AN/AWW-14(V)

ACCESS: Granted
Reaction score
The U.S. Army has carried out flight tests with a new wide field-of-view helmet-mounted display (HMD) that could be fielded on the AH-64E.

The system was demonstrated on an AH-64E Version 6 over 23 flights. A total of 17 pilots from Redstone Test Center (RTC), 101st Airborne Division, and the Army Capability Management – Recon Attack participated in the testing.

Attachments

• 645.jpg
    645.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66

RavenOne

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
The U.S. Army has carried out flight tests with a new wide field-of-view helmet-mounted display (HMD) that could be fielded on the AH-64E.

The system was demonstrated on an AH-64E Version 6 over 23 flights. A total of 17 pilots from Redstone Test Center (RTC), 101st Airborne Division, and the Army Capability Management – Recon Attack participated in the testing.

After 4 decades ....thats great am sure many an AH-64A/D/E crew have had the pains

So please check out lol @44:45

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jts8xUF0L1U

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
In other words the poor ADF are about to have yet another disaster on their already overfilling plates.
Nothing "poor ADf" about it Grey Havoc. The ADF irrefutably know and have contributed to this/these operational platform disasters, as they're the making of their own doing!
The old adage is ringing true - If you live outside your means, you're eventually pay for it. And the ADF/Australian Army has paid for it in not being able to seriously deploy it's Tiger's in combat zones, because they can't maintain them in peace time.

Regards
Pioneer

Last edited:

Forest Green

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score

Finally, they've solved the left-eye dominance problem.

1630667446546.png

Colonial-Marine

Fighting the UAV mafia.
Reaction score
I recall reading about a plan to upgrade the M230 and introduce improved ammunition for it a few years ago. I think there may have even been discussion of airburst capability. Did anything ever come of this?

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
I recall reading about a plan to upgrade the M230 and introduce improved ammunition for it a few years ago. I think there may have even been discussion of airburst capability. Did anything ever come of this?
Nope ... well not yet I don't think.

AN/AWW-14(V)

ACCESS: Granted
Reaction score
4-jpg.665899

Northrop Grumman Armament Systems is expected, in early 2020, to conduct the first demonstration firings to the US Army of an all-up Programmable Light Weight 30 mm Proximity Sensing Ammunition (LW30 PROX) round.

A company-funded development, drawing on legacy Orbital ATK sensor fuzed weapons technologies, the LW30 PROX is a 30 × 113 mm radio frequency (RF) proximity fuzed, high explosive/fragmentation round designed for the M230 and M230LF (XM914) Bushmaster chain guns. Weighing 350 g, including a 245 g projectile, the LW30 PROX features a PA520 electric primer, a Northrop Grumman-developed programmable proximity sensor, and double base propellant delivering a muzzle velocity of 1,105 m/s.

first public media release:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuV7Pd4dheI

XM1211 HIGH EXPLOSIVE PROXIMITY (HEP)

453.jpg

Last edited:

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
With a frangible 30mm it is possible that Apache will be able to use the cannon for CUAS efforts. Used in conjunction with the fire control radar this might be possible.

Colonial-Marine

Fighting the UAV mafia.
Reaction score
I'm not certain if this is the right place to ask but does anyone here know if the forward-facing glass panels on the AH-64 are "ballistically tolerant"? Would they provide some protection against rifle caliber fire at the least? The side panels clearly are just some form of plexiglass but I've heard different things about those front two flat panels.

I just find it hard to believe they wouldn't used armored glass for those areas, especially considering all of the combat experience from Vietnam prior to the AAH program. The first AH-1 prototype had armored glass but it was too heavy, yet the initial AH-64 with its two engines should have had a comfortable margin of engine power to work with.

TomS

Reaction score
The pilot and gunner forward transparencies appear to be basically like auto windscreen glass -- two layers or tempered glass with a plastic film between them.

The blast shield between the pilot and gunner is polycarbonate and should be somewhat ballistically protective. Yeah, that seems weird to me too, but that's what the manufacturer says.

Attachments

• boeing_apache_-AH64-12021Final.pdf
    708.5 KB · Views: 17