That book is a physical item - I do have one copy in my library - but the image I posted earlier is from digital version hosted by google books.
I was looking for this book but the one I found has missing pages from 28 to 52 or something like that, from XH-6 and continúes at Bell H-13... Was looking at the physical book but have to save a little. Anyway, one day Will get my copy. While I Will appreciate some measurements from the illustration you have in the book from fuselage length, main rotor blade and tail rotor diameter to check what I have printed...Seems the drawing I think is closer to 1/72. Thank you very much in advance my friend.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240222_200407_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222_200407_Chrome.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 32
Several bits and pieces from my XR-9 files. Nothing rare or unusual, but it adds to the lore...

Attachments

• XR-9B_.jpg
    XR-9B_.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 23
  • XR-9B in Frank Piasecki's boneyard in 2006.jpg
    XR-9B in Frank Piasecki's boneyard in 2006.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 13
  • second_single_page_helicopters_sm.jpg
    second_single_page_helicopters_sm.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Sample_Image_2_fs.jpg
    Sample_Image_2_fs.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Leo Kuhn article.gif
    Leo Kuhn article.gif
    300.3 KB · Views: 10
  • GA-45D (Flying 1946-12).jpg
    GA-45D (Flying 1946-12).jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Firestone item.jpg
    Firestone item.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Firestone in Museum.jpg
    Firestone in Museum.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Firestone archive.jpg
    Firestone archive.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Firestone (G & A Firestone)  Model 45B (R-9) (01).jpg
    Firestone (G & A Firestone) Model 45B (R-9) (01).jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 8
  • artwork.gif
    artwork.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 7
  • amhelimag89.jpg
    amhelimag89.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 8
  • amhelimag88.jpg
    amhelimag88.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 10
  • Arnold Rudy picture.png
    Arnold Rudy picture.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 18
  • FLYING HANDS OFF CONTROLS IN FIRESTONE'S NEW HELICOPTER VERSION OF THE ARMY'S XR-9B.pdf
    383.8 KB · Views: 3
Several bits and pieces from my XR-9 files. Nothing rare or unusual, but it adds to the lore...
Wonderful pics!!!
Thank you very much for sharing your files Stargazer. Have watched the pic someone mentioned a long time ago about the Frank Piasecki's XR-9B remains...if it still exist, maybe could be brought to life the original bird.

Here is the original two photos from 2006, the air frame, and data plate.
At one time there was talk of preserving the surviving parts of the XR-9, but I've not heard anything more since then.

Attachments

• XR_9[1].JPG
    XR_9[1].JPG
    529.6 KB · Views: 14
  • data_plate[1].JPG
    data_plate[1].JPG
    252 KB · Views: 16
Was it at the facility in Essington next to Philadelphia?
Back then it was at Essington.
I have airframe photos of the Platt-LePage XR-1A at PIAC Essington back in the 1950s, as well including one in color showing the XR-1A in civilian HAT markings.

Here is the original two photos from 2006, the air frame, and data plate.
At one time there was talk of preserving the surviving parts of the XR-9, but I've not heard anything more since then.
Thank you very much Friend!!
This photo reveal a lot of detail about the cockpit bird.
Keep on and cheers!!!

Hi Guys:
Here an article from Smithsonian dealing with the history of experimental helo use in New York and Chicago in 1947

Here sez: "Among the aircraft used in the New York experimental flights were the Sikorsky S-51, Firestone XR-9B, and Bell Aircraft B-47 helicopters." That supports the photo of the Model Firestone Model 45D with US MAIL writting in the nose side.

Attachments

• 0662527.jpg
    0662527.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 22
Hi Again and happy Saturday/Sunday Guys:

Have found two more pics for the collection here:

At the location in post #49, there are a number of helicopter airframes at the north end of the lot.

Attachments

• Piasecki 1.png
    Piasecki 1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • Piasecki 2.png
    Piasecki 2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
At the location in post #49, there are a number of helicopter airframes at the north end of the lot.
This is how now it looks on google maps. In the period around 2006 they stood in different place - behind the buildings on the west end of the property - investigate Google Earth desktop history preview functionality.