BAe P.1216: Supersonic ASTOVL fighter

Capitalism in action. ISP wanted silly money so I let it lapse and I guess someone thought it a good name for, er, well...

It *DID* successfully get some clicks from this very thread. Whether those clicks turned into business... dunno. But getting eyeballs on target is step one of any successful business venture.

Now, think of it the other way: convince the world that the Next Big Thing, the Only Fans Of The Future, is at such-and-such website. People click in order to see the latest in e-girl or BTGGF entertainment, and are instead met with an opportunity to acquire a book on unbuilt British VSTOL jet fighters.

Or about this fine pair of....View attachment 684634

8bdb19ab-3e0b-4429-80ca-34756b61e055_text.gif

I recently purchased this original painting, by Pat Owen dated 1980 or 1983, of what looks like a p.1216 variant. It doesn't seem be illustrated in the book although there are canard-configured variants mentioned. I'd think that the the proposal must have had some promenance if the marketing guys had a painting done of it, assuming it's not fan-art. Does anyone know anything about this proposal?
View attachment 614228
would this design be viable if it hade been a serious proposal. could it fly? I have seen parts of this picture floating around on the internet when I have been searching for similar designs. I have been interested in this design for a while and have been thinking of building a model of it at some point. Any information would be appreciated:)

This is a Rolls Royce concept used to illustrate the three nozzle engine rather than a serious aircraft design.

It was published in order to keep the P1216 under cover.

This is a Rolls Royce concept used to illustrate the three nozzle engine rather than a serious aircraft design.

I have a model of this design which BAe and McDD were shown as the authors in some sources. There was also artwork based on a backwards wing design at about the same time. Bill Gunston used them too.

Wow, someone in the Amazon enosystem is very proud of your book. they want $120 for it! https://www.amazon.com/BAe-P-1216-Supersonic-Aircraft-ProjectTech/dp/0956195113/

Got any copies still lurking around? While the P.1214 is my love, the P.1216 is likely more user-friendly...

Aviation Book Centre says they still have it in stock.

Mike, in your booklet you mention the P.1242-3 and -4 studies as ultra-STOL concepts. Do you have any sketches of these?