Burnelli Projects

Jemiba said:
Ok, it's a pity.
Couldn't find it via reverse picture search, too, but the big two bladed props
and the big wheels make me think of a rubber band powered model ...
I agree with that, and with Boxman's suggestion that it was based on the Loadmaster

hesham said:
Hi,

I can't remember from where I got this advertising about Burnelli airplane,also I couldn't ID it.

Probably OA-1?

Skyblazer said:
Here's a Burnelli type I previously didn't know, the X-3 "Guggenheim" prototype (source: Jahrbuch der Luftfahrt 1931-32):

Here is some quality newsreel footage of the Burnelli GX-3 (a.k.a., Burnelli X-3, and Uppercu-Burnelli UB-SS), reg. NX-124H (X-124H) (c/n 10), taxiing and flying at Mitchel Field, Long Island (circa ~1929) as part of a Guggenheim Safety Plane ("Guggenheim Safe Aircraft Competition") demonstration (from 18-sec to the 54-sec mark).
YouTube: CriticalPast: Guggenheim Aircraft Competition at Mitchel Field in New York HD Stock Footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3hrWUibbCI

Dear friends,
I found randomly this Burnelli's project:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/63/ea/c4/fbc222825d7b09/US2380289.pdf

I don't know what it is: it looks like a sort of attack aircarft...
Here I share even a model of the X-BAB-3: hope you'll enjoy (pinterest source: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/fong0457/abandoned-projects-usa/).
Best Regards.

Attachments

• f762dd90bee623d9ed515268c8e13c4a.jpg
    f762dd90bee623d9ed515268c8e13c4a.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 508
hesham said:
From l'Aeronautique 1930,

here is a float designed by Burnelli,but what was this aircraft which fitted with ?.

From Le Document Aeronuatique,here is the Uppercu-Burnelli design.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    285.4 KB · Views: 334
A variant of the Aeromarine Klemm most likely sold under the auspice of Uppercu-Burnelli circa 1929.

Attachments

• Aeromarine Burnelli Seaplane.jpg
    Aeromarine Burnelli Seaplane.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 305
Some pictures on the Sim-outhouse forum. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/17-The-Ongoing-Mystery-Aircraft-Thread-Part-Deux/page461 I'm not a member so cannot download the better ones

Attachments

• a6f6EKI.jpg
    a6f6EKI.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 233
  • EcI1lZ4.jpg
    EcI1lZ4.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 126
Any idea if the Uppercu-Burnelli UB-14 was the same as the Model 101? I found an article that said that the aircraft which was under development in March of 1935 was a "Burnelli Type 101" (Flight, March 14, 1935, pg. 290). The aircraft UB-14 had already flown (1934), therefore I am thinking that the UB-14 was possibly the Model 101. Any thoughts?

Anyone ever come across a single-engined/single-seater Burnelli design with the cockpit below and aft of the overwing engine? Might even be a Cunliffe-Owen design based on Burnelli's configuration.

Chris

Sounds like the Savoia Marchette S.64

Attachments

• savoia-marchetti-s64-bis-flight.jpg
    savoia-marchetti-s64-bis-flight.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 568
Dynoman said:
Any idea if the Uppercu-Burnelli UB-14 was the same as the Model 101? I found an article that said that the aircraft which was under development in March of 1935 was a "Burnelli Type 101" (Flight, March 14, 1935, pg. 290). The aircraft UB-14 had already flown (1934), therefore I am thinking that the UB-14 was possibly the Model 101. Any thoughts?

Need good search my dear Dynoman,but I think we spoke about this before ?.

P
Tophe said:
Dear Lark directed me to this link http://www.jitterbuzz.com/MAN_1939_12.html
with a Burnelli design which is not famous: CB-34.
The related patent is at http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=RaxEAAAAEBAJ&dq=patent:2286341
In the Putnam book “Canadian aircraft since 1909” page 170 (CCF/Burneli CBY-3 Loadmaster entry) I read :
The Canadian Car and Foundry company did not build the UB-14 but in 1938 proposed building the CB-34. It was considerably larger than the UB-14 and was to be powered by three Wright GR-1820-G100 Cyclone engines and was to have a loaded weight of 33,000lb (14,982kg). Have it been built it would have been the only trimotored Burnelli aircraft, but it was not proceeded with almost certainly because of the British orders for Hawker Hurricanes.”

And from the book- Справочник по иностранным самолетам 1940,

here is a Model for CB-34.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    402.5 KB · Views: 391
  • 2.png
    2.png
    331.9 KB · Views: 407
  • 1.png
    1.png
    295.1 KB · Views: 461
Cutaway Cunliffe Owen O.A.2 based in Burnelli design, published in Flight International magazine retouched by Motocar

Attachments

• Cutaway Cunliffe Owen O.A.2 terminado.JPG
    Cutaway Cunliffe Owen O.A.2 terminado.JPG
    337.6 KB · Views: 356
Nice finds on this page. I had seen only one picture of the wind tunnel model before this. Here's a link to the actual tri-motor mock-up of the CB-34. To me, this showed CC&F's intentions. They intended to build this bomber had Burnelli won the contracts to build bombers from the UB-14 design which CC&F expected to happen. You don't spend the time, money and effort like this without expectations for contracts. It would have been an awesome addition to help end the war.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/aircraft-mock-ups.38106/page-39

In case you haven't heard, the CBY-3 restoration is almost complete. I was told they're expecting to have a 75th anniversary themed unveiling in the summer of 2020. I'm gonna be there.

https://www.neam.org/shell.php?page=restoration_burnelli_2018_12

Any idea why the 3-view in 'the picture show' is labelled model 3 ?

Other early Burnelli projects include the 1915 Burnelli-Carisi powered aircraft (built with friend John Carisi); the 1916 Burnelli Continental KB-1;and the 1917 Burnelli Continental Military Biplane.

Other aircraft that Burnelli developed were the Christmas Bullet and the Lawson Airliner (Burnelli worked as Chief engineer or a designer on both projects, but deserve their own separate threads).

Attachments

• Burnelli in BCM cockpit.jpg
    Burnelli in BCM cockpit.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 136
  • BCM side.jpg
    BCM side.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 1917 Burnelli Continental Military Biplane.jpg
    1917 Burnelli Continental Military Biplane.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 1916 Burnelli Continental KB-1.jpg
    1916 Burnelli Continental KB-1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 1915 Burnelli-Carisi.jpg
    1915 Burnelli-Carisi.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 118
lark said:
Any idea why the 3-view in 'the picture show' is labelled model 3 ?

Good question my dear Lark.

Attachments

• Burnelli' mockup 3.png
    Burnelli' mockup 3.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 132
From L'Air Revue 1926,

here is a strange twin engined designation,the RB-4,it was from Remongton-Burnelli,was it
developed from the older model of 1921 or not ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    757.5 KB · Views: 109
  • rem-burnelli.jpg
    rem-burnelli.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Lucamax, by the time this patent was issued Burnelli Aircraft Corporation was now the Central Aircraft Corporation and had submitted a couple of designs (a pursuit interceptor and a twin bomber-attack aircraft) to the US Army Air Corps. Langley engineers tested an 8 ft model of the Burnelli attack aircraft in its wind tunnels and found that it had very good performance. This was the X-BAB-3. The aircraft IIRC was better than the other designs in terms of performance, however the design lost to Lockheed and Grumman (the latter producing the Skyrocket) as the Air Corps did not think that Burnelli was equipped for production. This patent looks like a version of the X-BAB-3, however the design appears to have two bomb bays, which would weigh the pursuit design down in my opinion and may have been an early version of the Burnelli A-1 attack bomber.

Last edited:
Re the Klemm connection: Inglis M Uppercu, who financed Burnelli in the late twenties and early thirties (hence the Uppercu-Burnelli designation) was also the head of Aeromarine, who built Klemm airplanes under licence at the time as Aeromarine-Klemm.

Burnelli was also the chief engineer for the Lawson Airliner, where he developed the fuselage without wire cross bracing, which was popular among large bomber aircraft built in 1919. Instead, Burnelli had craftsmen build laminated wooded bulkheads allowing passengers to stand up in the fuselage for the first time in an American aircraft. Also, he designed the cockpit to be enclosed, which was a relatively new idea for designers of the time. Burnelli is seen on the left standing next to Alfred Lawson, owner of the Lawson Airliner.

Attachments

• Lawson Airliner Team.jpg
    Lawson Airliner Team.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 110
  • lawsonairliner1919.jpg
    lawsonairliner1919.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Burnelli company affiliations:

1914 ABC Exhibition Co., NYC, identified as an aircraft designer, design unknown.
1915 Burnelli Aircraft Co. Established with friend John Carisi and developed the Burinelli-Carisi biplane.
1916 International Aircraft Co. Washington, D.C. based company, Burnelli was the Chief Designer.
1917 Continental Aircraft Co. of Long Island, NY. Burnelli Chief Designer and Superintendent. Developed KB-1 and KB-3. Burnelli, under contract through Continental to Dr. William Whitney, he worked on the disastrous Christmas Bullet. The problems with the Christmas Bullet led Burnelli to leave Continental.
1918 Lawson Airplane Co., Green Bay and Milwaukee, WI. Burnelli was Chief Engineer on the Lawson C-2.
1920 Nebraska Aircraft Co., in Lincoln, NE. For a short period Burnelli was its Chief Engineer. Unknown design. Company later becomes Lincoln-Page Aircraft Co.
1920 Airliner Engineering Corporation, Long Island, NY. Burnelli returns to NY to partner with T.T. Remington to develop RB-1.
1922 Remington-Burnelli Co. formed and produce the RB-2 (first flight 1923).
1924 Gavin-Burnelli Aircraft Corp. Burnelli leaves Remington-Burnelli due to difficulties in marketing the RB-2. Burnelli patents a number of designs at this time.
1927 Burnelli worked as general manager for the Donohue-Burnelli Aircraft Corporation.
1927 Burnelli assists E. Burke Wilford in the development of a gyroplane for the 1927 Guggenheim Safe Airplane Contest. Wilford leaves the venture in 1928 and goes to Germany to secure the patents of German gyroplane designers Walter Rieseler and Walter Kreiser. This aircraft was supposedly built in the Keyport, NJ Aeromarine factory.
1928 Skylines Incorporated. Designer of the Paul W. Chapman CB-16. Developed for United States Lines.
1929 Uppercu-Burnelli Aircraft Corporation. Burnelli, needing a place to build the CB-16 rented space from Uppercu in Keyport, NJ. After the demise of the CB-16 Burnelli formed a partnership with Uppercu to build the UB-20 (first flight 1930), followed by the UB-14. The Burnelli GX-3 (later known as the Uppercu-Burnelli UB-SS) was developed alongside the CB-16. Wilford returns from Europe and works with Burnelli on the lifting bodies. Uppercu had already formed the Aeromarine-Klemm (1928) to build sport aircraft where Burnelli modifies a few AKL designs. 1934 Uppercu has financial problems and can not market or put the UB-14 in to production. Attempts to secure a contract with the US Army fails.
1934 Burnelli Aircraft Corporation. Burnelli is approached by the Air Ministry of England to license the aircraft design and is given $50,000, which offset losses to him and Uppercu for the failed attempt to sell the aircraft to the US Army.
1936 Burnelli licenses the UB-14 design to Scottish Aircraft and Engineering, Prestwick, Scotland.
1940 Cunliffe-Owen Clyde Clipper, Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK. Developed under license with Burnelli supervising development. Resulted in OA-1 aircraft.
1941 Central Aircraft Corporation (formally Burnelli Aircraft Corp) takes over Burnelli facilities at Keyport, NJ and attempts to get an Army Air Corps contract for the XB-AB-3 Burnelli lifting body aircraft.
1946 Canadian Car and Foundary, Montreal, Canada. CBY-3 developed.
1955 Burnelli designed a modified CBY-3 for a planned trip to the North Pole, which was cancelled.

Last edited:
Burnelli A-1
Burnelli CG-1
Burnelli GX-3
Burnelli OA-1
Burnelli RB-1
Burnelli RB-2
Burnelli UB-14
Burnelli CB-16
Burnelli UB-20
Uppercu-Burnelli CB-300
Burnelli CBY-3 Loadmaster
Uppercu-Burnelli UB-SS
Remington-Burnelli Airliner
Remington-Burnelli RB-1
Remington-Burnelli RB-2
Remington-Burnelli Transport
Uppercu-Burnelli UB-14
Uppercu-Burnelli UB-20
Burnelli Wing
Burnelli-Carisi Biplane
Burnelli-Continental KB-1
Burnelli-Continental KB-3

Burnelli aircraft list according to Project Gutenberg

From L'Air Revue 1926,

here is a strange twin engined designation,the RB-4,it was from Remongton-Burnelli,was it
developed from the older model of 1921 or not ?.

The Burnelli plane pictured is the RB-1 at Curtiss Field in 1922 at a public demonstration of many designs of the day. The 4 in the RB4 in the list is for some other reference. There were only 2 Remington Burnelli aircraft produced, the RB-1 in 1921 and the RB-2 in 1924.

The Burnelli plane pictured is the RB-1 at Curtiss Field in 1922 at a public demonstration of many designs of the day. The 4 in the RB4 in the list is for some other reference. There were only 2 Remington Burnelli aircraft produced, the RB-1 in 1921 and the RB-2 in 1924.
Thank you Burnelli Support Group,

and can I ask you if there was anther unknown Projects to Burnelli
generally,and pre-1945 ?,if it's,please can you tell us about them ?,
and thanks.

Burnelli company affiliations:

1936 Burnelli licenses the UB-14 design to Scottish Aircraft and Engineering, Prestwick, Scotland.
1940 Cunliffe-Owen Clyde Clipper, Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK. Developed under license with Burnelli supervising development. Resulted in OA-1 aircraft.
We really do have to try and put this error aside. The Scottish Aircraft and Engineering project, based on the UB-14A, was the Clyde Clipper, so named because the company intended to establish a factory in Glasgow, on the Clyde. When the company collapsed and the Burnelli licence was acquired by Cunliffe Owen, based in Eastleigh - far away from the Clyde, it was partly redesigned and became the OA-1. It had no other name (unless anyone can show otherwise from 1939-1940) documents)

Compare.jpg

Great information Scheiderman! Thank you for the clarification. Do you have any understanding of why the UB-16 was given the Uppercu-Burnelli CB-300 designation?

Great information Scheiderman! Thank you for the clarification. Do you have any understanding of why the UB-16 was given the Uppercu-Burnelli CB-300 designation?
Sorry, no., I have not researched that

Thank you Burnelli Support Group,

and can I ask you if there was anther unknown Projects to Burnelli
generally,and pre-1945 ?,if it's,please can you tell us about them ?,
and thanks.
There was one that the Canadian Car & Foundry expected to build. It was a tri-motor bomber mockup and would have been quite impressive in size, looks and effectiveness if it had been a part of the war effort. This was the 1938 CB-34 attack bomber. You can see the mockup as well as some stylized art on the Model Airplane News cover of 1939 here... https://canadianaerospace.weebly.com/canadas-cby-3.html There is also a picture of the 1938 wind tunnel model. I was told it's in an undisclosed attic somewhere in Canada. At least someone got a picture of it. This page is mostly full of CBY-3 pics from its beginnings to its recently restored state in the New England Air Museum as of December 2020. Beautiful.

The Burnelli designed Lincoln Standard Speedster in 1920.

Attachments

• Lincoln Speedster.jpg
    Lincoln Speedster.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Lincoln Speedster 3view.jpg
    Lincoln Speedster 3view.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom