• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Early Maneuverable Reentry Vehicle studies

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
DSMAC or GPS most likely.
Most DSMAC is IIR-based. How well would that work whilst going through the atmosphere at Mach 20? GPS is fine for fixed targets as long as it hasn't been jammed.
Pershing II used a radar DSMAC. Several Chinese ballistic missiles do the same. Indian as well.

Forest Green

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
DSMAC or GPS most likely.
Most DSMAC is IIR-based. How well would that work whilst going through the atmosphere at Mach 20? GPS is fine for fixed targets as long as it hasn't been jammed.
Pershing II used a radar DSMAC. Several Chinese ballistic missiles do the same. Indian as well.
Oh right, I was counting RADAC and DSMAC as two separate things. Radar should work if not jammed.

GeorgeA

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
The original concept of SWERVE used terminal radar guidance for one of its CONOPS, very long range AAM missions. As Spudman notes though, your acquisition sensor needs to be survivable to successfully hand off the target.

Last edited:

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score
Are there any ideas on how they intended to guide these things? I remember it being said back around 1991 that CEP increased with manoeuvrable RVs unless they had terminal guidance. \
Curious where you heard this. AMaRV's accuracy was as good as contemporary ballistic RVs when evading and better if just course correcting.
All done inertially.

Last edited:

Forest Green

Reaction score
Curious where you heard this. AMaRV's accuracy was as good as contemporary ballistic RVs when evading and better if just course correcting.
All done inertially.
I read it in the IN COMBAT series back in 1991. Accuracy was lost because the inertial system is backed up by astro-referencing pre-release, but inside the atmosphere astro-referencing is lost and you're just left with inertial. Actually, no I didn't read it in IN COMBAT... I'm not sure??

Forest Green

Reaction score
PGRV successor of AMaRV.

Also found this on the testing of ABRES (Advanced Ballistic Re-Entry System).