To adopt a similarly pedantic tone: NO it wasn't. NO it doesn't.
no it did

BECAUSE the origin of the ASSAULT RIFLE was in the Third Reich
Assault Rifle/ Avtomat are rough Anglicized and slavic translations of STURMGEWEHR

To adopt a similarly pedantic tone: NO it wasn't. NO it doesn't.

The term sturmgewehr was Adolf's belated bit of branding (of something he originally opposed). As drejr noted, the etymological roots of автомат lie in αὐτόμᾰτος - just like the English automatic. And the of use of 'automatic' relating to firearms dates back to at least 1877.

A direct Russian translation of sturmgewehr - штурмовая винтовка - would transliterate as some like 'shturmovaya vintovka'. So, avtomat is no more a translation of sturmgewehr than fusil d'assaut is.

Study evolution in nature and the complexities of biology will quickly teach you that absolutist definitions and reality rarely mesh.

" To adopt a similarly pedantic tone: NO it wasn't. NO it doesn't."

actually it is YES IT WAS and YES IT DOES

Are we mature enough enough to move on to more productive points to discuss?
probably not. But thanks for asking.

On the GPMG question, I'd have thought someone would suggest a lick of paint for the BREN, as one alternative.

And keep a few vickers.....

On the GPMG question, I'd have thought someone would suggest a lick of paint for the BREN, as one alternative.

The Bren was converted to 7.62 mm NATO as the L4 (you can tell as the magazine is straight rather than curved) and remained in British service until some time in the 1980s, IIRC.

The Bren was converted to 7.62 mm NATO as the L4 (you can tell as the magazine is straight rather than curved) and remained in British service until some time in the 1980s, IIRC.
Yes, I never got to play with one.....did get an SLR, SA80, sterling, and 9mm browning, plus Lee Enfield 303 - as a 15 year old!!

I believe the gpmg came in firstly to replace the vickers, i.e. in the 'heavy' role - probably going to draw some fire for that description.....then replaced the Bren, but as you say they were re-chambered and kept on.

Yes, I never got to play with one.....did get an SLR, SA80, sterling, and 9mm browning, plus Lee Enfield 303 - as a 15 year old!!

I believe the gpmg came in firstly to replace the vickers, i.e. in the 'heavy' role - probably going to draw some fire for that description.....then replaced the Bren, but as you say they were re-chambered and kept on.

What about the TADEN GPMG derived from the Bren, although it was chambered for the EM2's .280 ammo.

What about the TADEN GPMG derived from the Bren, although it was chambered for the EM2's .280 ammo.

I've only seen one photo of that, and not read anything about what stage it reached, or how it performed.

There is a news reel item accessible through a Wiki article which gives some details:

I have never seen the various SLEM weapons before, what is meant by centre fire?

I have never seen the various SLEM weapons before, what is meant by centre fire?
The SLEM were semi-automatic rifles feeding from a 10-round magazine (chambered for 7.92x57mm Mauser or .30-06 Springfield), designed by Dieudonné Joseph Saive. They were developed further postwar into the FN Model 1949.

Centre Fire means the Primer for the Cartridge is in the center of the Cartridge Case Head. This is the case for pretty much any ammunition that has been widely used in the last 150 years (with a few exceptions).

Last edited:
SLEM was for 'Self-Loading Experimental Model', of course. Does anyone know what the alternative EXP-1 designation stood for? (I'm guessing Enfield Experimental ... but the 'P'?)

SLEM was for 'Self-Loading Experimental Model', of course. Does anyone know what the alternative EXP-1 designation stood for? (I'm guessing Enfield Experimental ... but the 'P'?)

Probably just short for EXPerimental.

I had a Bren in 1979 for the recruit initial training role, fieldcraft and the like. The offset sight took a bit of getting used to. It was also my dad's personal weapon during national service in 1954.

The Sterling was a right bugger and frankly not really safe for role, operating in armored vehicles meant it was easy to catch bits of it and we did not take them with us when on the vehicles. Far too much opportunity for ND's. We had to buy some ammo from Pakistan (I think it was them) for a couple of years and the quality was appalling. Double taps and failure to fire were very common and not much fun during a quali shoot.

Last edited:
We had to buy some ammo from Pakistan (I think it was them) for a couple of years and the quality was appalling. Double taps and failure to fire were very common and not much fun during a quali shoot.
[/QUOTE]

I fired some Indian (or Pakistani) 9mm ammo in the mid 90's bang, big cloud of smoke and sometimes a hole in the target, if the round had the energy to go 15 meters. guy next to me on the range fired, bang, smoke, no hole, that's because the round was now stuck in the barrel, didn't have enough oomph! Fortunately they were all recalled!!

There was a fuss a few years ago with the Army buying .50 cal ammo from Pakistan (IIRC) which didn't work....I think they had loaded it with 12.7 mm DShK bullets, which are fractionally larger in diameter....

There were reports some time ago that Pakistani units undertaking peace keeping duties would ask the unit being relieved to leave weapons and ammunition, it would not surprise me.

Dear Foo Fighter,
That is too common on United Nations Peacekeeping. missions. because they have two vastly different logistics chains. When “Five Eyes” nations (America, Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand) launch UN peacekeepers by missions, they “go heavy” with medics, signalers, helicopters, APCs, intelligence and a “push” logistics chain. That logistics chain “pushes” fuel, food, batteries, spare parts, medical supplies, etc. forward based upon educated guesses about what troops will consume.

OTOH Peacekeepers from poorer nations arrive with little more than rifles and the uniforms on their backs. If they want beans or bullets, they must submit requests to UNHQ and wait for three or more bids, plus shipping time.
Both nations get paid the same number of dollars per foot-soldier, which explains why “Five Eyes” countries always lose money on UN missions, while Third-World generals always turn a profit. Forget about Third World foot soldiers pocketing UN bonuses!

Last edited:
I've actually had the pleasure of speaking at length (well, e-mailing at length, that is) with a retired REME armourer who is intimately familiar with the EM2 design. His view is that the decision to go to the L1A1 was probably better in the long run, as that weapon was much less maintenance instensive than the EM2. He firmly believes that the average National Serviceman would never have been able to cope with the complexity of the rifle. The 7mm NATO round had some advantages, but the real objection from the US was cost. The T44 round that became the 7.62mm NATO round was, in essence, a shortened .30-06. The bullet itself is identical. To convert to the 7mm would have been more costly.
Just figured this might be of interest.

The problem wasn't rechambering guns you goof.

The problem was retrofitting lake City and every other ammunition plant to produce a round with a new base diameter. That's where the big costs would have been. Top it off with the other rounds not actually being anywhere close to production ready or good for that matter.

Spending all that money to tool up for frankly underwhelming cartridges that wouldn't be useful for a bunch of tasks was obviously a nonstarter.

The plain truth is these rounds didn't actually do anything better than 7.62x51(x49 at the time maybe) and weren't going to actually make guns appreciably lighter or better performing.

In the context of the actual situation at hand, 7.62 nato was actually the right answer at the time.

Now OTOH, x51 nato is well past it's prime and could really use replacement asap.

The L1A1 SLR was sorely missed I understand from soldiers who had to move on to the unloved SA80 weapon. It was claimed EM2 was a much better weapon than SA80.
The US equivalent of the SLR was the M14. But this got changed in favour of the M16.
Such were the links between US manufscturers in the early 60s that realistic toy versions of both guns were available for young Americans.
British kids got their own SLR too.
It seems curious and even awful today to link toys with real weapons but it was pre the horrors of Vietnam and Ulster.

Attachments

• bc7ff50125c6f3198c6c626c0afa0f3f.jpg
    bc7ff50125c6f3198c6c626c0afa0f3f.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 31af977685e5bd030f43f2e860162d8b.png
    31af977685e5bd030f43f2e860162d8b.png
    721.2 KB · Views: 42
  • mattel_marauder20180301.jpg
    mattel_marauder20180301.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 40
  • $_1.JPG_5a97addeb7c2f7.39135569.jpg
    $_1.JPG_5a97addeb7c2f7.39135569.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 50
  • tumblr_nslyipL6UK1s57vgxo2_640.jpg
    tumblr_nslyipL6UK1s57vgxo2_640.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Downunder, we also had SLR L1a1 rifles as toys. I had a couple but they kept breaking just in front of the magazine. :(

the Federov is by all definition a BATTLE RIFLE
Fedorov full-size cartridge for rifles - 6.5x57, overall lenght is ~81-82 mm. Original AF builted in 6.5x50 cartridge, with 860 mps in 520 mm barrel. But, for unification, Fedorov 6.5x50 replaced to 6.5x50SR Arisaka in this weapon.
Cartridges in 520 mm barrel (Fedorov avtomat, also Mosin carbine):

7.62x54R - 9.6 g, 820 mps, 3227 Joules (in 7.62x54R builted version of avtomat, empty weight 4.5 kg, 15-rd magazine - IT was a battle rifle), impulse 7.872 newton-second

6.5x50SR Arisaka - 9 g, 660 mps, 1960 Joules ("classical" avtomat), impulse 5.94 newton-second

6.5x50 Fedorov - 860 mps, I haven't data about weight of bullet, but, heaviest Fedorov 6.5x57 bullet - 8.3 g, lightest - no less 6.5 g, energy 3069 or 2405 Joules, impusle 7.138 newton-second or 5.59 newton-second

7.62x39 - 7.9-8 g, 745 mps, 2192-2220 Joules, impusle 5.886-5.96 newton-second

7.92x33 in 420 mm barrel - 8.1 g, 685 mps, 1900 Joules, impulse 5.549 newton-second

Energy in full-size rifles:

7.62x54R - 9.6 g, 875 (dragoon rifle) or 880 (infantry rifle) mps, 3675 or 3717 Joules, impusle 8.4 or 8.448 newton-second

6.5x57 Fedorov - 8.3 g, 950.4 mps, 3748 Joules, impulse 7.888 newton-second

6.5x50SR Arisaka - 9 g, 770 mps, 2668 Joules, impulse 6.93 newton-second

Also, Russian cartridge, builted by Frolov in 1912 and used in experimental full-auto rifle, 7.62x54R parent case - pressure was 1800 atm, by my calculations, with standart 9.6 g bullet, it is 600 mps, 1729 Joules, impulse 5.76 newton-second

In 1890 6 mm automatic (full-auto?) rifle was suggested by Privalov. Cartridge in .42 Berdan parent case, by my calculations, it was a 30-60% less powerful by energy, than .42 Berdan (if use black powder).

Other early intermediate or proto-intermediate cartridge in full-auto guns - French 8x35 (1918), American .345 (1917), Italian 7.35x35 (1921), etc.

Here's an image of a L1A1 / C1A1 SLR FAL fitted with the rare Eickhorn KCB-70 M2 bayonet:
HdRRUts-1.jpg

SOURCE: nzl1a1collector. (2022, April 9). Here's something you won't see in the flesh [Online forum post]. Milsurps. https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=76508

Compared to the standard 8-inch blade L1 bayonet, the KCB-70 M2 had a shorter blade length of 6.9 inches or 175 millimeters.

Here's an image of a L1A1 / C1A1 SLR FAL fitted with the rare Eickhorn KCB-70 M2 bayonet:

Not sure how "C1A1" got in there. 'Cuz this isn't one.

Tip offs are the lack of 'C.A.L. [date]' on rear of receiver or BLxxxx serial stamps.

Pardon me, this thread just popped up. Working through the old comments.

There is one thing I don't understand:why would the UK submit a ( admittedly redesigned) Belgian design along with a groundbreaking design boasted to be the best thing since toasted bread? Does anybody have information wether this was based on political or technical grounds? Was the reliability of the EM2 ever in doubt? The film in the link I posted would prove the opposite, but that was propaganda.
Mostly because US Army Ordnance Branch threw the world's biggest hissy-fit over the idea of using a bullpup rifle EVER.

I've wondered if there would still have been the move from 7.62mm to 5.56mm if we had adopted the 7mm round.

Although if I recall correctly the SA80 was originally designed with a 4.85mm round. Would this round have replaced the 7mm. How did its performance compare to the 5.56mm?
Maybe. It's possible that the 7mm might have led to a shorter/smaller case as powders got even better. After all, today you can get 6.8SPC2 or 6.5 Grendel that have roughly similar performance with shorter/smaller cases.

The 4.85 was intended to punch the light titanium Spetsnaz armor and helmets. When the Belgians rolled out their steel cored SS109 ammunition it pretty much wiped out the 4.85mm's chances. You needed new barrels for the M855 62gr ammo, but barrels are a wear item anyways.

If the US had agreed to the .280 (7mm) then there never would have been a 7.62x51mm and subsequently a 5.56x45mm M193. So most likely there never would have been another 1970s cartridge competition for which the SS109 5.56x45mm and the 4.85mm (really a 5mm) round were developed. We would all be happily using 7mm to this day.
Not sure I agree with that.

The 5.56 and AR15 was adopted by the US because the USAF wanted something to replace their worn-out M2 Carbines for their base security troops. As a side note, it was also very lightweight so easy to carry all day and was wanted by the US Army trainers etc working in Vietnam.

Make me a 6.5-7lb rifle in .280 and it might work out that the AR never gets adopted by the US Army. But the FAL was at least 8.5lbs in .280, so the "easy to carry" argument still has legs.

What would have been interesting is what rounds would have been developed to replace the .303 and .30 (7.62x57mm) for use by snipers who would have wanted a flatter trajectory. This could have resulted in the bigger .300 and .338 being fielded in armies decades before they were.
Not so much "flatter" as "longer ranged"

The .280's flight path would stay within 6'/1.8m of the ground out to about 600m/y. Which is perfectly acceptable for the basic rifle and arguably any light machine guns. We can argue if 600m is good enough for a "General Purpose Machine Gun" like the FN MAG or MG42.

I suspect that the .300winchester magnum would be the early adopted caliber, if not .338winmag. Both are acceptable for snipers, but not for anything belt fed. Both .300 and .338 winmags have a belted case like the .375H&H, which does not play well with belt feeds. At least not push-through belt feeds.

The definition of "Assault rifle" did not originally include any reference to the type of cartridge utilised. It only referred to the matter of selective fire and ammunition source.
The US Army definition includes "intermediate caliber."

Something with more oomph than even the scary hot 9mm and 7.62x25 SMG-only ammo, but not as much oomph as rifle or machine gun ammunition.

And if you want to really get into it, the 6.5 Arisaka throws a 9gram pointed bullet at 770m/s, 2600J. The 7x57mm Mauser is somewhat comparable in energy with the original round-nosed bullet and is over 3200J with a pointed bullet. 8mm Mauser runs about 4000J for a pointed bullet, .303 British runs about 3400J for the pointed bullet, 7.62x54R runs about 3600J, and the big ugly .30-06 M2 Ball runs about 3600J. The 7.62x39 runs about 2200 Joules.

So the Fedorov Avtomat is much closer to an assault rifle firing intermediate ammo than it is to a full power rifle.

I am sure I should know this, but why did the UK do such a botched job on the SA80 when it could have drawn on the seemingly much better EM2?
Because Treasury was entirely too cheap to buy the AR18 license, and instead had a bunch of engineers that had never designed a firearm before in their lives reverse engineer the AR18 bits (not the engineers fault at all, they didn't know what they didn't know), followed by having the weapons made at a factory that was going to be closed as soon as SA80 production finished.

And as a rider, is the Bullpup rifle now dead?
Most definitely not!

The Israelis are still buying even more Tavor shorties, and the Croats are buying an AR18/G36 based bullpup (and selling it in the US as the Springfield Hellion)

While the UK did keep a lot of Bren guns in service after converting to 7.62NATO (and had a plan for a .280 conversion as well), the way people use machine guns has changed since the Vickers was designed. People want the guns more mobile, and care a LOT less about the ability to just dump rounds downrange constantly (250rd bursts and changing barrels every 10,000 rounds/40 belts). Just ask the Germans how mobile even an MG08/15 actually is.

The problem was retrofitting lake City and every other ammunition plant to produce a round with a new base diameter. That's where the big costs would have been.
Not that big a deal, not when there are probably 100 other ammunition plants in the US at the time that were already making cases that size and the tooling wears out over time anyways.

Now, making .280cal bullets might be a bigger bottleneck than cases.

Top it off with the other rounds not actually being anywhere close to production ready or good for that matter.

Spending all that money to tool up for frankly underwhelming cartridges that wouldn't be useful for a bunch of tasks was obviously a nonstarter.

The plain truth is these rounds didn't actually do anything better than 7.62x51(x49 at the time maybe) and weren't going to actually make guns appreciably lighter or better performing.
You're the one being silly.

Full auto 7.62x51 is not controllable from the shoulder in anything lighter than about 18lbs (the M1918 BAR), and even then it's marginal. ~23lbs/10kg is controllable, but I don't like carrying an M60E3 around.

Full auto .280 British is controllable from the shoulder in a 9lb rifle.

In the context of the actual situation at hand, 7.62 nato was actually the right answer at the time.
No, it wasn't. .30-06 was recognized as too powerful. You couldn't easily control even a BAR in full auto. So they looked for something lighter and more controllable. After all, after 2 wars in Europe, it finally sank into people's heads that you didn't need to shoot past about 300m to hit individual troops. You just couldn't really see farther than that!

Then this idiot LtCol by the name of Rene Studler in US Army Ordnance Branch threw a massive hissy fit that no cartridge less powerful than .30-06 M2 Ball was acceptable. Hence the 7.62NATO firing a 150gr projectile at 2800fps, exactly the same stats as M2 Ball, just in a shorter overall package.

There's a reason or two that the US Army kept the M14 in service for less than a decade.
1) It took until 1957 before the government arsenals finally admitted that they didn't have the engineering skills to turn M1 Garands into M14s en masse and built new rifles instead. There goes one of the reasons to stick with .30cal in general.​
2) And then we circle back around to the USAF replacing all their now 20yo and completely clapped out M2 carbines with AR15s in 1965. Now the Army advisors in Vietnam discover how much easier the M16 is to lug around than the M14. (The M15 being a heavy barrel M14 that was discarded for M60s really quickly, because it wasn't controllable in full auto despite weighing more than the M14.)​

Now OTOH, x51 nato is well past it's prime and could really use replacement asap.
That would be the new 6.8x51mm, aka .277 SIG Fury. Should make a great MG and DMR round, but I doubt it will prove effective as the basic infantry round. Too. Much. Recoil.

Something about the power level of 6.5 Grendel is about right for infantry. Can load it with a 140gr/9g projectile at 2500fps/770m/s, or a 90gr/6g projectile at 2900fps/880m/s. 2500-2600Joules muzzle energy. Good out to 600-800m from a lightweight rifle (AR platform, ~9lbs all up with 26rd magazine and optic), the SOCOM guys don't see the need for anything bigger as the basic rifle.

And funny enough, that's right at the power level of the .280 British, just in a much shorter overall package.

At the request of a specialized group within the U.S. DoD for its multipurpose combat rifle program, presuming SOCOM, for a low recoil, high accuracy long range cartridge for use in the AR-15 platform (the AR-15/M4’s magazine limits max cartridge overall length to 2.260"). Hornady in 2020 came out with a 6 x 38mm, the 6mm ARC (Advanced Rifle Cartridge), case based on a modified necked-down 6.5 x 39 Grendel, Hornady say 6mm is the sweet spot as it doesn’t require the high weight of the 6.5 high BC bullets not possible with the Grendel small case except at too low velocities, but the 6 ARM the case gives enough room for necessary powder to drive the lower weight VLD 6mm bullets at faster velocities than possible with Grendel to give necessary 800-1,000 meter range terminal effects. The shoulder of the ARC case pushed back .0030 inch to optimize the use of their long and heavy high BC VLD bullets projectiles of approx. 100 gr with the necessary high twist rate barrels to stabilize these bullets, DoD wanted same effective range as the 7.62 Nato with minimal recoil (Hornady claiming with 6mm ARC has half the recoil of the 7.62) but also a bullet with a large enough splash that soldiers could see their impacts well enough to walk shots into long-range targets with the added plus of 30% + reduction in weight vs the 7.62 Nato ammo and AR-10. Have seen said Geissele have recently won SOCOM contract for the 6mm ARC AR-15.