Register here

Author Topic: German Attack helicopter WW2  (Read 23679 times)

Offline turboshaft

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
Re: German Attack helicopter WW2
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 06:38:31 am »
Wurger - Thanks for the confirmation. I suspect we're going to be correcting this fabrication online for years to come.

Jemiba - Thanks for the background discussion.

Offline Steve Coates

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 03:24:31 pm »
Carlos brought this thread to my attention and I'd like to make a posting to try and bring a decent degree of clarity to things.  Unfortunately, for reasons that I won't profess to understand, people do on occasions post on the Internet or publish in books information which I'm not sure they can properly substantiate and I believe that is what we're dealing with here although the extent of deviation does seem excessive.  When writing 'Helicopters of the Third Reich' I worked very hard to research this topic and be able to prove what I had written so that I was presenting a credible retelling of the history of the development and use of these machines. Dealing with Luftwaffe / German aircraft development history is hampered by the wartime destruction of in excess of 90% of records so holes definitely exist.

I'd be more than happy for someone to produce documentary evidence of this alleged encounter but there's no evidence of such an encounter in 2nd Tactical Air Force claims.    At this stage of the War, no Luftwaffe units, operational or evaluative had any helicopters on strength.  As best as can be determined all Fl 282s were back with Anton Flettner Flugzeugbau GmbH in Schweidnitz bar the V20 which was unserviceable and was almost certainly at E-Stelle Travemünde.  A small number were flown westwards in mid February as a consequence of the advance of the Red Army.  A couple eventally made their way with the decamped Flettner team to Bad Tölz and a couple were assigned to Transportstaffel 40 which was established in February / March 1945 in Southern Germany.

Fl 282 were involved in artillery observation trials.  This much is known from a very comprehensive report written immediately after the war at the behest of the Allies by Gerhard Sissingh and Oskar Nagel: 'Monographien über Fortschritte der deutschen Luftfahrtforschung (seit 1939) Band N – Überblick über die deutsche Entwicklung und Forschung auf dem Gebiete der Drehflügelflugzeuge'.  My belief would be that these trials were undertaken at the Heer's Artillerieschule II at Gross-Born as it is known from some contemporary correspondence in my possession that an Fa  223 was also trialled there for this purpose.  Unfortunately, I have never come across any records for Artillerieschule II in my researches.  Equally, I have never come across any reference to a helicopter being even tested for its anti-tank capabilities let alone used operationally.  Indeed, an OKH document dated 10/1/1945 which I have very recently discovered concerning the proposed operational use of helicopters in support of the Heer envisages the use of two types, the Fa 223 as a load carrying helicopter and the Fl 339 as an artillery spotter.  The Fl 339 was then in development and there was little realistic hope of it coming into serial production but that's another issue.  The document also makes reference to the establishment of an Erprobungsstaffel, which of course was subsequently formed as Transportstaffel 40.  I think it is quite telling that this document does not reference the alleged engagement.

I hope this helps to clear up this issue for now although I strongly suspect this fanciful claim will be reproduced elsewhere on the Internet.  Finally, of course if you haven't read the book and you are genuinely interested in this topic, then please go out and buy the book.  It will help supplement my pathetic royalties !

Offline Wurger

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 01:09:59 pm »
Welcome Steve,

having you here at this forum of ours is great! Thank you a lot for giving us your precious insight, we are always willing to debunk any "fake".
I will post what I have on german helicopter artillery spotting as soon as I get home.

Wurger (Carlos).

Offline Wurger

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 01:15:06 pm »
Not much, I`m afraid.  from "German Reconnaissance Artillery", Foreign Military Studies P-023, all I can get is that the adoption of the helicopter by the rec.artillery battalion commander was planned, using the already proven light signal communication channel as fielded by observation ballons.

Offline Platt-LePage Aircraft

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
    • Platt-LePage Aircraft Co. Archives
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2013, 01:25:12 am »
In the USA, Platt-LePage put together an engineering proposal for an armed attack helicopter, based in the PL-3/XR-1 lateral tandem layout in 1940, with their PL-4 helicopter design.

Along with the engineering proposal, PL-LP produced a series of renderings , showing how an armed attack helicopter could be used operationally, many years before attack helicopters existed.

Unfortunately, The Air Corps was not ready to pursue this idea in 1940, and Platt-LePage was tied up just getting the XR-1 prototype built, and into the air, which was a long story in its self...

A small excerpt of the tactics package:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:27:42 am by Platt-LePage Aircraft »