convairxf92

The Original Landspeeder
Reaction score
Does anyone have a photo of the McDonnell F-101 Mockup, model 36W? I'd like to build a 1/144 scale version of the plane and, despite the fact that I've got five different Voodoo books as well as Steve Pace's XF-88 book, I cannot find a drawing or a pic of it. Thanks.

- Jim Kelsey

Hi Jim -

I have not come across anything on the F-101 mock up, yet, in the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum archives but I have a number of boxes left to go thru and sort out. I'll keep an eye out though....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Gents:

Here are the only pics of the F-101 Mock-up that I've been able to find. The photo is dated February, 1952.

- Jim

Attachments

• F-101 Mock-up small.jpg
    F-101 Mock-up small.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,795
  • F-101 Mock-up 3-view small.jpg
    F-101 Mock-up 3-view small.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,657
Seeing the mockup certainly helps to explain how the F-101 grew out of the XF-88. Before the addition of the T-tail, there appeared to be some similarity in the tailplanes and vertical stabilizer.

Mark -

Do you have larger format images of the F-101 mockup?

Here's a McDonnell factory model from that period. The horizontal stabilizer has moved up to its F-101 position, but the swept air intakes are still of F-88 vintage. Note "Voodoo" name has already been selected for the aircraft.

Attachments

• McDonnell F-101A 01.jpg
    McDonnell F-101A 01.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,418
The Museum does in fact have an 11x17 print pretty much from the same angle but with the gear down. We also a number of other 11x17 prints of the XF-88 and XF-88B. I just bought an 11x17 scanner/printer this past Friday so once I have that set up, I'll scan those prints and post the results.

Nice model Circle-5 - any chance you have a swept wing Banshee model in your collection?

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Mark Nankivil said:
Nice model Circle-5 - any chance you have a swept wing Banshee model in your collection?

I'm afraid not... Of all aerospace manufacturers, McDonnell produced the fewest models, with the cheapest materials. This is consistent with Mr. Mac's policy of spending as little as possible on "non-essential" items. As a result, McDonnell models are quite rare, especially in private collections. If I ever find one of these, I'll be sure to post it on SPF.

Thanks Circle-5, I was wishing....

Here's the F-101A mock up but with the gear shown.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xF-101A Mock Up.jpg
    xF-101A Mock Up.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 1,368
circle-5 said:
Here's a McDonnell factory model from that period. The horizontal stabilizer has moved up to its F-101 position, but the swept air intakes are still of F-88 vintage. Note "Voodoo" name has already been selected for the aircraft.

...Ah, the Voodoo always brings back memories. The 59c circa 1964 Aurora small box kit of the F-101 was the first model kit I ever built, and while the results weren't up to real modeler's standards, the overall design of the jet still enthralls me today. It also was a favorite of several DC artists of the period, as by 1968 the Batplane was obviously a bat-winged, bat-tailed version of the Voodoo, complete with VTOL capabilities. The irony was that when Aurora did release a Batplane kit, they used a design from an old 1950's issue of Detective, which could best be described as a swept-wing, bat-curved adaptation of the U-2. This version was shown only in the ads for the Batplane and Batmobile kits, but never seen in the comic book stories themselves - something that Aurora's marketing goons reportedly were pissed over but could do nothing about.

I found this while sorting a large periodical donation that came into the Museum. This is from Aviation Week, March 12, 1956. Notice how wide the forward fuselage is and the canopy shape is suggestive of that on the Douglas F3D Skyknight.

Attachments

• F-101 model - wide front end.jpg
    F-101 model - wide front end.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 708
There is some little differences between upper and lower right drawings.

Attachments

• A.png
    A.png
    494.5 KB · Views: 350
Cutaway McDonnell F-101B, early configuration two place fighter and drawing missile installation, shared by:
http://fighterwriter101.blogspot.com/2015_02_01_archive.html

Attachments

• F-101B initial drawing.jpg
    F-101B initial drawing.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 432
  • F-101B-Installation-2S.jpg
    F-101B-Installation-2S.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 447
Thanks a lot. Engine front shape is impressive. :eek: Fuel tank capacity is very large.

circle-5 said:

...Ah, the Voodoo always brings back memories. The 59c circa 1964 Aurora small box kit of the F-101 was the first model kit I ever built, and while the results weren't up to real modeler's standards, the overall design of the jet still enthralls me today. It also was a favorite of several DC artists of the period, as by 1968 the Batplane was obviously a bat-winged, bat-tailed version of the Voodoo, complete with VTOL capabilities. The irony was that when Aurora did release a Batplane kit, they used a design from an old 1950's issue of Detective, which could best be described as a swept-wing, bat-curved adaptation of the U-2. This version was shown only in the ads for the Batplane and Batmobile kits, but never seen in the comic book stories themselves - something that Aurora's marketing goons reportedly were pissed over but could do nothing about.
See attached re: vtol F101 Batplane. Bruce Wayne must had stock in McDonnell back in the day. Unknown artist, but from a 60s DC Comic.

Attachments

• 2C48578F-F734-4498-B852-CBD139CB4878.jpeg
    2C48578F-F734-4498-B852-CBD139CB4878.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 298
Does anyone know the exact purpose of the fence on the lower fuselage of the F-101? The location is unfamiliar to me.

Attachments

• 7e72a397a4ec1291ffbec4469b5c6f0c--fighter-aircraft-fighter-jets.jpg
    7e72a397a4ec1291ffbec4469b5c6f0c--fighter-aircraft-fighter-jets.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Does anyone know the exact purpose of the fence on the lower fuselage of the F-101?
The strakes are on each side of the F-101B's rotating armament bay containing 4 missiles. My guess is that their purpose is to minimize missile-exhaust gas ingestion during launch.
You may note that there are no strakes on the A, C or RF versions which have no missile bay.