Jemiba said:
My only problem is, that, judging the number, those designs may date from around
1942 ?

Why 1942??? The EF.52 must be prior to EF.61, isn't it? The EF.61 program started in 1935, first flight was in March 1937...

You're right, good point, that seems to discard the often stated chronology of those
designations (see #43), or there was a long break between the 52 and 55.

On the site richard found (good find indeed !) it's designated as "K85", but this may have been
a purely swedish designation.

In my scans indicated the designation was EF ...
It will take some time to find the original source and other details

EF-52 project started in 1933 ...
Jens, the whole article (it is in German) is attached.
Then delete it.

Attachments

• Clip.jpg
    Clip.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 219
  • Clip_2.jpg
    Clip_2.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 226
This drawings shows the swedish K.85, no drawing of the E.F.52 survived the war.
Thanks borovik for the scans.

Karsten

Thanks Borovik,
I've asked Peter Achs in the German Flugzeugforum, he, too, told me, that
the EF 52 seems to be authentic, with regards to this article. Interesting to read,
that the EF-52 actually wasn't a Ju 86 derivative, as it was drawn earlier, so the
history may well have been the other way round, that means, the EF-52/K85 may
have been the basis for the Ju 86.

Due to Stargazers recommendation, I got the "Luftfahrt History" issue featuring an article about the Ju 322/EF 94:
It is said, that the drawing of the EF 94 (post #3) actually was made by three participants of the development of
the EF 94/Ju 322.... , but several years AFTER the war by from their memories ! Although not said explicitely, I take
this as a hint, not only to take the drawing with a pinch of salt, but even this designation.

The book "Junkers Flugzeuge seit 1915" by M. Griehl (Motorbuch Vererlag 2010) ISBN 9783613031791 has brief details and descriptions on the following Junkers EF projects:

EF 100 + wind tunnel model photo
EF 123 (Volksjäger) + photo
EF 126 + wind tunnel model photo
EF 127 (Walli) + wind tunnel model photo
EF 128 + model photo
EF 130 + 3-view layout
EF 131 + photo
EF 132 + 3-view layout
EF 137 + 3-view layout
EF 140 + 3-view layout

It also has details of most of the production Junkers types.

Text in German, but the specification details boxes are easy to understand (standard labels for each entry) and the text just enough to encourage you to type in to Google Translate - other translators are available !

EF 17 : Single-engined, three-seat multirole military aircraft with a BMW VI,
later a Junkers L55 engine, realised as A 32/ K 39.

EF 24 : Single-engined fighter, realised as A 48 / K 47

EF 29 :project number of the high-altitude aircraft Ju 49

EF 30 : Used as project number for the modified G 24 as a single engined freighter.
In "Hugo Junkers - Pionier der Luftfahrt" by Wolfgang Wagner EF 30 is mentioned
as the later Ju 52/1m and as pre-design to the Ju 60, but for the latter relation,
only one hand written note with comparisons of several pre-designs, without
explicit mentioning of the Ju 60.

EF 31 : The later sports aircraft A 50 "Junior"

EF 34 : 3 to 4 seat "air limousine", single-engined light transport, mardon shaftsentioned 3rd of October 1929,
project only

EF 37 : twin (?) engined military aircraft, props driven by cardan shafts, proposed in 1930, project only, no
further information.

EF 48 : Twin engined military multirole military aircraft, successor to the K 37, mentioned in 1933, project only.

EF 49 : Twin engined successor to the Ju 52 mentioned in 1933.

There is a 6 page article on the Junkers EF 128 design in the German language magazine Flugzeug Classic for May 2015 (2015-05).

Wind tunnel models, diagrams, engine and weapons are illustrated. There is also a side-bar piece on aerodynamicist Adolf Busemann and details relating to the EF 128NJ night fighter variant.

I Just found a revised and supplemented version of the list of Junkers EF-numbers, that was published in
the German Jet & Prop magazine 2004 and mentioned here, too.
Author is Günter Frost, an established historian in the field of German aviation and member of the "Arbeits-
gemeinschaft Deutsche Luftfahrthistorik" (Committee German Aviation History). The article is published on their
website http://adl-luftfahrthistorik.de/deutsch/adl_fruehere_artikel.htm in German language, scroll down
to "Junkers-Projektbezeichnungen bis 1935 (Günter Frost) Stand: 01.09.2016".

Thanks for the reminder. I appreciate very much that website.

Dear Friends,
I ask you to clarify me the EF.140 designation.
According to David Myhra's "Secret Aircraft Design of the Third Reich" the Junkers EF 140 was an Amerikabomber flying wing design studied from the Horten Ho XVIII projects, but in the list you posted it's referred as a more "convenventional" high speed recce aircraft.
Does Junkers used the same designation for two differen projects, or the same designation had been recycled?
Thank you.

Dear Friends,
I ask you to clarify me the EF.140 designation.
According to David Myhra's "Secret Aircraft Design of the Third Reich" the Junkers EF 140 was an Amerikabomber flying wing design studied from the Horten Ho XVIII projects, but in the list you posted it's referred as a more "convenventional" high speed recce aircraft.
Does Junkers used the same designation for two differen projects, or the same designation had been recycled?
Thank you.
David Myrha's book, while comprehensive, erroneously labels the photo caption for the photo of the EF 140 as the Ju 287 V3, while mislabeling the picture of the RB-2 jet bomber project as the Type 150. Therefore, Myrha made a mistake in referring to the EF 130 as the EF 140, because the EF 140 was conceived long after the EF 130 project.

Great find Brovik ! Seems to be closely related to the Ju 86.
My only problem is, that, judging the number, those designs may date from around
1942 ? That seems to be a bit late for such a Ju-86 derivative.
More info on the EF 52/K 85 is available at this link:

The EF 52/K 85 design was conceived in 1933, a year before the Ju 86 made its first flight, and Chapter 3 of the book Junkers Ju 287: Germany's Forward Swept Wing makes no mention of EF 55, EF 56, EF 57, EF 59, EF 66, or EF 68 with respect to early design studies for the Ju 287, while on page 285 Manfred Griehl's book Jet Planes of the Third Reich, The Secret Projects: Volume 2 the EF 55, EF 56, and EF 59 are described as having been conceived before WW2. Both volumes of Jet Planes of the Third Reich, The Secret Projects don't mention EF 62 and EF 63 with respect to the EF 128 jet fighter project.

I can't remember the source : 3 EF , challenger of the Dornier P.231 ( Do 335 ) :
The plane in the middle picture is the EF 115 (see Volume 1 of Luftwaffe Advanced Aircraft Projects to 1945), while the aircraft in the right picture (erroneously listed as EF 130 in Volume 1 of Luftwaffe Advanced Aircraft Projects to 1945) was actually designated EF 113 (see pages 185 and 188 of Manfred Griehl's book Jet Planes of the Third Reich, the Secret Projects: Volume 1).

Dear Vahe,

I think you miss something,in Richard's Pictures,the middle one was actually EF.113 and the right one was exactly EF.115.

The same as for the "EFo" series, again all pictures (in low res only) are from Wolfgang Wagners
book "Hugo Junkers. Pionier der Luftfahrt - seine Flugzeuge"

EF 50 maybe racer or record aircraft
EF 53 4-engined long range passenger aircraft
EF 55 used to measure the effects of negative sweep angles, pre-study for Ju 287, 1943/44
EF 56 used to measure the effects of positive sweep angles, pre-study for Ju 287, 1943/44
The wind tunnel model labeled EF 56 in "Hugo Junkers. Pionier der Luftfahrt - seine Flugzeuge" was identified in the book Luftwaffe Secret Projects: Strategic Bombers 1935-1945 as a wind tunnel model of the Junkers EF 132 strategic bomber project. However, the book Junkers Ju 287: Germany's Forward Swept-Wing Bomber and the bookazine Luftwaffe: Secret Designs of the Third Reich clearly identify it as one of several configurations investigated for the EF 116 bomber project. Moreover, the book Junkers Ju 88, Volume 1: From Schnellbomber to Multi-Mission Warplane (from Classic Publishing) notes that EF 56 was apparently the company designation for the unbuilt Junkers Ju 85.

Last edited:
EF 57 used to measure the effects of positive sweep angles and wingtips with dihedral, 1943
EF 58 elliptical wing model, 1943
EF 59 4-engined jet aircraft with negative sweep angle, already similar to Ju 287
EF 60 see EF 127
The wind tunnel model labeled EF 59 in "Hugo Junkers. Pionier der Luftfahrt - seine Flugzeuge" is actually the EF 116 (see photos of the wind tunnel model of the EF 116 design with W-shaped wings in the book Junkers Ju 287: Germany's Forward Swept-Wing Bomber). The website about the Junkers company lists the EF 59 as a Ju 88 design study (which makes sense because the EF 61 designation was allocated in the 1930s and the Ju 88 first flew in 1936).

Last edited: