system.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 192
  • elevator operation system.jpg
    elevator operation system.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Aileron operation system.jpg
    Aileron operation system.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 253
  • Shinden wing structure.jpg
    Shinden wing structure.jpg
    887.1 KB · Views: 302
Hi!

Attachments

• J7W2 Shinden kai impression.jpg
    J7W2 Shinden kai impression.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 339
  • The artistic impression of Shinden kai.jpg
    The artistic impression of Shinden kai.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 383
Hi!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Kq3y8rqbg

Many thanks AG!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV2Z2g-q3X8

From translation of Japanese report dated August 7, 1944.

Compared against the (presumably later) drawings posted higher up in this thread, I see a different nose profile, different main undercarriage legs, a bulge on the tail that doesn't appear elsewhere and numerous internal detail differences.

Attachments

• Shinden report August 7 1944.jpeg
    Shinden report August 7 1944.jpeg
    587.8 KB · Views: 345
  • Shinden August 7 1944.jpeg
    Shinden August 7 1944.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 386
Hi! Enjoy.

Sorry I have no more original document.

Hi! Surprising shinden full scale model. 

Attachments

• DEP9aJAUAAAOhby.jpg
    DEP9aJAUAAAOhby.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 235
  • CreXwGfUkAER9ww.jpg
    CreXwGfUkAER9ww.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 176
1/32 scale all metal Shinden skeleton model.
shinden skeleton model.JPG

Last edited:
From translation of Japanese report dated August 7, 1944.

Compared against the (presumably later) drawings posted higher up in this thread, I see a different nose profile, different main undercarriage legs, a bulge on the tail that doesn't appear elsewhere and numerous internal detail differences.
It's an early plan.

ha43.png
「ハ四三」各型性能 : HA43 engine each model performance
馬力 : hp, 高度 :altitude, 発動機型式 : engine type
使用機体名 : engine installed aircraft name
「ハ四三」一一型(ル) : Ha43-11 (Ru) type (with single stage two speed mechanical supercharger +single stage turbocharger)
烈風改 : Reppu-kai, 連山(改) : Renzan-kai, (and Manshu Ki-98 fighter)
「ハ四三」二一型 : Ha43-21 type
「ハ四三」四二型 : Ha43-42 type (with single stage two speed mechanical supercharger+Vulkan coupling(continuous variable transmission) drive single stage twin blade mechanical supercharger)
震電 : Shinden (No.1 and No.2 prototype)
「ハ四三」四三型 : Ha43-43 type (with single stage two speed mechanical supercharger+Vulkan coupling(continuous variable transmission) drive single stage single blade mechanical supercharger)
震電 : Shinden (No.3 and No.4 prototype)
「ハ四三」四四型 : Ha43-44 type (with single stage three speed mechanical supercharger)
震電 : Shinden( No.8 prototype)

Last edited:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 109
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 124
Hi!
This picture shows the aerodynamic principle diagram of the canard aircraft.
Because the trim lift of the canard upward, the main wing lift is reduced, and the all-aircraft lift drag ratio goes up, but there is a problem that it is difficult to load the load on the main wing because the center of gravity becomes the front of the main wing. The main fuel tank of Shinden is under the cockpit floor.
In a normal type aircraft, the horizontal/vertical tail area can be reduced enough to extend the fuselage (after trading between weight and surface resistance), but in the canard aircraft, if you extend the forebody, the canard can be reduced (even if it is difficult to attach it), but there is a conflict that vertical tail stabilizer become larger to keep directional inherent stability. The design of canard aircraft is not easy.

Attachments

• CK_DcJtUsAAATff.png
    CK_DcJtUsAAATff.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
A bit of Shinden fun...:)

Attachments

• 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 091.jpg
    091.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 092.jpg
    092.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 093.jpg
    093.jpg
    951.7 KB · Views: 222
  • 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    810.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 095.jpg
    095.jpg
    871.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 097.jpg
    097.jpg
    793.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    842.2 KB · Views: 237
Excellent work as usual my brilliant Justo-san.:)
I really that think Shinden is a very steady design compared with senden.
Design of Senden is very hard to understand for me.

Hi! You can see engine exhaust nozzle shape for oil cooler ejector in this side view and model picture.

This picture's explanation is mistake. The equipment which called oil cooler is ejector for oil cooler. Engine oil can not be cooled by hot exhaust gas.
Or they define oil cooler as oil cooler +ejector?

Attachments

• Shinden side view.jpg
    Shinden side view.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 220
  • zoukei-mura.jpg
    zoukei-mura.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 200
Last edited: