convairxf92

The Original Landspeeder
Reaction score
Does anyone have a photo of the McDonnell F-101 Mockup, model 36W? I'd like to build a 1/144 scale version of the plane and, despite the fact that I've got five different Voodoo books as well as Steve Pace's XF-88 book, I cannot find a drawing or a pic of it. Thanks.

- Jim Kelsey

Mark Nankivil

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Jim -

I have not come across anything on the F-101 mock up, yet, in the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum archives but I have a number of boxes left to go thru and sort out. I'll keep an eye out though....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

convairxf92

The Original Landspeeder
Reaction score
Gents:

Here are the only pics of the F-101 Mock-up that I've been able to find. The photo is dated February, 1952.

- Jim

Attachments

• F-101 Mock-up small.jpg
    F-101 Mock-up small.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,614
  • F-101 Mock-up 3-view small.jpg
    F-101 Mock-up 3-view small.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,508

CFE

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Seeing the mockup certainly helps to explain how the F-101 grew out of the XF-88. Before the addition of the T-tail, there appeared to be some similarity in the tailplanes and vertical stabilizer.

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
Mark -

Do you have larger format images of the F-101 mockup?

circle-5

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a McDonnell factory model from that period. The horizontal stabilizer has moved up to its F-101 position, but the swept air intakes are still of F-88 vintage. Note "Voodoo" name has already been selected for the aircraft.

Attachments

• McDonnell F-101A 01.jpg
    McDonnell F-101A 01.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,276

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
The Museum does in fact have an 11x17 print pretty much from the same angle but with the gear down. We also a number of other 11x17 prints of the XF-88 and XF-88B. I just bought an 11x17 scanner/printer this past Friday so once I have that set up, I'll scan those prints and post the results.

Nice model Circle-5 - any chance you have a swept wing Banshee model in your collection?

Enjoy the Day! Mark

circle-5

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Mark Nankivil said:
Nice model Circle-5 - any chance you have a swept wing Banshee model in your collection?

I'm afraid not... Of all aerospace manufacturers, McDonnell produced the fewest models, with the cheapest materials. This is consistent with Mr. Mac's policy of spending as little as possible on "non-essential" items. As a result, McDonnell models are quite rare, especially in private collections. If I ever find one of these, I'll be sure to post it on SPF.

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Circle-5, I was wishing....

Here's the F-101A mock up but with the gear shown.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xF-101A Mock Up.jpg
    xF-101A Mock Up.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 1,265

OM

Reaction score
Website
www.io.com
circle-5 said:
Here's a McDonnell factory model from that period. The horizontal stabilizer has moved up to its F-101 position, but the swept air intakes are still of F-88 vintage. Note "Voodoo" name has already been selected for the aircraft.

...Ah, the Voodoo always brings back memories. The 59c circa 1964 Aurora small box kit of the F-101 was the first model kit I ever built, and while the results weren't up to real modeler's standards, the overall design of the jet still enthralls me today. It also was a favorite of several DC artists of the period, as by 1968 the Batplane was obviously a bat-winged, bat-tailed version of the Voodoo, complete with VTOL capabilities. The irony was that when Aurora did release a Batplane kit, they used a design from an old 1950's issue of Detective, which could best be described as a swept-wing, bat-curved adaptation of the U-2. This version was shown only in the ads for the Batplane and Batmobile kits, but never seen in the comic book stories themselves - something that Aurora's marketing goons reportedly were pissed over but could do nothing about.

The Artist

Reaction score
I found this while sorting a large periodical donation that came into the Museum. This is from Aviation Week, March 12, 1956. Notice how wide the forward fuselage is and the canopy shape is suggestive of that on the Douglas F3D Skyknight.

Attachments

• F-101 model - wide front end.jpg
    F-101 model - wide front end.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 598

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
There is some little differences between upper and lower right drawings.

Attachments

• A.png
    A.png
    494.5 KB · Views: 218

Motocar

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Cutaway McDonnell F-101B, early configuration two place fighter and drawing missile installation, shared by:
http://fighterwriter101.blogspot.com/2015_02_01_archive.html

Attachments

• F-101B initial drawing.jpg
    F-101B initial drawing.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 291
  • F-101B-Installation-2S.jpg
    F-101B-Installation-2S.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 305

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Engine front shape is impressive. :eek: Fuel tank capacity is very large.

Adventurer104

Retired Texas Peace Officer
Reaction score
circle-5 said:

...Ah, the Voodoo always brings back memories. The 59c circa 1964 Aurora small box kit of the F-101 was the first model kit I ever built, and while the results weren't up to real modeler's standards, the overall design of the jet still enthralls me today. It also was a favorite of several DC artists of the period, as by 1968 the Batplane was obviously a bat-winged, bat-tailed version of the Voodoo, complete with VTOL capabilities. The irony was that when Aurora did release a Batplane kit, they used a design from an old 1950's issue of Detective, which could best be described as a swept-wing, bat-curved adaptation of the U-2. This version was shown only in the ads for the Batplane and Batmobile kits, but never seen in the comic book stories themselves - something that Aurora's marketing goons reportedly were pissed over but could do nothing about.
See attached re: vtol F101 Batplane. Bruce Wayne must had stock in McDonnell back in the day. Unknown artist, but from a 60s DC Comic.

Attachments

• 2C48578F-F734-4498-B852-CBD139CB4878.jpeg
    2C48578F-F734-4498-B852-CBD139CB4878.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 144

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From, The American Fighter The Definitive Guide to American Fighter Aircraft from 1917 to the Present.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 121

Jacky

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Stumbled across this interesting picture of a F-101 Voodoo equipped with what looks like additional optical sensors and armed with a MIM-23 HAWK SAM.
One assumes it's a trial configuration for the HAWK's performance....?
It would be interesting to know the timeframe, as the Iranian Air Force itself would later go on to operationally arm it's F-4 Phantom's and F-14 Tomcat's with a modified HAWK missiles.

Regards
Pioneer
I think it's ATAR program.

"
Visual Tracking Unit Aids Pilot

A passive electro-optical tracking device which would improve a pilot’s visual means of recognizing other aircraft or ground targets is being produced for USAF and evaluated by Navy.

The basic tracking concept appears to have several potential aircraft applications. Uses as a seeker for small airborne missiles or glide bombs or as a tail warning device for tactical aircraft are among them. It was developed by Northrop Nortronics Div. and is based on early design efforts of Southern Research Institute.

The principal application of current interest centers on its possible use as a visual tracking device. or optical identification, friend or foe (lFF) system. This would have particular value for extending the positive visual identification range in the combat situations that occur in Vietnam where pilots must make visual, rather than radar, target identification before attacking potential airborne threats.

Typically, the tracking device consists of a gimbaled television camera with a fixed-magnification telescope mounted in some appropriate location dictated by the desired application. The TV images are routed back to the cockpit for display on monitors for use by the crew. The device effectively provides a fighter pilot or radar operator with a real time, stabilized picture of an optically tracked airborne or ground target.

The optical IFF version of the device is called airborne tracking, acquisition and recognition (ATAR) system. USAF flight tested an ATAR system with reportedly great success on a McDonnell-Douglas F-101 fighter. The sensor or tracking portion of the system was chin-mounted on the aircraft and controlled from the cockpit. The device was able to acquire and lock onto targets at ranges in excess of what the pilot might ordinarily see.

In another application. the line-of-sight of an electro-optical air-to-air missile, like an infrared Sidewinder or the Air Force‘s proposed short-range missile (SRM), could be slaved to the line-of-sight of the ATAR tracking system, which has greater acquisition range than the missiles seeker.

ATAR could provide pointing commands to the missile seeker so it can acquire and track the target at longer ranges, where the target may subtend only 2—3 TV lines in a missile seeker.

The system is intended to track ground targets at long ranges, even after the release of ordnance for which it acquires a target. In this way, it enables the aircraft to assess bomb damage or gather reconnaissance data after releasing its weapons.

Nortronics is understood to have proposed several methods by which the technique could be adapted for use as an electro-optical seeker for an air-to-ground missile, like the Hughes Maverick, or the planned SRM.

In still another variation, considered for the AX and FX aircraft programs, an ATAR seeker supplies line-of-sight attitude rate and acceleration inputs for a digital computer which, in turn, computes lead angles for the aircraft’s flexible guns."——Aviation Week Nov 18 1968 ATAR F-101.jpg