Convair Nexus SSTO

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
From back when rockets were supposed to be big, 1963, comes the Convair "Nexus." A single stage to orbit hydrogen-oxygen booster with one *million* pounds of payload. As a bonus, the hocky-puck-shaped vehicle was to be recoverable and resuable.

The computer rendering is of a 1/288 scale model I'm making for Fantastic Plastic, the kit will probably be released in early 2010.

Attachments

• nex3.jpg
    nex3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 303
  • nexus2.gif
    nexus2.gif
    82.5 KB · Views: 337
and this is only the Small version
were also bigger version with 2 million pounds payload (906 tons)
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=1698

there were NEXUS two stage proposal with nuclear gascore engine !
Payload to LEO 3.2 million pounds (1443 tons)
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=700

and SUPER NEXUS
Payload to lunar orbit 1 million pounds (453 tons)
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=623

i wish they had build those Monster :'(

A hockey puck (at least the ones I'm aware of) is cylindrical, with straight parallel sides. This thing is conical, unless there is an (as yet) unpublished constant diameter version. Not trying to pick nits here, but to clear a potential misunderstanding.

Martin

Orionblamblam said:
OM said:
..."Hockey Puck"? ???
You've never heard of hockey?

...No, it's just that I don't see anything resembling a hockey puck in that rendering. In fact, it looks like the first stage is based on this attachment that comes with many washing machines, one that fits on the agitator at the top, and distributes fabric softener when the washer goes into spin cycle. However, since Hockey is basically a Canadian sport, any of you Canuckleheads see a puck in that render? Or should I just shut the puck up?

OM said:
...No, it's just that I don't see anything resembling a hockey puck in that rendering.

Sigh. The entire Nexus vehicle has a greater diameter than length. It has a circular cross-section. While not straight-walled, it's reasonably close.

In fact, it looks like the first stage is based on this attachment that comes with many washing machines, one that fits on the agitator at the top, and distributes fabric softener when the washer goes into spin cycle.

"this attachment that comes with many washing machines, one that fits on the agitator at the top, and distributes fabric softener when the washer goes into spin cycle" or "hocky puck." Which takes less time to type and is more readily recognizable?

All of you have a wonderful British sense of humor ... subtle, yet amusing.

In any case Scott, your rendering is very beautiful. I look forward to following your progress.

SAustin16 said:
All of you have a wonderful British sense of humor ... subtle, yet amusing.

I thought "British humor" meant lots of use of "Yakkity sax," flamboyant homosexuals, and skantily clad women running around on sped-up film?

In any case Scott, your rendering is very beautiful. I look forward to following your progress.

Yeah, me too. It's a ways away yet even from gettign quotes from "printers," as FP is still workign on the *previous* modesl that I and overs have worked up, but I've seena number of different test runs of various parts from different companies and with different qualities/prices. I'm currently looking at a couple bits produced by a high-end company, and it's freakin' astonishing. Crystal clear, hard plastic, with very little surface work required. Razor-edged raised lettering 2 mm high by 1 mm thick. It's too expensive to print out whole kits with yet, but it's not *too* far off (about 1.75 times what the "standard" might be, which were about 2 times what dirt-cheap was). I suspect that ina very few years the tech will be so good and so common that they'll print off the parts, and they will be *immediately* good to go, with no surface prep required.

Yep, the article published in the first issue of what's now Aerospace America. BTW, the "Errata" in the first page has an error in it (the title)... ::) Well, still striving to look British-humoured...

Skybolt said:
Yep, the article published in the first issue of what's now Aerospace America. BTW, the "Errata" in the first page has an error in it (the title)... ::) Well, still striving to look British-humoured...

Errara humanum est, I guess... ;D

archipeppe said:
Stargazer2006 said:
Errara humanum est, I guess... ;D

Emh.... "Errare humanum est".... it means - more or less - "Errors is for Humans"

"To err is human" is usually the coined translation. The full version says more or less "It's human to make mistakes, it's devilish to keep making them"...

Slightly OT: Aerospace America

Ah, Aerospace America...

Our city technical library used to get it...

Also, a bunch of arcane astrophysics etc titles, including one whose name I forget Icarus which, IIRC, had a 'crude' planetary formation simulator which accidentally predicted 'Hot Jupiters'...

Then the mags rack was purged...

Weep.

Found A PDF at NTRS
NEXUS - CONCEPT OF A LARGE REUSABLE LAUNCH VEHICLE
by Dvincent, F.; Ehricke, K. A.
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19630011856_1963011856.pdf

I love the Hazegrayart Channel. With every new video, one can expect to see something really great...!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>