• French VTOL 1909-1999

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • French spaceplanes : Transporteur Aérospatial to Hermès

Votes: 25 17.2%
  • French secret projects: fighters, bombers and other warplanes 1935-1942

Votes: 78 53.8%
  • Others

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • French hovercraft projects : Ader to SEDAM, Bertin etc...

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
Just to let you know of the status of the book : I am currently reviewing the PDF proofs . It gives a first idea of the final look.

I have pictured one double page per chapter including the intro (DSC09158) ... I let you discover them ! You will note that ramjet missiles are included, competition (like Hotol) is included, collaborative projects are included (like Hyperplane) and I end with post-Hermes designs by the ex-Hermes teams.
JCC

There's much more accurate drawing of BOR-4 https://www.buran.ru/htm/bors.htm

Looking forward for this 3rd book, I already got myself the 2nd (And I have yet to buy the 1st one) but that one seems really promising.

Really looking forward to getting FSP3!

Not to appear ungrateful or anything, but this thread began with a poll. In that poll, Spaceplanes got just over 16%of the vote while warplane projects 1935-1942 got almost 57%. I fully realise that commercial considerations as seen by the publisher outweigh the results of a poll in which only 123 people responded, but is there any chance at all that we will see an FSP4 or 5 (or 6?) that covers the 1935-42?

Have ordered rather too many books of late so at the moment I am waiting till I can look inside a copy. A trip to Foyles in London should solve that.

Strangely enough, two weeks after the publication, no one (on this forum but also on Amazon and other booksellers sites) has commented this book. Usually criticisms (and sometimes praise) come earlier. Not very encouraging in terms of sales !!!
I wonder if Crécy will ask me for a FSP-4!!!.....

People are probably still waiting for their orders. For certain regions, they do take some time to dispatch and deliver.

Personally need some time for my aircraft book buying budget to recover a bit :)

Amazon UK has the book as not being published until middle of next week and still no picture; don’t know how many of your books sold via Amazon but that may have some bearing.

Strangely enough, two weeks after the publication, no one (on this forum but also on Amazon and other booksellers sites) has commented this book

Monsieur Carbonel,

I'd love to order the book and post my impressions here but Amazon.es still shows the book status labeled as pre-order..

Strangely enough, two weeks after the publication, no one (on this forum but also on Amazon and other booksellers sites) has commented this book. Usually criticisms (and sometimes praise) come earlier. Not very encouraging in terms of sales !!!
I'm partial to any book that shows some of my design work, so thumbs up on this one ;)!!!

Still waiting for my copy to arrive.

I had pre-ordered a copy at a webshop in my country and was at that time informed that it would be delivered in coming week.
Now I hear that it will be available 10 weeks from now.
I am going to cancel my pre-order and look for another supplier.

Maybe you should ask Crecy why they are so slow in supplying copies of this book to webshops.
If necessary threaten them that you will look for another publisher for FSP-4 if they don't get moving.

To be fair, global supply chains are in an unholy mess, and not going to get better any time soon. Quite the opposite in fact.

I had pre-ordered a copy at a webshop in my country and was at that time informed that it would be delivered in coming week.

Maybe you should ask Crecy why they are so slow in supplying copies of this book to webshops.
If necessary threaten them that you will look for another publisher for FSP-4 if they don't get moving.
I too had ordered from a local bookshop because not wanting to go throught the post-Brexit hassle with VAT and customs. Now I got a message saying my order has been cancelled because the retailer has reported the item is out of stock.

I understand that they use a print company in India, at least for some books, so there's a lot of traveling through disrupted trade routes just to get them back into the UK even before you factor in worldwide distribution.

After cancelling my pre-order (as I did not want to wait at least 10 weeks thereby running the risk that by then the book is sold out at all webshops I normally order) I ordered a copy of FSP-3 at another local webshop that actually had one in stock (not anymore now) and it was delivered at my home 5 minutes ago. It looks great.

Just to tell you ... this week I submitted to Crécy a project for French Secret Projects 4 : Aircraft 1935-1945 ! Now we have to wait a few weeks to see if they take. If it get selected, there will be a new thread FSP 4, not to disturb this one thread.

Good surprise,

and if they accept,I will change my book to anther subject,but it's related
to French aircraft in the period after WWI.

Last edited:
Just to tell you ... this week I submitted to Crécy a project for French Secret Projects 4 : Aircraft 1935-1945 ! Now we have to wait a few weeks to see if they take.
I hope it will be accepted :D

And, ahem... even if it risks duplicating what Justo has already done...

I have a proposal for the cover ;)

Attachments

• Payen Pa.100 - Copie.jpg
    Payen Pa.100 - Copie.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 67
Maybe it's because Amazon (at least, amazon.co.uk) doesn't seem do have updated their page about the book yet:
1629745001328.png
It doesn't seem like it's able to purchase it; the usual box on the side where one can purchase doesn't show up and when pressing on the offers and price (shown in photo), it doesn't allow you to purchase it, the only option available is "add to basket". It's not only FSP 3, Hood's new book about British trainers has the same problem, though Amazon says it's not in stock yet. To say this is frustrating is an incredible understatement.

hmm, seems Amazon are having problems getting supplies from the publisher ...

We're still trying to obtain the item(s) which you ordered on July 30 2021 in Order# 206-2825759-7659512.
Carbonel, Jean-Christophe "French Secret Projects 3: Spaceplane Designs 1964-1994"

waaaaa

i got my copy today

"French Secret Projects 3: Spaceplane Designs 1964-1994" is a Impressive book.
Congratulation monsieur Carbonel on this excellent book on European Spaceflight !
it's a delight to read it

A most cherished book, especially since it also covers some decidedly non-French European RLV designs from up to 1998 (rather than only up to 1994) stemming from the ESA FESTIP era, including some efforts by yours truly regarding the FSSC-5 VentureStar lookalike lifting body cryogenic rocket powered VTHL SSTO RLV (which for various reasons I found to be a truly wretched stinker) as well as the FSSC-16 near-bimese winged cryogenic rocket powered VTHL TSTO RLV, an overview of which is attached. I also fondly appreciate the reproduction of the original illustration of the parallel "stovepipe" arrangement of four hydrogen fed airbreathing turbo engines for the powered winged booster return I came up with while doodling on a coffee table on a Sunday morning in another millennium on another continent shown on page 221, which has also been reproduced on page 153 of the book "Deutsche Raketenflugzeuge und Raumtransporter-Projekte" by Dietrich Koelle, Peter Sacher, and Herbert Grallert (all of whom I had the honour and pleasure to know).

Attachments

• FESTIP VTHL TSTO.pdf
    800.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I'm interesting in getting this book, generally speaking, does it have a wealth of exclusive informations and pictures?
The author is a well known reputable, respected and knowledgeable researcher in the aerospace field, and it does indeed contain information and illustrations I've never seen before. As someone who actually worked for a while in the area of European RLV studies (and some of whose FESTIP work is included :D), I highly recommend it.