*there is also some criticality about the fore/aft placement of the HUD "eyebox", that area where the pilot's eyes have to be for best viewing of the HUD imagery (this being a fixed position aft of the combiners) - but discussion of that is above my paygrade.
Huh, I would not have expected eyebox problems with a HUD. Red dots and holographic firearms sights don't have that issue... Unless it's having the words displayed in a readable size?

Huh, I would not have expected eyebox problems with a HUD. Red dots and holographic firearms sights don't have that issue... Unless it's having the words displayed in a readable size?
It was an issue with the earlier HUD and like designs.
Optics have come a massive way since the early 2000s let alone when the HUDs were first used. Apperently the A7 had a tiny box...

Kinda suprise me that that wasnt something that was constantly tweak, but I can see it be sideline for budget reasons.

Thank you very much for your patient answer.
This is a spring-loaded flipper door for the ECS Ram Air Inlet. It is hinged at the bottom and is opened by air loads in flight. On the ground, the Ram Air Door stays closed and a fan sucks air thought the [grilled] ECS Aux Air Inlet to prevent FOD ingestion.

The MiG-29 later adopted the same strategy to prevent engine FOD ingestion during ground operations.
What a unique design. I see there is only one ram air inlet on the F-15 feeding the secondary heat exchanger. Was the F-14 designed this way because the F-14 required much greater cooling capacity than other tactical aircraft?(Can I know the specific cooling capacity requirements of the F-14?)
"the armrest handgrip on the pilot canopy windshield frame."

The HUD on the F-14A/B was designed specifically for the the Tomcat as part of the Vertical Display Indicator Group (VDIG).

The HUD on the F-14D (along with the MFDs, DPs, SMS etc) was hardware that was originally designed and for and used in the F-18A and its cockpit. (And was to be also used on the A-6F for cost saving.) As such, the space under the windshield of the F-14 (front to back) was a little shorter than that of the F-18, so the combiner glass assembly intruded into the cockpit slightly*. The handgrip on the windshield frame was removed so you didn't break the combiner glass(es) when installing or removing the HUD.

The discussion is about the same for the F-14B Upgrade which removed the old HUD from the VDIG chassis and replaced it with the existing Sparrowhawk HUD (creating the VDIG/R unit).

So, in both cases, it was much cheaper to use the off-the-shelf hardware that was already qualified than to modify the HUDs to remove the combiners. (IIRC, the center windshield glass did have to be replaced for HUD compatibility - but I may be misremembering.)

*there is also some criticality about the fore/aft placement of the HUD "eyebox", that area where the pilot's eyes have to be for best viewing of the HUD imagery (this being a fixed position aft of the combiners) - but discussion of that is above my paygrade.

Here is an advert for a predecessor Smiths HUD to that used in the F-18. As you can see, there is more to the unit than just the combiner glass and up-front control that you have to stuff under the windshield!
So, the F-14D cockpit upgrade was only the most cost-effective solution - by using existing components of the F/A-18.

Before an extremely advanced cockpit design like the ST-21 was proposed (compared to the technology at the time), was there a cockpit design similar to the F/A-18 and F-15E in the early stages of the F-14D project? Because I saw photos of simulators with cockpit layouts similar to F-15E on Grumman Newsletter in the 1980s.

The space under windshield of F-14 is shorter than that of F/A-18. Does this mean that the forward field of view of an F14 pilot is smaller than that of an F/A-18?

Please forgive me, I have a few new questions to ask.

1) The F-14's gun gas vents design has been changed many times. What's the reason, to ensure that M61 can fire continuously without limit?

2) The NAVAIR 01-F14A-1, published on June 1, 1972, described the function of opening and closing the inlet bleed door, but in the later official NAVAIR 01-F14AAA-1, the inlet bleed door has become fixed. There are rumors that the movable inlet bleed door in the early development stage of the F-14 caused the death of a technician, so Grumman changed the inlet bled door to a fixed one. May I ask if this is true?

3) The maximum speed of the F-14B/D is lower than that of the F-14A. After searching on Google, I found that some people said this was due to the poor matching between the air intake and the F110-GE-400. Others said it was due to the low authority of the vertical tail at high speeds. When one engine fails, the heading cannot be corrected through the vertical tail, an artificial limitation imposed by the Navy for safety. Which statement is correct?

4) Some people said that the deletion of glove vane was due to the improvement of the flight control system. Would the deletion of glove vane have an effect on the flight performance of the F-14? In addition, has Grumman considered designing the glove into a LEX?

5) Some people said that Grumman didn't design JFS/APU for the F-14 in order to control empty weight. Is this statement correct?

4) Some people said that the deletion of glove vane was due to the improvement of the flight control system. Would the deletion of glove vane have an effect on the flight performance of the F-14? In addition, has Grumman considered designing the glove into a LEX?
Only for the Super Tomcat 21, where the glove was reshaped to match the outline with the glove vane deployed, and then used to store some more fuel.

If only Tomcat could have shared the fastpack concept from the F-15E.

Bombcat with Strike Eagle pylons would have been a natural evolution.
FAST packs on a Tomcat would definitely be interesting! Would be tricky to make the landing gear fit, though.

My quick and dirty would have been to add conformal pylons like the F15 has at the bottom of the intakes, but to both sides of each engine nacelle. 2x Sidewinders, 4x-8x Sparrows, and 6x Phoenix.

FAST packs on a Tomcat would definitely be interesting! Would be tricky to make the landing gear fit, though.

My quick and dirty would have been to add conformal pylons like the F15 has at the bottom of the intakes, but to both sides of each engine nacelle. 2x Sidewinders, 4x-8x Sparrows, and 6x Phoenix.
Put it between the nacelles. Think of a conformal carriage pack a la Boeing's Super Phantom, with a thousand gallons of extra fuel. You'd wind up with a more or less flat surface along the bottom of both nacelles.

Last edited:
Put it between the nacelles. Think of a conformal carriage pack a la Boeing's Super Phantom, with a thousand gallons of extra. You'd wind up with a more or less flat surface along the bottom of both nacelles.

For what it’s worth, Grumman did look at “weaponizing” the external fuel tank stations, 2&7, in the Attack Super Tomcat proposal.

Put it between the nacelles. Think of a conformal carriage pack a la Boeing's Super Phantom, with a thousand gallons of extra. You'd wind up with a more or less flat surface along the bottom of both nacelles.
Couldnt put them between the Nacelles, It eat too much into the clearance for heavy weapon usage of the AIM54s and 1000 pounders. When you want to use them would have been the perfect time for extra fuel.

Better option been either under the Nacelles like the Standard tanks were or over the back like on the F16/18s.

Last edited:

Congratulations! While bringing back all of those expensive missiles. you've exceeded airframe's Max Trap weight limit - even with zero fuel remaining. Additionally, the Mobil Chernobyl (USS Boat) now needs to reliably generate 55 knots of wind over deck to have a hope of getting you off the deck. Unless you are going to design a new class of carrier with new catapult and arresting gear with much higher weight limits. Oh, and your airplane is firmly subsonic because you filled in the cross-sectional area that needs to be not there per area rule (See Convair - YF-102) plus having added a buttload of boattail drag due to the cutback angle on the aft end of your pallet somewhere near the tailhook.

Thank you for playing "Naval Fighter Design Tradeoffs are a Pain". Good Day, Sir. ;) :eek:

Last edited:
My above screed notwithstanding, that was investigated for a possible customer who did not have the above sea-based limitations; the Air Forces' Air Defense Command. Unfortunately the Russians outfoxed Grumman by not fielding a credible over-the-pole- air-breathing threat force. Therefore the ADC F-14, the IMI (Improved Manned Interceptor) and indeed ADC withered away.

Among the other more obvious modifications, note that the catapult launch bar has been removed. (Photo scanned from "The Great Book of Modern Warplanes - all six pounds of it.)

Attachments

• img1822.jpg
    img1822.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Thank you very much for your patient answer.
Glad to help.

What a unique design. I see there is only one ram air inlet on the F-15 feeding the secondary heat exchanger. Was the F-14 designed this way because the F-14 required much greater cooling capacity than other tactical aircraft?(Can I know the specific cooling capacity requirements of the F-14?)
Yes, don't forget that most of the Phoenix missiles built (all AIM-54A and some AIM-54C) required liquid cooling from the F-14 in addition to the F-14's avionics and crew cooling requirements.

So, the F-14D cockpit upgrade was only the most cost-effective solution - by using existing components of the F/A-18.
There was not any standard equipment in production (and in the Navy system) in 1983 more modern than the units used in the F-18. However, the software functionality required for the F-14 was much greater than that of the F-18 (or AV-8B). In short, the hardware was common, the software was new.

Before an extremely advanced cockpit design like the ST-21 was proposed (compared to the technology at the time), was there a cockpit design similar to the F/A-18 and F-15E in the early stages of the F-14D project? Because I saw photos of simulators with cockpit layouts similar to F-15E on Grumman Newsletter in the 1980s.
Yes. And that's pretty much what flew. Realize that the F-14D back seat had to share space with the Hughes-specific radar interfaces which Hughes and the Navy were working on their own without [much] Grumman input [allowed] and Grumman was not going to replace those controls and displays (and sunk cost) in the near term F-14D without a lot of turf pushback from Hughes.

The space under windshield of F-14 is shorter than that of F/A-18. Does this mean that the forward field of view of an F14 pilot is smaller than that of an F/A-18?
No. I believe that the F-14 windshield is slightly more inclined and the pilot sits slightly higher in the F-14.

1) The F-14's gun gas vents design has been changed many times. What's the reason, to ensure that M61 can fire continuously without limit?
No, it was to insure that gun gasses were ventilated and expelled from the gun compartment before they could explode, possibly blowing the doors off their hinges and into the left engine intake. This was a passive extraction system, affected by airspeed, AOA, yaw, density altitude, humidity, propellant characteristics etc. It took a lot of fleet flight hours to experience all the variables and several configurations to settle on something that worked 99% of the time.

2) The NAVAIR 01-F14A-1, published on June 1, 1972, described the function of opening and closing the inlet bleed door, but in the later official NAVAIR 01-F14AAA-1, the inlet bleed door has become fixed. There are rumors that the movable inlet bleed door in the early development stage of the F-14 caused the death of a technician, so Grumman changed the inlet bled door to a fixed one. May I ask if this is true?
I don't know - have not heard of this one. My assumption is that it failed a cost-to-benefit analysis and was deleted early in the production run when the Tomcat program was in critical financial trouble.

3) The maximum speed of the F-14B/D is lower than that of the F-14A. After searching on Google, I found that some people said this was due to the poor matching between the air intake and the F110-GE-400. Others said it was due to the low authority of the vertical tail at high speeds. When one engine fails, the heading cannot be corrected through the vertical tail, an artificial limitation imposed by the Navy for safety. Which statement is correct?
I've not heard of the first reason. I'd believe that asymmetric thrust issues were more likely - afterburner takeoffs were banned for the F110-engined jets for that reason. By about 1998, the F-14 was more-or-less redlined at about 1.8 Mach in normal training/fleet usage. There was no real tactical reason to go faster in peacetime (clean) nor could you necessarily get any faster than that with operational loadout of external stores. Another reason was to take it easier on the airframes - the Tomcat was originally planned for a initial 4000 hour life; by the end it was possible (in stages) to modify the airframe for a 9000 hour life. Some things (like bonded aluminum honeycomb) which were super state of the art in the 60's were found to have severe durability issues after 20 years of service. High Mach, and high Mach/low altitude flight, plus ocean [corrosive] environment over 30+ years was hard on the airframe.

Well, the improvement of the FCS was due to the replacement of the AFCS box with the DFCS (Digital). However, this was at least 10 years after the glove vane was deleted in the first new-build F-14A+ (F-14B). My info was that the glove vanes really didn't buy that much more turn performance in the speed range where the Tomcat really operated. And the chance to take 200-300 pounds (my guess) out of the airframe probably seemed incredibly attractive. Odd story; Pax River was apparently unaware of the deletion (approved by NavAir) until after the F-14A+ rollout; so the first A+ had to go down to Pax for a short two-month flight test program to measure and validate the new flight performance values.

5) Some people said that Grumman didn't design JFS/APU for the F-14 in order to control empty weight. Is this statement correct?
Could be. Or (remember that the F-14 was in severe cost trouble in the early 70s) this "nice-to-have" was eliminated along with the early IRST. I will note that it was perennially highly ranked in the OAG (Operational Advisory Group) Fleet surveys, but never happened. Everybody knew it would never happen once the F-14 was out of production and switched from Production to Operations and Maintenance (O&M) funding while fighting running [political] gunbattles with PMA-265 (F-18 program office) for funding.

Congratulations! While bringing back all of those expensive missiles. you've exceeded airframe's Max Trap weight limit - even with zero fuel remaining. Additionally, the Mobil Chernobyl (USS Boat) now needs to reliably generate 55 knots of wind over deck to have a hope of getting you off the deck. Unless you are going to design a new class of carrier with new catapult and arresting gear with much higher weight limits. Oh, and your airplane is firmly subsonic because you filled in the cross-sectional area that needs to be not there per area rule (See Convair - YF-102) plus having added a buttload of boattail drag due to the cutback angle on the aft end of your pallet somewhere near the tailhook.

Thank you for playing "Naval Fighter Design Tradeoffs are a Pain". Good Day, Sir. ;) :eek:
So don't load all the way up, and pack 4x Phoenix + 6x Sparrows + 2x Sidewinders. That's still within trap limits, if getting close to "make the first trap or you're hitting the tanker"

"Gutsiest move I ever saw" - heard at the memorial service. o_O
While bringing back 6x Phoenix wasn't common practice, it was done on occasion. The Ordies would usually lightly load the gun (only ~100rds or so) to pad some more fuel weight. And like I said, 4x6x2 is about like bringing back 5x Phoenix.

And what was the reason for the station select logic for tunnel stations being in the order 4 - 5 - 3 - 6?

And what was the reason for the station select logic for tunnel stations being in the order 4 - 5 - 3 - 6?
Weight and balance, I assume.

My 6x Sparrows would be 2 on the wings and 4 across the front edge of the engine nacelles. This would require some careful fitting to allow Phoenix to drop free without interference from Sparrow wings.

Yes. And that's pretty much what flew. Realize that the F-14D back seat had to share space with the Hughes-specific radar interfaces which Hughes and the Navy were working on their own without [much] Grumman input [allowed] and Grumman was not going to replace those controls and displays (and sunk cost) in the near term F-14D without a lot of turf pushback from Hughes.
Thank you again for your answers.

I enlose a picture from Grumman Newsletter, published on April 28, 1989. The pilot cockpit is much similar to F-15E's pilot cockpit. I am reget that F-14D didn't have cush glass cockpit.

Attachments

• 1696751620504.png
    1696751620504.png
    598.9 KB · Views: 172
My above screed notwithstanding, that was investigated for a possible customer who did not have the above sea-based limitations; the Air Forces' Air Defense Command. Unfortunately the Russians outfoxed Grumman by not fielding a credible over-the-pole- air-breathing threat force. Therefore the ADC F-14, the IMI (Improved Manned Interceptor) and indeed ADC withered away.

Among the other more obvious modifications, note that the catapult launch bar has been removed. (Photo scanned from "The Great Book of Modern Warplanes - all six pounds of it.)
Such a shame that we didn't see F14s replacing the F106s of ADC.

Man I wish there was more info on that design, like how much fule was in that fast pack? It's bigger then the one designed for the f-4 I think.

I found this image on Reddit, this thread, and one of the comments mentions another image with a twin LAU-7 mount for 2 AIM-9 and 2 AIM-120. Does anyone have this image?
Here are some additional weapon test fits.

Attachments

• F-14 with AM-88 HARM.jpg
    F-14 with AM-88 HARM.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 128
  • F-14 with AGM-84 Harpoon.jpg
    F-14 with AGM-84 Harpoon.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 121
  • F-14 with AGM-62 Walleye.jpg
    F-14 with AGM-62 Walleye.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 110
  • F-14 with AGM-53A Condor.jpg
    F-14 with AGM-53A Condor.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 113
  • F-14 with ACIMD-AIM-152.jpg
    F-14 with ACIMD-AIM-152.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 124
  • F-14 Tomcat with dual AIM-9 Sidewinder launcher.jpg
    F-14 Tomcat with dual AIM-9 Sidewinder launcher.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 145
The original F-14B had an APU fitted on the starboard side. It is the silver panel area right in front of the word "Navy".

Attachments

• Grumman F-14B Super Tomcat.jpg
    Grumman F-14B Super Tomcat.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 158
The original F-14B had an APU fitted on the starboard side. It is the silver panel area right in front of the word "Navy".
I noticed this features on the original F-14B. But according to the paper, "Emergency air start system for the F-14B flight test aircarft", the exhaust duct on each engine nacelle belong to the emergency start system and not the JFS.

Were any official company drawings of the ASF-14 ever released by Grumman? Is it safe to assume that concept was an extension of the studies already done for the Tomcat II and would be somewhat similar in form?

Also I was looking at the model of the ST-21 by the Hanger B Productions guys, can anyone here say how accurate is it? To me something about the redesigned wing root/glove looks "off" compared to Grumman's mock up and drawings but I can't say for sure exactly what.

Last edited:
The only twin Sidewinder mount I have seen is on the F-8 Crusader cheeks.
Sidewinder_1A%2B1C.jpg

PS. Got ninja'd by @Jacky
Twin sidewinders mounted on an A-10.

1702578484996.png

My understanding is this was do to fixing the inlet ramps. i.e.-making them not move. It eased maintenance requirements. My understanding is this was also done on F-15s for the same reason, other than the forward part which moves for AOA on the F-15. Also, as noted, Mach 2 to 2.5 dash speeds weren't needed during peace time. It was also my understanding that this could have been re-enabled if needed. I can't verify that, it's just what I've heard.

I recall reading somewhere that the USMC hoped to acquire the Tomcat as a successor to the Phantom but these plans were scrapped due to the high cost, much like so many other Tomcat related plans. Grumman did want to clear the Tomcat to use a wide array of air-to-ground ordinance but the F-14 really didn't serve in this role until late in its career.

I don't see what use USMC air would have for the AIM-54 but damn does it look cool to launch.

Twin sidewinders mounted on an A-10.

View attachment 714228
Oops, forgot about those! Mea culpa!

I recall reading somewhere that the USMC hoped to acquire the Tomcat as a successor to the Phantom but these plans were scrapped due to the high cost, much like so many other Tomcat related plans. Grumman did want to clear the Tomcat to use a wide array of air-to-ground ordinance but the F-14 really didn't serve in this role until late in its career.

I don't see what use USMC air would have for the AIM-54 but damn does it look cool to launch.
Maybe back in the day when the Marines had a more full-featured Air Wing, instead of the highly specialized ground attack wings that they have now?

Apparently VMFA-531 was in the middle of Tomcat training when the USMC scrapped its plans. By that point they were intending to have four Tomcat squadrons.

The light attack capability wasn't just a Grumman thing - it was also part of the original Navy requirement for the F-14. I have an idea that it stayed on the books long enough that the aircraft was actually built with the ground attack modes, but they were never qualified for use.

Apparently VMFA-531 was in the middle of Tomcat training when the USMC scrapped its plans. By that point they were intending to have four Tomcat squadrons.

The light attack capability wasn't just a Grumman thing - it was also part of the original Navy requirement for the F-14. I have an idea that it stayed on the books long enough that the aircraft was actually built with the ground attack modes, but they were never qualified for use.
One Tomcat squadron per Air Wing, though I'd be shocked if the 4th Wing actually would have gotten Tomcats. 4th Marine Division and 4th Marine Air Wing are the reserve components...