Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
When is Hubble to be retired? How many mission extensions has it had?

It shouldn't last beyond 2025 and will probably be killed by its last control gyroscopes breaking down.

So far the damn thing has been extremely resilient, to say the least. In orbit since 1990, last maintenance mission in May 2009 before the Shuttle went away. That's 12 years.

-----

I would love to see a Starship catching it ("You only leave twice" style) and returning it to Earth solid ground and the NASM; but that's way too complicated (solar arrays and a ton of other things standing in the way).

Hobbes

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
It'll be retired when something breaks that cannot be fixed.
The last mission extension I could find was in 2016 for 5 years.

FighterJock

Reaction score

It shouldn't last beyond 2025 and will probably be killed by its last control gyroscopes breaking down.

So far the damn thing has been extremely resilient, to say the least. In orbit since 1990, last maintenance mission in May 2009 before the Shuttle went away. That's 12 years.

-----

I would love to see a Starship catching it ("You only leave twice" style) and returning it to Earth solid ground and the NASM; but that's way too complicated (solar arrays and a ton of other things standing in the way).

I can agree with that point about Hubble not lasting beyond 2025 Archibald, though I would think that NASA will send a command to Hubble to burn up in the atmosphere, after all did they not attach a rocket motor on Hubble the last time astronauts went up to upgrade Hubble?

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score

-----

I can agree with that point about Hubble not lasting beyond 2025 Archibald, though I would think that NASA will send a command to Hubble to burn up in the atmosphere, after all did they not attach a rocket motor on Hubble the last time astronauts went up to upgrade Hubble?

It's a control issue afaik. If they lose the last gyroscope it will tumble and end like Envisat. Unable to commit suicide by desorbiting.

FighterJock

Reaction score

-----

It's a control issue afaik. If they lose the last gyroscope it will tumble and end like Envisat. Unable to commit suicide by desorbiting.

What ever happens to Hubble, when the end does come it will be a sad day for Astronomy/Cosmology and Science in general.