Air launched Polaris and Pershing missiles

PMN1

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
BSP4 mentions proposals for air-launched versions of the Polaris and Pershing missiles for use on RAF Vulcans, does anyone have any performance estimates for these and how would they have compared to Skybolt?

PMN1 said:
proposals for air-launched versions of the Polaris and Pershing missiles for use on RAF Vulcans

there only proposals, because it does not work with Polaris or Warheads!
the RAF Vulcan has a max payload of 21000 Lb or 9.525,5 Kg

the Polaris A1
weight is 13,000 kg or 28,000 lb. (Maximum range: 1,850 km or 1,140 mi) 0,6 MT Nuke Warhead
to heavy and to Small Warhead

the Pershing MGM-31B
weight is 7,390 kg or 16,290 lb. (Maximum range: 1,850 km or 1,140 mi) 0,4 MT Nuke Warhead
it work but to Small Warhead

the Skybold XGAM-87A
weight 4,530 kg or 9,980 lb. (Maximum range: 1,610 km or 1,000 mi) 1,2 MT Nuke Warhead

the Skybold hast bigger Nuke as Pershing..
and Vulcan can carry 2 Skybold vrs one Pershing !
source Wikipedia RAF Vulcan bomber, astronautix for Pershing, Polaris, Skybold info

Folks,

The Russians were working on a version of the huge AN-22 which would have launch tubes for one of the Russian Navy's ballistic missiles and would launch them in flight. Sorry, but I forget the missile it was suppose to carry.

Jack E. Hammond

The An-22R was to carry three R-27 missiles (also called R-21A, RSM-25, or SSN-6 Serb).

see: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1958.msg16801.html

Pershing missile launched from a B-52?

Go to 1:09 here:

Last edited:
Re: Pershing missile launched from a B-52?

Well, that's... huh.

While waiting for the video to spool up, I was prepared to assume "how did he mistake a Skybolt for a Pershing," but... nope, that's a Pershing, launched from a B-52.

Orionblamblam said:
Well, that's... huh.

While waiting for the video to spool up, I was prepared to assume "how did he mistake a Skybolt for a Pershing," but... nope, that's a Pershing, launched from a B-52.

The Cold Warrior in me loves these old videos.

bobbymike said:
Orionblamblam said:
Well, that's... huh.

On the one hand I agree. On the other they're just so damn depressing. How many billions are we spending for one Mod of a decrepit tactical nuke? Pathetic. When's the last time the US put a new missile into service that was larger than a shoebox?

sferrin said:
bobbymike said:
Orionblamblam said:
Well, that's... huh.

On the one hand I agree. On the other they're just so damn depressing. How many billions are we spending for one Mod of a decrepit tactical nuke? Pathetic. When's the last time the US put a new missile into service that was larger than a shoebox?

Yes absolutely the sadness for what was once the bold development of military technology for the defense of the nation is with me as well. More than likely I will have passed away and not see another new generation ICBM, SLBM or nuclear warhead (Russia and Chinese systems unfortunately yes but makes me even more concerned) AND I am not too optimistic about funding for the NGB truth be told.

When's the last time the US put a new missile into service that was larger than a shoebox?
30 years for Peacekeeper (gone now)
20 years for Trident D5

sferrin said:
bobbymike said:
Orionblamblam said:
Well, that's... huh.

Off the top of my head? The SM-6 last year. JASSM in 2009. PAC-3 in 2003. SRAW in 2002 was a little bit bigger than a shoebox.

Moose said:
sferrin said:
bobbymike said:
Orionblamblam said:
Well, that's... huh.

Off the top of my head? The SM-6 last year. JASSM in 2009. PAC-3 in 2003. SRAW in 2002 was a little bit bigger than a shoebox.

Since I don't know of any missiles that are smaller than a shoebox methinks sferrin might have been facetious.

Moose said:
sferrin said:
bobbymike said:
Orionblamblam said:
Well, that's... huh.

SM-6 is an SM-2 Block IV with a different seeker. JASSM has been around since the late 90's (and is nothing special - a subsonic cruise missile), PAC-3 is ERINT, also from the 90s.

bobbymike said:
Moose said:
sferrin said:
bobbymike said:
Orionblamblam said:
Well, that's... huh.

Since I don't know of any missiles that are smaller than a shoebox methinks sferrin might have been facetious.

Rail gun missile is ~shoebox sized?

bobbymike said:

Yep. Everybody else is turning out ICBMs, medium range and tactical ballistic missiles, supersonic air-breathing attack missiles, and us? Well, we're going to stick an old ASROC booster on a subsonic cruise missile that's been in service for a decade. Maybe. Might be too "risky" in the end.

J.A.W. said:
bobbymike said:
Moose said:
sferrin said:
bobbymike said:
Orionblamblam said:
Well, that's... huh.

Rail gun missile is ~shoebox sized?

Shoebox maybe if you're Shaquille O'Neil ;D Railgun 'projectile'. Missile self powered/guided flight

sferrin said:
bobbymike said:

Yep. Everybody else is turning out ICBMs, medium range and tactical ballistic missiles, supersonic air-breathing attack missiles, and us? Well, we're going to stick an old ASROC booster on a subsonic cruise missile that's been in service for a decade. Maybe. Might be too "risky" in the end.

Which is completely short sighted from a tactical and strategic stand point. The US may face thousands of MRBM and IRBM in the Far East that, at the moment, outrange the Navy's strike assets, very dangerous IMHO.

The US should be developing a full range (figuratively and literally) of prompt strike missiles to counter this situation ASAP!

Back to the Pershing air launch: Was it ever intended as a service weapon that way ? Or was it just
a test with the Pershing as an just available guinea pig ?

BTW, several post are a bit hard to read, we should remember, what "overquoting" means, I think. ;)

Pershing was also considered for the Vulcan during the Deterrent Gap Flap after Skybolt was cancelled. Martin Marietta and BAC were proposing an air-launched Pershing I, but it held no time or cost advantage over the UK taking over Skybolt development.

chris

bobbymike said:
Which is completely short sighted from a tactical and strategic stand point. The US may face thousands of MRBM and IRBM in the Far East that, at the moment, outrange the Navy's strike assets, very dangerous IMHO.

The US should be developing a full range (figuratively and literally) of prompt strike missiles to counter this situation ASAP!

Missile, projectile, bolide.. call it what you will, but if it you want it to describe a predictable trajectory..
Size per se is just a matter of scale..

CJGibson said:
Pershing was also considered for the Vulcan during the Deterrent Gap Flap after Skybolt was cancelled. Martin Marietta and BAC were proposing an air-launched Pershing I, but it held no time or cost advantage over the UK taking over Skybolt development.

chris

That is an interesting tidbit, Chris. Was it ever considered for Victor as well?

That also gives something of a time frame for this, it would have been about 1965?

Of course, such a weapon as Pershing II being air launched would have been quite destabilising in the 1970-80s. It would have fed directly into Soviet fears of a US decapitating first strike, which would have in turn, in all likelihood have led to a speed up on the Perimiter system. Not that many here would have cared about Soviet reactions...

It's covered in Vulcan's Hammer. Victors were to be kept for Blue Steel and only Vulcans were to have Skybolt or its successor.

Chris

J.A.W. said:
Missile, projectile, bolide.. call it what you will, but if it you want it to describe a predictable trajectory..
Size per se is just a matter of scale..

Size is just a matter of scale? No kidding?