Chengdu/PAIC FC-1 JF-17 and Grumman Super 7

alberchico

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Its a commission composed by pilots and technical personnel, they were meant to evaluate the aircraft last year, but Covid delayed that matter. So...yeah, the evaluation is being done now.
Whoops, I meant to say that an Argentine delegation went to China, must have typed it too fast.:p

Unless the Chinese offer a very attractive financing plan in order to secure the contract, I don't see how Argentina can afford it. I think this aircraft is the best compromise for Argentina, its performance is a bit inferior compared to the jets they had, but still far better than a simple armed trainer.

Last edited:

siegecrossbow

Reaction score
Let's hope for him that he didn't just to be atrociously quarantined...

Worst case scenario could be 28 days but since they are on official business maybe a “bubble environment” could be made aka Winter Olympics.

That said I think the primary hurdle to the deal might be the engine. I wonder whether CAASTA applies to sub components like engines. If I recall correctly Argentina was very against the Russian invasion of Ukraine and voted accordingly in UN.

P.S. Found the original source. They are in quarantine and nothing is settled yet. Still need congressional approval for funding.

Last edited:

Roland55

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Its a commission composed by pilots and technical personnel, they were meant to evaluate the aircraft last year, but Covid delayed that matter. So...yeah, the evaluation is being done now.
Whoops, I meant to say that an Argentine delegation went to China, must have typed it too fast.:p

Unless the Chinese offer a very attractive financing plan in order to secure the contract, I don't see how Argentina can afford it. I think this aircraft is the best compromise for Argentina, its performance is a bit inferior compared to the jets they had, but still far better than a simple armed trainer.
It certainly can be afforded (the x4 french OPV deal being paid on time with little issues) but i must say they are analyzing every option they have "on the table" whether it is the JF-17, the Tejas, Kfir (yes, it came up again) F-16..etc..etc.

Its performance is...well nothing spectacular but also not bad, probably the standard for an aircraft of its class, supersonic, AESA radar, BVR capable, smart munitions..etc. We'll see what gets out of this (maybe they buy it, maybe not)

TandemHEAT

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Would they even be be able to buy the Tejas due to it having several British made components? I know HAL said that they would replace some British made parts with suitable alternatives, but I'm not so sure that they are capable of doing that.

helmutkohl

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Would they even be be able to buy the Tejas due to it having several British made components? I know HAL said that they would replace some British made parts with suitable alternatives, but I'm not so sure that they are capable of doing that.
its a very valid point.
the KAI's sale of FA-50s to Argentina failed because I think the ejection seat is British.
I expect the Tejas to have more British components no?

alberchico

Reaction score
its a very valid point.
the KAI's sale of FA-50s to Argentina failed because I think the ejection seat is British.

I think the question of providing adequate technical support would also be an issue for the Tejas. At least China has sold jets like the K-8 to neighboring countries like Bolivia and Venezuela, along with the larger Y-8 transport, so they already have a presence in Latin America.

FighterJock

Reaction score
its a very valid point.

That was the same problem that Argentina faced with the Gripen when they tried to buy it as well, a lot of the components were British too. The only fighter left that I can think of that would be suitable for Argentina would be the Chengdu J-10.

Roland55

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
As far as i know, its possible, contrary to the case of the FA-50...the Tejas lacks any major components made by Uk-owned companies (HAL mentioned 50 individual components, highlighting the seat, refueling probe, radar radome, and some valves, its all pretty minor and replaceable), with the FA-50 the FBW computer, and other major parts were compromised.

Probably not HAL, but IAI or any other company associated with HAL could do said work.
its a very valid point.

I think the question of providing adequate technical support would also be an issue for the Tejas. At least China has sold jets like the K-8 to neighboring countries like Bolivia and Venezuela, along with the larger Y-8 transport, so they already have a presence in Latin America.
Service its gonna be done at AMACUAR (FAA's center of maintenance) indistinct of the aircraft origin, i do wonder if the indians will manage to get a good service support regarding a possible sale to LATAM though.

As for the K-8s...the Bolivian experience was not that great, in fact..most chinese equipment did poor in LATAM, maybe the JF-17 is a different case...who knows?

helmutkohl

Staff member
Reaction score
its a very valid point.

I think some LatAm countries operate Indian helicopters no?
but IRC, Colombia? or was it Ecuador or Peru? had very bad experiences with them.

TandemHEAT

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
its a very valid point.

I think some LatAm countries operate Indian helicopters no?
but IRC, Colombia? or was it Ecuador or Peru? had very bad experiences with them.
It was Ecuador, and yes they retired them very early.