BAe P.1216: Supersonic ASTOVL fighter

Re: BAe P.1216: Supersonic ASTOVL fighter by Michael Pryce

Shoe-box? Luxury!

Jemiba said:
I've posted a short review in the German Flugzeugforum, so more of the German
aviation nuts should be informed now, too ! ;)
Dankeschon!

SteveO said:
Awesome! 2 year wait again? ;)

Mike, will Adrian Mann's artwork reappear in future PTP? Would have been cool to see a P.1216 loaded with Paveway IV bombs and Brimstone missiles refueling from a multi-role VC-10 from Chris's PTP loaded up with Storm Shadow cruise missiles.

Who knows - all depends on the day job. Yesterday I was two hours from unemployment due to admin breakdown, but every cloud has a silver lining...!

I think Chris's AEW PTP will have Adrian's work in it. For the P.1216 there was enough original artwork not to need it. That may have saved some time too.

Hi
Is the Newark frontcockpit section with a shark intake an alternative frontend design?

amsci99 said:
Any chance we might get to see anything on the P.1213, P.1214 (Infamous X-Wing) or HS.1205 & other Kingston projects?

Yes. The point of the model was to test the two types of intake for radar cross section.

The twin 'hull' intakes were not intended for use if the P.1216 was built, but rather to see if there was an RCS penalty for using a single 'chin' intake.

has any-one a drawing of the stealth P1216-53 version? ???

My copy arrived today, thank you Mike, and didn't go via Hong Kong, so it was very quick - about 2 weeks from UK. Glad I didn't have to rely on amazon to wake up. (Incidently, I have also had very disappointing service from alibris recently.)

Foiling,

Glad to hear is arrived OK

ikke666 said:
has any-one a drawing of the stealth P1216-53 version? ???

I certainly haven't! However, from descriptions it was more of a sketch than a proper study.

My copy arrived this week as well, thank you. The P1216-20 is a beautiful design. I actually like all of the P1216 designs, but that variant is one that BAe needs to send me very detailed drawings of with all of the station and flight control cross sections. :D

My favourite variant is the P.1216-16 (3 view drawing on page 15). I find it's lines much more pleasing than the P.1216-41 on the following page. The 2 seat P.1216-17 looks great too.

Hello

Yes I agree the P1216-16 and -17 are the most attractive variants, the -17 would look particularly good in Fleet Air Arm colours.

A fantastic book all round, I have gone from thinking that the project was slightly "wacky" to now being quite upset that it was never built even as a demonstrator.

Alan

fudge said:

A fantastic book all round, I have gone from thinking that the project was slightly "wacky" to now being quite upset that it was never built even as a demonstrator.

Alan
I second that, the book does a great job explaining why the twin boom solution was chosen. Would have been great to see a demonstrator in EAP colours!

Thanks for your appreciative comments about the book. The first time I saw the P.1216 I also thought it was a 'wacky' idea that did not look like a serious design in the Hawker tradition.

Turns out it was, and I'm glad that comes across in the book.

SteveO said:
I second that, the book does a great job explaining why the twin boom solution was chosen. Would have been great to see a demonstrator in EAP colours!

AMEN :-[

My copy of the book arrived yesterday and it's already quite a head-turner in the office (a university computer science lab). Thank you! It's the first time I bought a book dedicated to a single plane, let alone one that didn't get built, but there's a mystique surrounding those jump jets -- and I have a weakness for twin-boom designs dating back to the first time I saw a de Havilland Vampire in (of all places) a Lefranc comic book.

And how ironic that the upcoming VSTOL plane, F-35, has a name that pays homage to the P-38, the other famous twin-tail plane :D

Thanks for all the nice things said about the book. The positive feedback has encouraged me to draft the next one - Harrier Projects. And it looks good!

Sundog said:
The P1216-20 is a beautiful design. I actually like all of the P1216 designs, but that variant is one that BAe needs to send me very detailed drawings of with all of the station and flight control cross sections. :D
That's the only P.1216-20 drawing as it was a 'quick look'

SteveO said:
My favourite variant is the P.1216-16 (3 view drawing on page 15). I find it's lines much more pleasing than the P.1216-41 on the following page. The 2 seat P.1216-17 looks great too.
The -41 was a development of the -16. But I agree the -17 looks great, especially as it would have allowed for back seat rides!

Hello

I think I have developed a bit of a P1216 fixation and have followed uk75's recommendation and bought a Mahogany P1216 from myasianart on eBay it arrived today and I am very pleased with it. It is a bit more basic than a resin kit would be so I am still hoping for one of these in the future but it does look pretty good to me (I am fighting the temptation to put RAF or FAA decals on it) The plane has quite a complex shape and the model is useful for properly visualizing the aircraft from different angles.

Thanks again to everyone for a great site, I have been into "what-iffery" since Project Cancelled by Derek Wood fell into my mitts in the 1970s and this keeps the enthusiasm alive.

Regards
Alan

Hi

Perhaps my last post should have been posted in the modelling forum, though the purchase was directly linked to the interest stoked up by Mike Pryce's excellent book!

Alan

The steady orders became bit of a flood this week. Just to let anyone who placed a direct order with me by yesterday (17th) lunchtime (UK time) that they have been sent. I'll be doing another mail run on Monday.

Thanks for these, and nice to see re-orders too. Christmas presents? I got Project Cancelled for Christmas in 1986, which is where it all started. ;D

Might also be a post Scale Modelworld boom? I'm sure some of the What-if Modelers guys had a copy on display :)

overscan said:
Might also be a post Scale Modelworld boom? I'm sure some of the What-if Modelers guys had a copy on display :)

The Project Cancelled SIG had a copy on display, mine to be precise. ;D

It generated a fair bit of interest from passing punters, as did the VC-10 "Poffler" book.

cheers

Duncan

Received my copy today and what can I say? Great book, great subject, great price and VERY prompt delivery. Excellent!

The only thing wouldsay is that I would gladly have paid more to have the drawings in App1 reproduced at a larger scale (say, one drawing per side rather than two?). This would help greatly with model making. However, for most people it won't be an issue and I only raise the point in case layouts and sizes vs costs for the SABA book project are being considered.

S
(off to the shed in search of large blocks of foam ;D )

I've sent all direct orders received by today.

For those who want a copy by Christmas, the last posting dates are:

UK - Tues 20 Dec

Western Europe - Mon 12 Dec
United States of America, Canada, Japan and Eastern Europe - Fri 09 Dec
South and Central America, Caribbean, Africa, Middle East, Far East (Except Japan), Asia, New Zealand and Australia - Mon 05 Dec
I can't guarantee to ship the day I get an order so a few days before the postal deadline for placing orders via www.harrier.org.uk/P1216.htm would help.

A quick update. All orders received by lunchtime today have been sent, and all overseas orders received by the postal deadlines above were sent in time.

I'll be doing a final posting before Christmas on Monday next week, 19th. Note that this is a day ahead of the UK Christmas postal deadline.

Orders already received, and UK orders received by then, should get delivered for Christmas - the perfect gift (I know some women enjoy reading about planes, but I assume the recent switch to 50/50 male/female customers is due mainly to gifts for 'blokes'!)

All orders received before Christmas got sent - I think all UK ones should have arrived before the big day. I hope they were enjoyed - I have started writing the next one during the Christmas lull - 'Harrier Projects'!

Happy New Year to all!

Sounds like a must have, any chance of an e version?

John

can you give any hints on the contents of your new book? ::) (AV-16, big wing harrier,P1154,... )

No plans for an e-version at the moment.

The new book will feature the big wing, AV-16 but not P.1154 - it will be projects under the P.1127 or P.1174 (two seat Harrier) numbers.

All orders received by Friday lunchtime have been sent. I was ill this week so some were slower than usual (but 1 week versus forever on Amazon it seems - one chap contacted me who had ordered with them in August and was still waiting???!!).

The publisher is now talking about another print run so thanks to all who have bought it so far!

All orders received in the last few weeks have been sent. After being ill I then did a lot of work travel so I have been a bit slower than usual, but still faster than Amazon! :eek:

Normal service has now resumed - orders turned around in a few days.

harrier said:
The new book will feature the big wing, AV-16 but not P.1154 - it will be projects under the P.1127 or P.1174 (two seat Harrier) numbers.
Sounds awesome, how long are you going to make us wait and when can we have a teaser? ;)

I've started the "in-depth" reading of the book. The contents are truly awesome!, I'm fascinated and captivated with the story described there. I must admit ( :-[) that I was a bit reluctant to buy the book because I expected a technical work. A sort of technical manual similar to Naval Fighters series books with full chapters dedicated to main "undercarriage power system detailed". Instead I've found the historical background fully described and tons of drawings of P.1216 evolution and related design. The post Harrier timeline was almost unknown to me, I've discovered the strong engineering potential still alive in Great Britain in the 80's and 90's that remained on the drawing board. Thank you for turning History visible.

A great companion to "The Admiralty and AEW" which I purchased the same day. Bravo Mr Pryce and Mr Gibson!

Thanks for the nice words pometablava! I tried to give the history and the technical details people might be interested in.

I've just sent the last of the orders received in the last week, so folks should have them soon.

Thankyou Pometablava. Glad you like them. Adrian is also an important member of the PTP team. We hope to shed light on subjects that have been either ignored or, need re-examined in the light of new archive material.

Thanks to all for your continued support.

Chris

I managed to get the last of the orders received this week into the mail this evening, so UK customers should have the book tomorrow.

Thanks for the requests for the Harrier book too - back to it over the Easter break!

All orders received in the last week have been sent, so UK customers should get their copies on Saturday, and overseas ones shortly after Easter.

I've sent the little flurry of orders received in the last few days, so you should have them soon.

Attached is the picture of the mock-up that has been previously published (Braybrook and Sweetman books) that some folk have asked to see. My book has several other mock-up pictures in it (including Margaret Thatcher having a look at it!).

The mock-up picture was taken in the Experimental Works at Kingston in 1982.

Attachments

• MockupMoD.jpg
    MockupMoD.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,043

Nice pic, did the mock-up ever reach the stage where it looked like a complete P.1216 or were there always bits missing?

It got completed, and modified in later years (e.g. with a folding starboard wing), so it was often being worked on as the design changed. It was still in use in 1984/85 at least.

The picture above is the only one showing the whole mock-up, as someone had to climb into the rafters to take it. Other photos just show parts of the mock-up as it was in a restricted (in both senses) space and hard to get a complete view.

I have throughly enjoyed your P.1216 book and I was wondering if it was ok to see the missing illustrations of the models 6, 9 and 11 in appendix 2? Looking forward the the next book.