Attachments

• Las Alas de Peron I - Pg.91-150.pdf
    7.3 MB · Views: 79
  • Las Alas de Peron I - Pg.151-210.pdf
    7.2 MB · Views: 33
The Mini BAT (1989) was a low-cost aerial target designed at the request of Quimar S.A. - which had its facilities within the FMA - by a team made up of Jorge Cleva and Air Engineers. Juan F. Coll and Rubén Maier. It was exhibited at the Le Bourget International Aeronautics and Space Show in 1989.

The design was not limited to the aircraft itself, as the launch ramp (design by Air Engineer Rubén Maier) and the necessary operational accessories were also included.

Unfortunately Quimar S.A. It closed its doors in 1990 due to the economic situation of the country.

Attachments

• Jorge Cleva_Mini Bat 1989_01.jpg
    Jorge Cleva_Mini Bat 1989_01.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Jorge Cleva_Mini Bat 1989_02.jpg
    Jorge Cleva_Mini Bat 1989_02.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Jorge Cleva_Mini Bat 1989_00.jpg
    Jorge Cleva_Mini Bat 1989_00.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 54
It is an airplane that was built in series, but I wanted to share with you this book that was published this month in Argentina

Attachments

• IMG-20240320-WA0053.jpg
    IMG-20240320-WA0053.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-20240320-WA0054.jpg
    IMG-20240320-WA0054.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG-20240320-WA0055.jpg
    IMG-20240320-WA0055.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG-20240320-WA0056.jpg
    IMG-20240320-WA0056.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-20240320-WA0057.jpg
    IMG-20240320-WA0057.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-20240320-WA0058.jpg
    IMG-20240320-WA0058.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 54
It is an airplane that was built in series, but I wanted to share with you this book that was published this month in Argentina
Excellent, thanks! It's great to see that there are also great aviation publishers in Latin America. Too bad we don't have access to their books out here in Europe, most of the time.

Love the Huanquero! Got a few questions for the bomber version of it:
1. Since it had 4 under-fuselage bomb carriers and each of them could carry bombs between 50 and 200kg, does it mean it could carry 4x 200kg bombs? I'm asking because they're so close together that I'm not sure there's enough space for 200kg bombs.
2. Did it carry 1 or 2 12.7mm Machineguns? How much ammo was carried for each of them?
3. Do we know what was the maximum payload (kg of weapons) that the Huanquero could carry (in its configuration with the maximum amount of weaponry)? I'm not sure it would be able to fly if it's carrying 4x 200kg bombs, 4x ZUNI (127mm) rockets and ammo for the 12.7mm Machineguns.
4. What were the engines & flight performance of the version that carried all of the weaponry above?

Love the Huanquero! Got a few questions for the bomber version of it:
1. Since it had 4 under-fuselage bomb carriers and each of them could carry bombs between 50 and 200kg, does it mean it could carry 4x 200kg bombs? I'm asking because they're so close together that I'm not sure there's enough space for 200kg bombs.
2. Did it carry 1 or 2 12.7mm Machineguns? How much ammo was carried for each of them?
3. Do we know what was the maximum payload (kg of weapons) that the Huanquero could carry (in its configuration with the maximum amount of weaponry)? I'm not sure it would be able to fly if it's carrying 4x 200kg bombs, 4x ZUNI (127mm) rockets and ammo for the 12.7mm Machineguns.
4. What were the engines & flight performance of the version that carried all of the weaponry above?
The truth is I do not know. I consulted some friends who know more about that aircraft.

Likewise, I do not expect that you will find those answers in the book because I see that it has many photos (137 images and 10 profiles) and only 60 pages.

Those who designed, flew and maintained the Huanquero, died many years ago and I don't know if a monograph was published before.

The BAT 025 and BAT 038 of 1990 were the continuation of the Mini BAT project. The acronym BAT stood for Remote Controlled Aerial Target (Blanco Aéreo Teledirigido).

They were of delta wing configuration and were powered by a 25 hp KFM 107 engine and a 38 hp Wankel, respectively.

Attachments

• Jorge Cleva_Bat 025 y 038_00.jpg
    Jorge Cleva_Bat 025 y 038_00.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Jorge Cleva_Bat 025 y 038_01.jpg
    Jorge Cleva_Bat 025 y 038_01.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 35
The truth is I do not know. I consulted some friends who know more about that aircraft.

Likewise, I do not expect that you will find those answers in the book because I see that it has many photos (137 images and 10 profiles) and only 60 pages.

Those who designed, flew and maintained the Huanquero, died many years ago and I don't know if a monograph was published before.
Would you happen to have the book itself or a contact to the author? I wouldn't mind contacting him myself if he's got an email or something, but I'm not in Argentina at the moment :(

Would you happen to have the book itself or a contact to the author? I wouldn't mind contacting him myself if he's got an email or something, but I'm not in Argentina at the moment :(

Jorge Nuñez Padin is in charge of the publishing house and author of this particular monograph. Contact them on Facebook and they can surely coordinate shipping

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks! It's great to see that there are also great aviation publishers in Latin America. Too bad we don't have access to their books out here in Europe, most of the time.
I don't know what it will be like in the rest of Latin America, in Argentina there is a long tradition of publishing and large bookstores. We even have one of the most beautiful bookstore in the world:

Added to that, in recent decades, specific editorials dedicated to the topic of civil and military aviation, and the Malvinas War have appeared.

In posts 151 and 152 I uploaded the covers of some

I leave as an example this Facebook page that sells aviation, military and Falklands War books on Facebook.

There is even a publishing house that began to publish English books about the war translated into Spanish.

Last edited:
The ACL 1180 Light Combat Aircraft

GJs0bhkXQAA2HVU.jpeg

INTRODUCTION

Jorge Cleva - born on June 26, 1950 in Villa Carlos Paz, Córdoba, Argentina - is a completely self-taught designer and builder of light aircraft who, without academic training of any kind, became one of the most prolific builders in Argentina, surpassed only to in number of aircraft manufactured by the big three of the national aeronautical industry, La Fábrica Militar de Aviones, Chincul and Aero Boero.

Throughout his life he designed and built about 145 wings for hang gliding, about 70 trikes, 8 experimental aircraft, 51 ULM (Motorized Ultralights), 800 nautical sails for Windsurf boards and 6 nautical sails for catamarans.

THE ACL 1180

One of the strangest projects undertaken by Jorge Cleva was the ACL 1180. The acronym corresponds to “Light Combat Aircraft”, The number 1 corresponded to one crew member and 180 to the combined installed power of its two engines of the order of 180 hp..

It originated at the end of 1989, when the government of Dr. Carlos Saúl Menem had already assumed. Knowing about the projects made for Quimar, a friend of Cleva, Normando Astronave, asked him for a folder with his aeronautical and business background. This came into the hands of Ricardo Caletti, owner of a company called MISA (Marketing International Sociedad Anónima) dedicated to the international arms business.

After a couple of meetings, Caletti formally commissioned Cleva to design a very low-cost tank-hunting aircraft for a Middle Eastern country, which turned out to be Iraq, led at the time by Saddam Hussein.

The ACL 1180 was designed in Alta Gracia, Córdoba, with the technical help of Aeronautical Engineer Juan Francisco Coll.

The ACL 1180 was a single-seater with a high wing and retractable tricycle landing gear, powered by two Norton Aerotor 90 P64 Wankel-type rotary engines of about 90 hp each, characterized by their low weight, compact dimensions and low consumption. Its structure would be entirely built with composite materials, with extensive use of Kevlar as armor.

GJs3HM4XgAAp7iQ.jpeg

The performance of the ACL 1180 would be similar to those of the COIN FMA IA-58A Pucará aircraft, with a range of 600 kilometers and the possibility of increasing it with additional external fuel tanks. The initially planned armament was four air-to-surface missiles and two 12.7 mm machine guns, and the ACL 1180 would carry a ballistic parachute for its recovery and that of the pilot in case of damage in battle.

The most important characteristic requested by the eventual buyer was that the aircraft had to be small in size and with a low cost of production, operation and maintenance, requirements that were fully respected, with an innovative and balanced design. To improve the economics of the project, the design was modular, with the structure and systems grouped into easily removable assemblies, and much work was put into the interchangeability of the modules and the simplicity of the assembly.

Three single-seat prototypes of the ACL 1180 were going to be built (one of them would be used for static testing) plus a two-seat prototype for the training version and the eventual production would be in FAMA (Fábrica Argentina de Materiales Aeroespaciales), the old FMA (Fábrica Argentina de Materiales Aeroespaciales), currently known as FADEA (Argentine Aircraft Factory).

In early 1990, Jorge Cleva gave MISA the budget to carry out the project. After attending a couple of very high-level meetings, Jorge Cleva realized that he had gotten into serious trouble, because now his client, the MISA company, informed him that the project was going to be launched in Baghdad..

After a couple of additional meetings, Jorge Cleva gracefully left this project because the buyers demanded that the prototypes be delivered in less than a year while Cleva could not do it in less than two years, so finally the project was canceled due to the impossibility of meeting the stipulated deadlines.

GJs0bhsXsAAqV7O.jpeg

Technical Characteristics of ACL 1180

Dimensions: wingspan 7.50 m; length 5.10 m; height 2.20 m; wing area 6.25 m2.

Weights: empty 320 Kg; maximum at takeoff 600 Kg.

Performance: cruising speed 329 km/h; maximum speed 400 km/h; stall speed 104 km/h; takeoff distance 115 m; service ceiling 3,800 m; autonomy 3.5 hours; climbing speed 800 m/min.

Powerplant: two Norton Aerotor 90 P64 engines of 90 hp each with three-blade carbon tractor propellers with variable pitch.

GJs0bhwW8AEoOZW.jpeg

Source:

“¡TENER ALAS! LAS ALAS DE JORGE CLEVA”
, por Francisco Halbritter

"HAVE WINGS! THE WINGS OF JORGE CLEVA”
, by Francisco Halbritter

View: https://twitter.com/RengelGonzalo/status/1773069182474523070

Last edited:
THE FMA ATL/IA-68

The ATL requirement was born in the early 1980s. By 1982 there were two competing models, one called ATL-1, developed by the American company Volpar, and the ATL-2 developed by the Aeronautical and Space Research Institute, dependent on the FMA.

The ATL was planned to be developed in two variants, one equipped with the Garret TPE331-11U 1050 SHP engine, provided it did not exceed an MTOW of 8600 kg, and another with the Garret TPE331-14 1250 SHP engine.

Volpar had been contracted by FAA/FMA to repower the IA-58 Pucará with the Garret TPE331-11U engines. Volpar had also proposed the "IA-67 Córdoba" light transport aircraft, similar to the IAI Arava, using the engines, nacelles and tail group of the Pucara.

IA-67 Córdoba

FMUUj4GXwAUrKmr

The ATL-1 was an enlarged IA-67, and contemplated the use of NACA profiles, wing sections and empennages from the Pucará. The 1050 SHP Garret TPE331-11U engine, one of the 2 planned for this aircraft, was the same one that would be used by the IA-66, whose integration was also carried out by Volpar.

Volpar ATL-1
FMUR4zRXwAc67aK

The ATL-2 was the second proposal, developed by engineers at the Aeronautical and Space Research Institute (IIAE), dependent on the FAA. This was a more modern aerodynamic configuration, so it would be chosen to advance to the design stage.

IIAE ATL-2
FMUR4zRWYAE1ZlX

The ATL-2 using DO-5 supercritical profiles, being the only one of the two projects to meet the requirement of taking off from 900 m long semi-prepared runways.

FMUWhLWXwAkk8A3

FMUXFmnWUAAtvSo

By 1983, the drawings and model of the ATL presented that year at Le Bourget showed that the double vertical tail configuration had been abandoned in favor of a conventional tail.

FMUXd_mXsA4BZyV

FMUXd_nX0AMUlfc

This was the final configuration, from 1984. The similarity of the ATL wing to that of the Dornier Do-328 is observed, with which it shared the German-designed DO-5 supercritical profile.

FMUYKYgXIAcCEVw

FMUYKaHXMAUK5w6

Enlarged variants were planned, the name of this project was IA-68 although for some reason that I don't know in some brochures it appears as IA-67

FMUZH1SXoAkZveF

This promising military and civil medium transport project would be canceled to give priority, and use the scarce resources of the FMA, on the binational Embraer/FMA CBA-123/IA-70 commuter aircraft, of which two prototypes would be completed and finally it would also be canceled.

FMUZiHHXEAMh2NM

FMUZiHAXwAUU1qz

FMUZiKHXoAQqtPu

FMUZiNSXwAcfyti

Back
Top Bottom