But this picture appears to add some things that are not in the fielded v6. Most obvious is the third pylon carrying ALE on an extended stub wing. And the other side has a possible laser weapon pod -- that's not a fuel tank with that hemispherical fairing.
I think they are just stubby fuel tanks. The Apache banking towards the cliff has two on the right wing. Maybe the stores are carried asymmetrically to prevent damage to the external fuel tanks? Saying that, it would make sense to have a laser weapon inside a similar pod.

All the tanks I can find in photos are somewhat pointed.
Stubby ones on a Jayhawk ;) Or they could be EW pods!

Not an Apache, though. All the AH-64 tanks I could find are more streamlined.

But this picture appears to add some things that are not in the fielded v6. Most obvious is the third pylon carrying ALE on an extended stub wing. And the other side has a possible laser weapon pod -- that's not a fuel tank with that hemispherical fairing.
I think they are just stubby fuel tanks. The Apache banking towards the cliff has two on the right wing. Maybe the stores are carried asymmetrically to prevent damage to the external fuel tanks? Saying that, it would make sense to have a laser weapon inside a similar pod.

All the tanks I can find in photos are somewhat pointed.
Stubby ones on a Jayhawk ;) Or they could be EW pods!

Not an Apache, though. All the AH-64 tanks I could find are more streamlined.
The new crash worthy Fuel tanks looks to be far more blunted.

These are to replace all the old ones since they are safer in a crash.

No fins on that tank or pod in the model however. My guess is some sort of EW system.

I stand corrected!

Attachments

• 6A075956-B95E-4BAF-B702-5701C8CEA3A6.jpeg
    6A075956-B95E-4BAF-B702-5701C8CEA3A6.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 323
I stand corrected!
Can we call it 'Redwolf?'

Wasn't there a plan to allow some of the chain gun ammo to be replaced with fuel if needed?
Correct. Robertson has developed a tank, called a "Robbie-tank" that fits in the ammo bay. The Apache can still carry some ammunition. I am not familiar with how much flight time the tank adds to the aircraft.

I am not familiar with how much flight time the tank adds to the aircraft.

It's in my link above. The Combo-Pak adds just under an hour. (Presumably best case, since this is the manufacturer talking.)

Edit: Chart from that link:
1665751536839.png

Last edited:
New cockpit:

Attachments

• D346DE60-2761-4122-94B5-9274EC96A9E6.jpeg
    D346DE60-2761-4122-94B5-9274EC96A9E6.jpeg
    483.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 31BA26BE-DE1F-442B-B4E6-BB895BF218F5.jpeg
    31BA26BE-DE1F-442B-B4E6-BB895BF218F5.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 148
  • FCE7A2EC-10E8-465B-AC16-3CBDA74FF0CF.jpeg
    FCE7A2EC-10E8-465B-AC16-3CBDA74FF0CF.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 200
  • 70356589-C0BB-4E18-A744-090086EF681A.jpeg
    70356589-C0BB-4E18-A744-090086EF681A.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 261
@Raptor - Quite the assortment in the last picture, 2x ALE, 12 X ATGM, a laser, and a fuel tank.

@FighterJock - unless the Army goes for the the " Apachnne"(AH56 tail) which would be a new aircraft, I suspect that the Guardian will be the base aircraft, refurbished to become the new version.

@Raptor - Quite the assortment in the last picture, 2x ALE, 12 X ATGM, a laser, and a fuel tank.

@FighterJock - unless the Army goes for the the " Apachnne"(AH56 tail) which would be a new aircraft, I suspect that the Guardian will be the base aircraft, refurbished to become the new version.

Thanks for that yasotay, it may be that the Apache with the AH-56 tail will just be too advanced and probably never see the light of day. It also depends on how Sikorsky does with it’s prototype S-97 Raider as to what helicopter the US Army selects for production.

It would be weird if they replaced the Apache with a helicopter like the one they selected the Apache over.

Put it this way, I do not like the way the S-97 looks, I much prefer the Apache over it. We will have to wait to see what happens when the US Army selects its next attack helicopter.

Apache with NOTAR, would love to get hands on higher resolution 3 view drawing.

Attachments

• Advanced Technology Impacts on Rotorcraft Weight.pdf
    574.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Advanced Technology Impacts on Rotorcraft Weight 2.jpg
    Advanced Technology Impacts on Rotorcraft Weight 2.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 265
  • Advanced Technology Impacts on Rotorcraft Weight 1.jpg
    Advanced Technology Impacts on Rotorcraft Weight 1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 227
Ah-64 winter kit, not sure we have it posted already:

57895ab43ec43.image.jpg

Detail of ski here:

Screenshot_20230430_090448.jpg

They considered several levels of redesign. In the presentation, Boeing mentioned that they cut the drag of the standard Apache airframe by 25% just with fairings and cosmetics. They did go further than that, but it was decided that it would be more appealing cost-wise to not go too deep with the mods (the propulsion/transmission/rotor). Essentially an 80/20 solution.
Yup. It's always true that you can get about 80% of the desired improvements for about 20% of the cost. It's chasing that last few percent that drives the costs through the roof.

Given the almost zero chance that an Apache will be armed with a ramjet powered missile and that a dedicated ARM is almost as unlikely (certainly not a particularly high priority) perhaps the discussion is best focused back on the actual topic; “AH-64 Apache Projects”.
I still don't get why there wasn't an run of new-build AGM-122 Sidearms...

Thats great if your shooting tanks w/o APS.
Based on Ukraine invasion, how many tanks have APS?

Also, how many AA vehicles have APS? (assuming that the AA vehicles are not particularly capable of shooting down an ATGM directly)

Use the slow, long range missiles to smite the AA defenses of a formation, then go in with faster, shorter range missiles once the AA threat is gone.

As I recall it, provision for marinisation of the new 'Made in America' Apaches for the RAF was specifically dropped from the finalised contract, as a cost saving measure. HM Treasury at work.
As usual, the greatest threat to HMDefense is HMTreasury...

From what I understand, the Australian Army wants the Apache...they just need to convince their political masters now...

That said, I believe BAE Systems/Bell will put forward an extremely attractive industrial solution which will be challenging to beat.
The only catch is that the AH-1Z is very expensive, some $30mil each. But otherwise, yes, if I was looking for a helicopter that I knew was going to spend a lot of time on ships around salt water, it'd be hard to not buy Cobras.

Given the almost zero chance that an Apache will be armed with a ramjet powered missile and that a dedicated ARM is almost as unlikely (certainly not a particularly high priority) perhaps the discussion is best focused back on the actual topic; “AH-64 Apache Projects”.
I still don't get why there wasn't an run of new-build AGM-122 Sidearms...

No requirement for that has been put forward. The expense of integration would be significant. You would have to move the ASE on the wing tips (more integration) elsewhere on the aircraft, AGM-122 would reduce the payload of weapons already required on the aircraft. You would have even more ammunition types to lug around the battlefield in trucks (remember Army does not use airfields when the other side has missiles and drones that make airfields very hazardous).
The new Air Launched Effects (ALE) is supposed to remedy many of the ills Army Aviation has.

That and the Sidearm has a narrow frequency band that it can track and hit even with the seeker head being replaced with a broadband seekers.

Throw in that the primary threat for Attack copters are now thermal guide missile which often dont use radars or use KU/Ka band radars. And not radar guide guns the AGM122 was design for.

Which the Sidearm seeker head cant detected. Inaddition the system needed to be set for a frequency on the ground. Got painted by another Freq? SOL.

So the Seeker will need complete replacement.

Plus the range of the Sidearm was far shorter, less then 10km in helicopters flight where it be needed. So a new motor and likely airframe.

Toss in that the warhead was kinda bad at the job as well?

Well means you basically have a brand new missile with all that implies.

Deep Dive - Modernized Apache Capabilities

1696800725472.png
Increased Range and Endurance

The ability to go farther, stay on the battlefield longer and be more lethal while navigating contested environments is key for Multi-Domain Operations (MDO) dominance. Modernized Apache will have a new engine, tail rotor and fuselage to specifically address those requirements and bring those capabilities to the aircraft.

New engine integration in the AH-64 Apache is part of the U.S. Army’s Improved Turbine Engine Program (ITEP), for which Boeing received a contract in 2019. The engine, a General Electric Aerospace T901, will offer increased fuel efficiency, enhanced health and usage monitoring, and significantly more available power.

Modifications to the main transmission drives, fuselage, and supporting components will allow the T901 engine to operate at full power. Updates to the fuselage and tail rotor will deliver a 20% increase in range and maximize the airframe’s power and weight. With these enhancements, Modernized Apache will have the payload capacity to be able to fly 135 nautical miles up, remain on the battlefield for roughly an hour and fly 135 nautical miles back – twice the endurance of the E-model configuration.

Unmatched Lethality and Networking

The improved engine, drive system, tail rotor authority and fuselage bring an increase in payload capacity for increased endurance, range, and munitions on board, making the Apache even more versatile and lethal. The Modernized Apache can bring 3,400 – 4,400 lbs. of payload to the fight, providing joint forces with superior lethality and long-range weapons capability.

Building off of the E-model variant, Boeing designed the Modernized Apache to have the option to come with two extra pylons for a total of six, enabling an increase in weapons when compared to the AH-64E. The two additional pylons open up the aircraft to carry airborne long-range precision munitions, Launched Effects (LE) and potential future directed energy weapon system integration.

As it stands today, the AH-64E is the most heavily networked U.S. Army aircraft and the only platform that conducts integrated Manned-Unmanned Teaming (MUM-T) for both ISR & lethal effects. The Apache is the only U.S. Army platform that operates MUM-T, which means the aircraft will be able to integrate and manage LEs on the battlefield when they are fielded. Modernized Apache is capable of both autonomous launch and in-flight digital link-up. It will serve as the centerpiece of the MDO battlefield, maneuver and communicate rapidly, strike at range and survive in large scale combat to shorten and accelerate the kill chain, enable decision dominance and drive common situational understanding.

Enhanced Survivability

The Modernized Apache will have enhanced survivability on the battlefield without sacrificing reach or safety of aircrews. Additionally, the Modernized Apache includes a Modular Open Systems Architecture (MOSA) that will allow the rapid insertion of new technologies and capabilities. Modernized Apache will keep our forces combat credible, resiliently networked, increasingly autonomous and adaptable to evolving threats – making the platform more capable and survivable on its last day of service than on its first.

The Army’s MDO concept requires network-centric interdependence and joint integration across the force, bringing improved combat effectiveness, lethality and survivability. Boeing’s Modernized Apache leverages the convergence of cutting-edge attack helicopter technologies to deliver advanced capabilities for unmatched battlefield situational awareness, long-range stand-off weapons for improved lethality and survivability and the connectivity needed to win today's fight and the future fight. Representing the most proven aircraft on the battlefield, the Modernized Apache will provide Army Aviation with the ability to “Fight and win on any battlefield, today and tomorrow.”

If FARA is unsuccessful, then Apache will soon see an upgrade. If FARA survives, an Apache upgrade, perhaps to keep Mesa alive, will not occur till mid 30's.

...cant be alone in voting for further 64 upgrades while the whole FARA concept becomes a longer term RDT&E project until a much more radical concept is matured.. better range/higher payload... transcontinental self deployment/very deep battle being a focus.

...cant be alone in voting for further 64 upgrades while the whole FARA concept becomes a longer term RDT&E project until a much more radical concept is matured.. better range/higher payload... transcontinental self deployment/very deep battle being a focus.
The Cheyenne had cross-Atlantic self deployment originally. 6x Ferry tanks (or 4x + 2x cargo pods for pilot's stuff), and could do 200+knots for the whole trip.

Just put the pusher tail boom on the Apache, longer wings, and the improved aero bits that are already developed. Since we already know that the T901 engines are going in as a refit.

PS: if JAGM doesnt have SPEAR3 contractor range in a near future upgrade it is red ready ripoff.
Likewise FTAS & ALE should not be purchased in any number until they are largely, common inter-changeable multi-shot armed VTOLs. ie launch from a Apache for a mission then return to a forward ground unit for reload refuel able to be re mounted on a Apache and/or support forward ground units.

Seems to be ignoring that a 3d printed (laser sintered) part is significantly weaker than a forged part...
Depends on many things.

If the wear time ends up being similar why not use it.

And the military been testing that since the 3D printing boom realky took off a few years back. And entire sub section of the research budget is fed into testing this out. Heck a few months the Navy put a set of 3d metal printers on the Kearsarge, who after a week of screwing with them told Big Navy that they not giving them back. And Ukraine got several back in August and basically said similar.

Apparently the parts are good enough for the end users.