What is the ideal MBT

IlikeCKEM

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
This was inspired by the "design your own CAS aircraft" thread. I am interested to know what the bright minds of this forum think a tank should prioritise and what path the tank should evolve down. Tanks seem to be facing less directional threats as mines attack the base, ATGMS the top, and ambushes the sides. This can be interpreted two ways: 1) Asymmetrically armouring the tank is becoming less logical or 2) asymmetrically armouring the tank has been a great success and makes sub optimal solution necessary.

My tank would have a 120mm L55+ cannon for standard operation, with the option to fit a shorter and possibly lower caliber armament with good elevation for urban combat, both autoloaded, A diesel-electric engine, the capability to use rubber tracks, possibly a continuously variable transmission (engineering knowledgeable forum members, what would the pros and cons of this be?), modular armour, a V-hull, APS that can protect against top attack ATGM, and a three man crew in the hull. I think it was Shin Getter who said this first, but I saw the idea being discussed on the forum to create a medium velocity gun-mortar turret for a tank similar to the AMOS turret. This seems like a good idea and I'm sure that a scaled down version of the anti tank cluster artillery shell could be put into it. I am interested in the possibility of DE SHORAD for tank support, could this be added as a secondary system, or would it require its own turret?

What role do you envision for such a vehicle? I could see a move towards between war thinking with specialized infantry and cavalry tanks. Are you fighting tanks? Artillery? Urban infantry? I can also see moving away from tank-killing cannons to more infantry support weapons, leaving tank-killing to javelins.

Thank you for the questions Desertfox :) I will try to answer them. I think that the MBT's goal is to be able to go anywhere and fight anything doctrinally. I also think that they should provide AT firepower that is cheaper that a ATGM. Despite this, more often than not the tank would be shooting at infantry, and an increasing amount of warfare will likely be urban. My thinking had been that a long cannon for in the open and a short one or even a gun mortar for close combat in high cover environments was the way to go, but I am now wondering if stretching the gun is really worth it. With the XM30 being 55 tons at start and average IFV weight rising, do you think they could share turrets with tanks? A more radical idea has occured to me - put a reasonable autocannon or a short 105mm cannon on the tank and replace the freedup weight with lots of sensors, designators, communications devices, possibly even EW equipment and a drone catapult. Not only would it direct its drones from afar, it would also be set up as a FAC/FOO to call in CAS, artillery, and airstrikes.

We really need to analyze threats and try to make an educated guess about future threats. Don’t worry, because Al Queda, Hamas, Taliban, Boko Haram, etc. will invent a new anti-tank weapon next week.
Hah!
Hah!
Sure, an up-dated Swedish S-Tank may be ideal for defending the North European Plain, but at the other end of the scale, more and more of the world’s population are moving into cities, so perhaps we should focus on the ideal tank for urban warfare. Note that many of the requirements for urban warfare (e.g. guns) that can tilt to fire at high elevations overlap with mountain warfare.

If you try to do everything you will end up with 90 ton beasts (See M1).

Now if you want an infantry support tank for urban environments, I would think a Merkava-like chassis with an unmanned turret with a low velocity 90mm gun and an auto-cannon, would be optimal. Use the weight savings from not having heavy turret armor to increase top armor to protect from top attack RPGs. Strap a couple of javelins in case you run into armor and add drones and a drone operator.

@riggerrob Could a updated S-tank work? I was under the impression that since stabilization became widespread turetless designs were obsolete. If it isn't I'll have a think at that as it is one of my favorite tanks of all time. At least moderate elevation is vital for naval guns, which fire on the flattest of ground, maybe high elevation is the way to go in general?

Now the ideal tank is a mystery. If we go in the question what is it for this or that tank WE find that some solution can't Work together with some requirments. MGCS Shows this. Atleast (from my knowledge) can't MGCS be one vehicle as all the requirments can't fit into on solution. Now i myself think 2 vehicles are the solution. Large caliber heavy tank for Tank and Tank but also "some range " capabilitys while the other one lighter armed is more for fighting everything that doesn't need the other. There many ways for modern Tank to get even safer. Sometimes new ways are needed (mines as example) to defeat them like quad tracks for example LuWa's Design or misu's Pmpv belly which (atleast after there Claims) is the best in its weight class and 2× as good as needed for Stanag Level IV (If i remember it right).

The range of the gun fitted to an MBT was seen as an advantage for NATO armies defending West Germany against hoards of Soviet armour.
Ukraine like the October 1973 Arab-Israel war will yield lessons which will impact on this thread.
Gun duels between tanks seem to have been less frequent than kills by drone, mine or artillery.
The fast mobile thrust seen in the two allied operations in the Gulf in 1991 and 2003 may not be so easy against defenders better equipped than Iraq.

Time will be Essence. Either you can Run other them (AS they didn't Had time for preperation) or you can "Out Run" them as you can move units to fast and do to heavy attacks to often in the front. Make supplies needed around the front.

As has been mentioned, creating one vehicle to do everything, gets out of hand with weight and complexity increasing, which also increases cost. What with over runs etc, you get failed projects and the money dump, well I do not even want to think properly how much money has been wasted on projects sine the end of WW2.

IFV and even going back to APC's have had the ability to carry a mortar or low velocity gun/howitzer for support. WHy not just continue the tradition?

Less muss, less fuss and at the end of the day more chan ces that the infantry get SOMETHING that they can use.

The three ingredients of an ideal main battle tank that need to be got in the right balance are:

Armament

Protection

Propulsion

The Centurion and Leopard 1 were perhaps the best examples of getting all three in balance for more users. The fourth factor of course is cost!

So the main concern is about weight. This makes sense as it is why the venerable M1A2 is being retired. The Chieftains' video on the M1E3 (I didn't quite understand the rules about citing sources that have already been used, but I am pretty sure all have seen it) points out how some weight could be cut without making any drastic changes. Moving the engine to the front, having an unmanned turret, and rubber tracks will also reduce weight. I think it is becoming clear that we want one chassi that can mount multiple turrets. This means we want all ammo in the turret.

So just for the chassis I am currently at: rubber tracks, front mounted engine, three man crew all in it, no ammo storage, V shaped hull.

In terms of turrets it seems to be at
Definitely turrets:
1) An APFSDS slinger most likely L55 120mm , but not certainly
2) A smaller HE focused cannon and some kind of anti tank weapon, be that ATGM or drone.
Maybe turrets
3) medium velocity gun mortar
4) C-RAM/SHORAD
5) PGM guider

Some of these could definitely be combined.

(edit to avoid double posting)
Between these changes do we think the tank can achieve a low enough weight? Is "doing everything" by splitting tasks between multiple turrets feasible? Are the sacrifices to situational awareness from a front mounted engine and unmanned turret to great? If ammo is only carried in the turret, can it carry enough? Is reducing ammo storage a viable way to increase survivability? The questions are endless.

As a tank of any kind is by definition meant to support infantry, one area that could see improvement would be the ability to communicate with infantry, which would be especially relevant in urban warfare. Oh, and obviously a remote turret will need a RCWS.

Desert Fox, could you please explain why you would chose a 90mm + autocannon instead of a 105mm?

Last edited:
I think one of the challenges in making an "ideal" tank, or any armored vehicle
is that there are a lot more variables than aircraft, especially as vehicles are much more affected by geographical factors.. i.e. mountains, soft or hard terrain, climate, etc.
Which means there are a lot of different approaches you could do for design, as well as tactics.

that said, I do lean towards unmanned turrets and a crew of 3, or even 2, with the crew being completely separated from the ammo.

The three ingredients of an ideal main battle tank that need to be got in the right balance are:

Armament

Protection

Propulsion

The Centurion and Leopard 1 were perhaps the best examples of getting all three in balance for more users. The fourth factor of course is cost!
You also need availability as part of that, which comes in two parts: how expensive is this thing, so we can actually have enough of them to be useful; and how hard is it to keep this thing working in the field with the crew assigned to it?

I think one of the challenges in making an "ideal" tank, or any armored vehicle
is that there are a lot more variables than aircraft, especially as vehicles are much more affected by geographical factors.. i.e. mountains, soft or hard terrain, climate, etc.
Which means there are a lot of different approaches you could do for design, as well as tactics.

that said, I do lean towards unmanned turrets and a crew of 3, or even 2, with the crew being completely separated from the ammo.
Then you run into trouble doing all the not-driving tasks a tank crew has to do. How do you load ammunition into the tank when you don't have enough bodies to pick up the rounds from the truck and get them into the autoloader without staging the rounds on top of the tank for a crew reposition? How does the crew actually sleep when they also need to dig foxholes and establish night listening posts etc? How does a 2 man crew put a thrown track back on? How does the crew do all the necessary maintenance, when the TC is off at the briefing?

Then you run into trouble doing all the not-driving tasks a tank crew has to do. How do you load ammunition into the tank when you don't have enough bodies to pick up the rounds from the truck and get them into the autoloader without staging the rounds on top of the tank for a crew reposition? How does the crew actually sleep when they also need to dig foxholes and establish night listening posts etc? How does a 2 man crew put a thrown track back on? How does the crew do all the necessary maintenance, when the TC is off at the briefing?
You don't, without the level of support that will not and never has been there.

No plan survives first contact with the enemy so how the pro crew reduction can guarantee it's existence just screams hubris. Simple things like having a hot brew or someone who nhas a chance to get food to other crew members, spell the drive etcv etc etc. Not to mention reducing the cognitive load on the crew.

The idea whould be to improve the lot of the crew rathere than drive them into PTSD etc, fatigue has a definite impact on this. So, where do they want to spoen the extra money it will cost to get what they want? Especially when the money just is not there.

You don't, without the level of support that will not and never has been there.

No plan survives first contact with the enemy so how the pro crew reduction can guarantee it's existence just screams hubris. Simple things like having a hot brew or someone who nhas a chance to get food to other crew members, spell the drive etcv etc etc. Not to mention reducing the cognitive load on the crew.

The idea whould be to improve the lot of the crew rathere than drive them into PTSD etc, fatigue has a definite impact on this. So, where do they want to spoen the extra money it will cost to get what they want? Especially when the money just is not there.
Exactly.

Had a similar argument about women serving as tank crew. Dude arguing for it didn't realize that the tank crew was expected to do all the maintenance, including breaking track. He freaked out when I pointed out that a single Abrams track link is about 50lbs.

What if the crew isn't expected to do all the maintenance? Tanks are meant to support infantry after all, ideally mechanised. If the tanks are extremely integrated with the mechanized infantry, then you get another group of people to help with repair. As we are talking a lot about urban combat we could do something like the French and pair them with wheeled vehicles that have lower maintenance. The trend in next gen ideas seems to be lighter tanks and heavier IFVs which would work well with this.

What if the crew isn't expected to do all the maintenance? Tanks are meant to support infantry after all, ideally mechanised. If the tanks are extremely integrated with the mechanized infantry, then you get another group of people to help with repair. As we are talking a lot about urban combat we could do something like the French and pair them with wheeled vehicles that have lower maintenance. The trend in next gen ideas seems to be lighter tanks and heavier IFVs which would work well with this.
Do you expect a rifleman to not keep the rifle maintained ready for use?

The tank is to the tank crew as the rifle is the the infantryman.

Do you expect a rifleman to not keep the rifle maintained ready for use?

The tank is to the tank crew as the rifle is the the infantryman.
I was thinking that you have something like 3 IFVs and 2 tanks, and that the IFV crews do most of keeping their IFVs running, the, tankers most of keeping their tanks running, and the infantry help out here and there. I imagine that a tank is more than three times as hard to keep running as a rifle. I didn't mean to imply that the tankers wouldn't do any work

Oh also I seem to have not been clear, only one turret would be mounted I just meant a common chassis. I'm not advocating multi turreted landships. Though obviously this whole discussion is pointless as Bolo tanks are peak design and the TOG's frozen tea armour was impenetrable.

I was thinking that you have something like 3 IFVs and 2 tanks, and that the IFV crews do most of keeping their IFVs running, the, tankers most of keeping their tanks running, and the infantry help out here and there. I imagine that a tank is more than three times as hard to keep running as a rifle. I didn't mean to imply that the tankers wouldn't do any work
That's not what I was saying at all.

I'm saying that it is the vehicle crew's job to keep the vehicle ready to fight. The vehicle crew also has other tasks that they need to do when out of the vehicle, on top of keeping the vehicle ready to fight. A crew of 3 is borderline able to do all that, and in the US usually does so by not getting as much sleep (I'm speaking of the tanks where the TC is an officer, platoon-battalion command tanks, where the officer is always stuck in a briefing somewhere and therefore unable to assist in any maintenance).

That's not what I was saying at all.

I'm saying that it is the vehicle crew's job to keep the vehicle ready to fight. The vehicle crew also has other tasks that they need to do when out of the vehicle, on top of keeping the vehicle ready to fight. A crew of 3 is borderline able to do all that, and in the US usually does so by not getting as much sleep (I'm speaking of the tanks where the TC is an officer, platoon-battalion command tanks, where the officer is always stuck in a briefing somewhere and therefore unable to assist in any maintenance).
I'm sorry if I have misunderstood you. It seems that adding more maintenance to the infantry's schedule would be a bad idea, thank you for telling me that.
How does the crew actually sleep when they also need to dig foxholes and establish night listening posts etc?
Excuse my ignorance, but why are the tank crew digging fox holes?

So the main concern is about weight. This makes sense as it is why the venerable M1A2 is being retired. The Chieftains' video on the M1E3 (I didn't quite understand the rules about citing sources that have already been used, but I am pretty sure all have seen it) points out how some weight could be cut without making any drastic changes. Moving the engine to the front, having an unmanned turret, and rubber tracks will also reduce weight. I think it is becoming clear that we want one chassi that can mount multiple turrets. This means we want all ammo in the turret.

So just for the chassis I am currently at: rubber tracks, front mounted engine, three man crew all in it, no ammo storage, V shaped hull.

In terms of turrets it seems to be at
Definitely turrets:
1) An APFSDS slinger most likely L55 120mm , but not certainly
2) A smaller HE focused cannon and some kind of anti tank weapon, be that ATGM or drone.
Maybe turrets
3) medium velocity gun mortar
4) C-RAM/SHORAD
5) PGM guider

Some of these could definitely be combined.

(edit to avoid double posting)
Between these changes do we think the tank can achieve a low enough weight? Is "doing everything" by splitting tasks between multiple turrets feasible? Are the sacrifices to situational awareness from a front mounted engine and unmanned turret to great? If ammo is only carried in the turret, can it carry enough? Is reducing ammo storage a viable way to increase survivability? The questions are endless.

As a tank of any kind is by definition meant to support infantry, one area that could see improvement would be the ability to communicate with infantry, which would be especially relevant in urban warfare. Oh, and obviously a remote turret will need a RCWS.

Desert Fox, could you please explain why you would chose a 90mm + autocannon instead of a 105mm?
For the vast majority of infantry support roles, you don't need a 120/55 cannon. The M10 Booker will have a 105mm and if you want to save weight a 90mm should do the job just fine. You need the big guns for anti-tank duties which tanks don't usually need to do and can be done by say a couple of javelins, or dedicated tank destroyer IFVs.

Going with a 90mm over a 105mm also helps reduce weight an allow an autocannon like the M242 Bushmaster to be installed. Autocannons give a measure of defense against drones and infantry in buildings, that the main cannon might not be able to reach, critical when fighting in an urban environment.

Note I would try to add a Merkava style troop compartment to allow space for support staff, drone operators, or dedicated dismounted scouts. Allowing the heavily armored crew compartment to stay small at 3 crew members.

Merkava
For the vast majority of infantry support roles, you don't need a 120/55 cannon. The M10 Booker will have a 105mm and if you want to save weight a 90mm should do the job just fine. You need the big guns for anti-tank duties which tanks don't usually need to do and can be done by say a couple of javelins, or dedicated tank destroyer IFVs.
There needs for 120mm even outside of AT.
Going with a 90mm over a 105mm also helps reduce weight an allow an autocannon like the M242 Bushmaster to be installed. Autocannons give a measure of defense against drones and infantry in buildings, that the main cannon might not be able to reach, critical when fighting in an urban environment.
Yes but you get that weight back wenn the M242 should be able to get to Points where the 105/90/120mm can't.
Note I would try to add a Merkava style troop compartment to allow space for support staff, drone operators, or dedicated dismounted scouts. Allowing the heavily armored crew compartment to stay small at 3 crew members.
It has No troop compartment. They just found that If needed they can trow most of there munition out to get people in. Cramped in a small compartment not equipt for that. And at that point your an IFV.

What non-tank targets require a 120/55?

A 120/55 is 6-7 tons, there is no way a LV 90mm + 25mm autocannon gets close to that.

Once again you make excellent points, Desertfox. I think that maintaining the option to kill tanks with 120mm APFSDS is definitely worth it in the age of APS, at least if kinetic energy ATGMS aren't an option. However, most tanks could probably be fitted with a smaller armament. After doing some quick googling it seems that 90mm + autocannon is lighter than 105mm, however it dose add more logistical concerns both in rarer ammo, and I imagine that two guns take more maintenance than one, however that is just my gut feeling. If we replaced the auto cannon with a laser, that would mean there would only be one ammo type needed but it wouldn't be as much use against infantry. If we use heavily scaleable armour then the tanks with 120mm guns could have lighter armour to keep them in the same weight restrictions and be used as TD's.

Kqucke for you, could you explain some of your points more? Are you referring to the additional range of the 120mm compared to a 90 or 105mm? Also thank you for pointing out the Merkava IFV myth. I do remember a person who claimed to be a former Merkava tanker in a YT comment section saying that the back compartment did have enough space for some to rest in or sleep in when the weather was unbearable outside though. Could a tank be built with a section to provide tankers an armoured resting space so they don't have to dig foxholes? The toll of sleep deprivation seems like it would degrade performance drastically.

So far what we seem to be settling on is Type 10 meets Merkava meets FCS or Armata. Dose anybody think this is the wrong direction? If so, why?

Once again you make excellent points, Desertfox. I think that maintaining the option to kill tanks with 120mm APFSDS is definitely worth it in the age of APS, at least if kinetic energy ATGMS aren't an option.
The Loop.
However, most tanks could probably be fitted with a smaller armament. After doing some quick googling it seems that 90mm + autocannon is lighter than 105mm, however it dose add more logistical concerns both in rarer ammo, and I imagine that two guns take more maintenance than one, however that is just my gut feeling.
Yes. Now have them autoloaded, Independent movable and it gets messy in your already small place.
If we replaced the auto cannon with a laser, that would mean there would only be one ammo type needed but it wouldn't be as much use against infantry. If we use heavily scaleable armour then the tanks with 120mm guns could have lighter armour to keep them in the same weight restrictions and be used as TD's.
120mm also get lighter like XM360.
Kqucke for you, could you explain some of your points more? Are you referring to the additional range of the 120mm compared to a 90 or 105mm?
That then against Future threats where 90/105mm meets its limits against IFVs and co. (Which get good enough to withstand sutch weapons), any kind of guided munition without big constrains, the ability to give your enemy Bad constrains which limits his abilitys (needs more armor whichs makes him heavier) and the large Advantages of large use of 120mm. If you Wanne use it as artillery then 120mm gives you also an Advantage.
Also thank you for pointing out the Merkava IFV myth. I do remember a person who claimed to be a former Merkava tanker in a YT comment section saying that the back compartment did have enough space for some to rest in or sleep in when the weather was unbearable outside though. C
The point was to use it as an improved ambulance to get wounded and supressed units safe out of a combat zone.
ould a tank be built with a section to provide tankers an armoured resting space so they don't have to dig foxholes? The toll of sleep deprivation seems like it would degrade performance drastically.
Needs space and your more hidden and protected from enemy units im the foxhole as in the tank which is large. Yes it has its own disadvantage but If the tank gets shoot first the crew has better chances If there outside of that tank in a foxhole.
So far what we seem to be settling on is Type 10 meets Merkava meets FCS or Armata. Dose anybody think this is the wrong direction? If so, why?
Me. And its not directly the wrong direction but its the same old loop. The ideal tank can fill all your needs and even exceeds them while able to put heavy constrains on your enemy at any time. Be light to be fast, be heavy armoured to be safe, be smart to be better (for example you get more information, better pact with more connectivity), you out gun them and you are mostly autonomys. Only a balance of them can be found as solution to the Problem. The best way are multiple vehicles for more solution to the one key Problem the ideal tank.
Thats what i think.

Yes. Now have them autoloaded, Independent movable and it gets messy in your already small place.
Well they don't have to be independently movable, I'm sure they could both be inside the turret, and fixed to aim in the same place or with the autocannon fixed to the turret but able to be elevated or depressed independently. Still, it could just be an external RCWS, though that leaves it the easiest to disable.
That then against Future threats where 90/105mm meets its limits against IFVs and co. (Which get good enough to withstand sutch weapons), any kind of guided munition without big constrains, the ability to give your enemy Bad constrains which limits his abilitys (needs more armor whichs makes him heavier) and the large Advantages of large use of 120mm. If you Wanne use it as artillery then 120mm gives you also an Advantage.
Do we think that IFVs and other light vehicles will be able to stop 105 or even 90mm APFSDS any time soon? If they can frontaly, they definitely couldn't from the side. As the Chieftain points out in this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFs6LG0TEyU
, a smaller gun could track a vehicle, take out its turret ring, or disable sensors on vehicle it was unable to penetrate then call in artillery, drones, or more heavily armed vehicles. In a military based around Net Centric warfare, this shouldn't be too hard. I'm afraid I do not really understand what you are saying about constraints, but it sounds like you think that a big gun is necessary for freedom of maneuver? Finally, why would 120mm be better for indirect fire? From what I understand the most important things for trying to employ direct fire assets indirectly are high elevation and explosive payload, which seems more suited to medium to medium large weaponry.
Me. And its not directly the wrong direction but its the same old loop.
What loop are you referring to? I am not as educated about the history aspect as most users of this forum, though I am working on that. Are you referring to the FCS? I think it should be lighter, but not C-130 light.
The best way are multiple vehicles for more solution to the one key Problem the ideal tank.
Okay, but logistics matters to, and if they all use the same engine, or a variant thereof (which IMO they should, and said engine at least for the U.S. should be ACE) and the same scaleable armour package, and the same turret ring size, and I don't think all of those would be a big ask, then why not have the same chassis? Of course wheeled vehicles will also be wanted, but these turrets could be made to work on them to, so I guess it would be two chasses.

Okay, but logistics matters to, and if they all use the same engine, or a variant thereof (which IMO they should, and said engine at least for the U.S. should be ACE) and the same scaleable armour package, and the same turret ring size, and I don't think all of those would be a big ask, then why not have the same chassis? Of course wheeled vehicles will also be wanted, but these turrets could be made to work on them to, so I guess it would be two chasses.
If we are dealing with logistics optimized family of vehicles, the hard constrain of logistics infrastructure defines the vehicles more than anything.

If you need to fit into a C-130
If you need to fit 2 into a C-17, or 1 into C-17
If you need to fit certain rail tunnels
If you need to worry about bridge tonnages
If you need to worry about other support vehicles like recovery, bridging, trailers, landing craft, ship decks and so on.

Once you go through the entire list of requirements you pretty much have no degree of freedom for "creativity" without breaking the budget for "leap ahead" technology. It wouldn't be a fun exercise in imagination, but more like misery in organization and paperwork.

Well they don't have to be independently movable, I'm sure they could both be inside the turret, and fixed to aim in the same place or with the autocannon fixed to the turret but able to be elevated or depressed independently.
I meant Independent movable from the Main gun. Because if its not you have a coaxial maschine gun which can point so high or low as the main gun can.

Still, it could just be an external RCWS, though that leaves it the easiest to disable.
And for a M242 its gonna be big.
Big makes things harder.
Do we think that IFVs and other light vehicles will be able to stop 105 or even 90mm APFSDS any time soon? If they can frontaly, they definitely couldn't from the side. As the Chieftain points out in this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFs6LG0TEyU
Even Tanks can't survive hits from the sight from top 105mm guns. For 90 its easy AS its all HE (If i remember it right for now) but top Line 105mm should go trought maybe even some 90mm APFSDS (dont know ans)?
, a smaller gun could track a vehicle, take out its turret ring, or disable sensors on vehicle it was unable to penetrate then call in artillery, drones, or more heavily armed vehicles. In a military based around Net Centric warfare, this shouldn't be too hard.
Yes it shouldnt be but are allways all assets available? Has the enemy the capability to Interrupt those comand chains?
I'm afraid I do not really understand what you are saying about constraints, but it sounds like you think that a big gun is necessary for freedom of maneuver?
If your enemy has only 105mm KE to survive they can (from today Standpoint) use lighter solution as they need less KE protection. But If they have to protect against a 120mm they can't. A new larger one and they would need even more armor for protection. Can you further with a better fire Control System? If the enemy wants to be atleast a good as you He needs to adapt to IT and sacreficing something for it (time for a new vehicle or free weight, Energy, space and mobility for the Armor.
Finally, why would 120mm be better for indirect fire? From what I understand the most important things for trying to employ direct fire assets indirectly are high elevation and explosive payload, which seems more suited to medium to medium large weaponry.
Most 105mm can't Go higher then 120mm so the 120mm which is more powerful with more range, smarter munition and more bang makes more Sense.
What loop are you referring to? I am not as educated about the history aspect as most users of this forum, though I am working on that. Are you referring to the FCS? I think it should be lighter, but not C-130 light.
The Loop of less Armor for Mobility (of any kind), then needing more protection and / or firepower to survive. The Loop is that If we choice on Route our enemy can chose one effectiv against it like on "heavy" enough to withstand our munition and then what?
Also what we want to be is to not care about mines, drones or any anti tank weapons for soldier.
Probaly wheeled can be one of them If its fits your Terrain.

Last edited:
I meant Independent movable from the Main gun. Because if its not you have a coaxial maschine gun which can point so high or low as the main gun can.
And for a M242 its gonna be big.
Big makes things harder.
I know. I was pointing out that it doesn't have to be independently moveable. Even still, things as light as Humvees and Jeeps can still use RCWS and probably the same as would be on a tank because of things like CROWS (Common Remote Weapons System). A RCWS of some type seems like a no brainer for new tanks, I was disappointed when the M10 didn't have one as one of the people it was named after died while manning the MG.
Yes it shouldnt be but are allways all assets available? Has the enemy the capability to Interrupt those comand chains?
Well the same would apply to having multiple vehicles. At the end of the day compromises have to be made and the thing that finally kills the enemy tank could be a ATGM mounted on the same platform as the small gun.
If your enemy has only 105mm KE to survive they can (from today Standpoint) use lighter solution as they need less KE protection. But If they have to protect against a 120mm they can't. A new larger one and they would need even more armor for protection. Can you further with a better fire Control System? If the enemy wants to be atleast a good as you He needs to adapt to IT and sacreficing something for it (time for a new vehicle or free weight, Energy, space and mobility for the Armor.
And if the vehicle is lighter meaning more strategically and tactically mobile as well as more mostest firstestness, then that has to be adapted to as well. In addition, I have never supported cutting out 120mm, so that has to still be thought about.
Most 105mm can't Go higher then 120mm so the 120mm which is more powerful with more range, smarter munition and more bang makes more Sense.
Hmm. Could a high elevation 105mm be made? I know that one problem tanks had in Afghanistan was insufficient elevation to engage ATGM and RPG teams. I know autocannons have higher elevation than 120mm so could a 90 or 105mm be made to match that of a 30-50mm range auto cannon? I think that heavier autocannons are the route to go as 20 and 25mm doesn't have much use for smart rounds.
The Loop of less Armor for Mobility (of any kind), then needing more protection and / or firepower to survive. The Loop is that If we choice on Route our enemy can chose one effectiv against it like on "heavy" enough to withstand our munition and then what?
Also what we want to be is to not care about mines, drones or any anti tank weapons for soldier.
But if we went really heavily armoured, that's always going to be a losing bet as they can make a bigger gun! Some ATGMs have warheads as big as 5in. If we add good APS then they can make kinetic energy missiles, use saturation attacks, mines, and tank traps to work around the armour. Artillery is getting ever more precise and AP or HEAT/EFP non cluster artillery is seeming less and less absurd. To me, it seems logical to use armour for near invulnerability against smaller weapons like autocannons and outdated AT weapons like RPG-7s from all or some angles, and not try to stop modern AT weapons.

Hmm. Could a high elevation 105mm be made? I know that one problem tanks had in Afghanistan was insufficient elevation to engage ATGM and RPG teams. I know autocannons have higher elevation than 120mm so could a 90 or 105mm be made to match that of a 30-50mm range auto cannon? I think that heavier autocannons are the route to go as 20 and 25mm doesn't have much use for smart rounds.
Sure it can, it's called an M108. The 105mm little brother of the M109.

But I think an M230 on a RWS is the less complicated option.

Tank design is dictated by doctrinal employment, which shifts accordingly to contemporary threats and assigned roles. If you have an extremely large pool of brainwashed conscripted and rich mothers you could go the Soviet way with the T-series tanks. If you are a first world country with employment issues and ever growing opposition to wars you go UGVs, or no MBTs at all and let airpower do everything. Probably with a couple of infantry regiments to do the dirty jobs on the ground.

One of the main problems with MBT employment is that they consume manpower. Casualties and humanitarianism tends to be the main killer for public support, and if you are a democratic nation, well you are dead, or at least sorta of. Yet MBT employment directly create these problems, since:
  • The MBT is a forward deployed asset operating at the outermost layer of the FEBA ( direct contact, often below 10km, against enemy forces). You aren't gettin no casualties with that especially with the OpFor use artillery screens, mass PGM strikes, or modern shoulder-fired AT rockets/drones. So imagine Ukraine as a baseline.
  • The MBT is historically a manned asset. Their operational deployment requires that ( close infantry support, breakthrough, etc) and these roles aren't getting done by AIs yet. The enemy could literally stage a couple of 130/203mm guns to throw jammers and your AI tanks are dead. A manned system could operate lone wolf style, but that's asking Javelins to the cheeks.
  • PR. It's one thing to look at a dozen wrecked UGVs on a telegram clip and think " well we could make 10x that today". It's another thing to look at a captured MBT along with its crews on social media. Both things would happen, as it's the way of peer-to-peer wars, but the public often don't give a crap and will immediately protest. Plus UGVs don't need SAR missions.
Yet we still need a manned vehicle that can coordinate forward assets, bring localized fire support, and just plainly go forward.

The problem with using Ukraine to measure the effectiveness of the MBT is that it's a result of shitty RuGF tactics, poor morales and standards, rather ineffective EW usage and zero air superiority. Specifically:
  1. Drones are often mentioned as a MBT killer yet US ME bases have demonstrated this to be a non-problem. That is because they have actual proper knowledge of EW operations as well as extremely good EW assets. Proliferation of drones is largely because of poor EW use by RuGF yet when they use it properly as far as 10k drones is said to be downed per month according to RUSI. Keep in mind most of that 10k is commercial FPV drones with no EW hardening though, but the RuGF also have quite poor ESM/DF capability. The US Army would have routinely backtrack these exposed comms link and return 155mm fires immediately.
  2. Artillery is another supposed MBT "killer" but they are an actually serious threat. The main problem is: poor CBAT capability, poor coordination in maneuvering, poor/nil CRAM and poor quality control of tanks. I can forgive the last part but Panstir/Tor has demonstrated to be so terrible at CRAM already.
  3. Intelligence. COMINT or proper recce could tell a commander where the OpFor tanks are and he can plan a fire mission or stage assets accordingly. The UAF has a plethora of recon in addition to NATO intel and RuGF insiders. Plus cell phones.
  4. Determined infantry. I can't really blame the Russians on this one but the cause is insufficient overhead supppresion/recon leading to OpFor consolidation/dispersion. MPATGMs and drones are really dangerous to non-APS tanks or AA-less formations. The most realistic counter is to collapse every structure with an HE round but you are looking at Chinese/Soviet level of manufacturing here.
Tldr the problems faced by MBTs nowadays, as exemplified by the RuGF, is a combination of bad tactics, doctrines, troops, ORBAT composition, equipment, et al and zero air superiority. Basically most proper army would do better, because they would either send fast jets to neutralize any substantial opposition before committing to a large ground operation, or do whatever the RuGF is doing but better.

The optimum MBT is one that is:
  • relatively cheap to buy, so you can have a large quantity of them in active service plus reserve. A LSCO will see mass destruction of MBTs so you want something that can repopulate real quick. IMO the failure of UVZ to put out T-90Ms to reequip battalions and RuGF reverting to T-62Ms for frontline use is rather telling of how you don't want one-trick ponies that dies from a dozen of JDAMs and still costs tens of millions.
  • relatively survivable, as in being hard to spot to avoid optical recon which is cheap to acquire; can take 30-metre air/surface bursts of 152/155mm prefragmented HE shells ( precautionary measure only, modern arty often scores below 20 metres with unguided rounds at reasonable , 40km-esqe firing ranges); can take large-bore APFSDS from the front and side at 1km; can survive TM-46 bursts; and sensors protected from most small arms/ shrapnels.
  • a reasonable M-APS strategy: DEW for outermost munitions defeat; HPM for point C-UAS defense; a hardkill APS that can kill Harop/JAGM size threats; large smoke magazines to negate visual/radar coverage.
  • tactically and logistically mobile: it's a problem of weight class ( 50ton base is most preferred); transportable by railway/ships; can go on most roads/bridges/terrains; can execute close maneuver ( think T-72 with 1 reverse gear). Modern LSCOs barely reached above 30km in territorial gain anyway not counting ODS so Shinseki's FCS mobility is not required.
  • Relatively lethal. Practically the easiest of the bunch. A large-bore ( 120-152mm) gun spitting APFSDS and/or HE-GP. 15-20 round magazine. Can kill tanks from the side/rear; most other threats out to 10 klicks.
  • Sensors/situational awareness: penetrating radars in urban terraine ( Germany is often cited to have 500mm LOS); elevated optical/radar BLOS view, networking with offboard sensors; redundant/secured comms links etc.
So building from that specs:
  1. Take the base Puma hull. Refine the suspension system, improve underbelly protection, give it modular armour ( scalable to tank-level arrays) and CRT tracks. Enlarge the crew space to accomodate further sensors/terminals/control stations and living space. IMO the crew compartment should be as spacious as envisioned in Morozov's T-74. Whatever is left of the troop compartment, turn it into space for fuel + further automotives ( diesel APU, batteries, a hybrid drive, transverse turbine engine, plus more fuel). I actually prefer the FCS MGV/GCV hull design more since the automotives are moved into intergrated hull sponsons while reserving large internal volume, but the Puma is matured.
  2. The turret should use the SEPv4 array, but better top/side armour is a must (plus modularity). The magazine should resemble something like KF51's bustle. Dual PASEO sights, a mast housing a directional 10kw laser/HPM turret plus more sensors. Count: antennas for EW, ground-scanning radars, UHF/VHF, SATCOM, laser comms, etc. Quick Kill 2.0 with AESA radars in protected mountings, and large banks of smokes.
  3. A 120mm gun-mortar firing BLOS rounds to top-attack AFVs or HE-spam other targets. A gun-mortar also permits less space for the weapon ( lower recoil lenght, less boxy breech). You lose APFSDS though. A 30cal coax with minimum 10k round in a single continous feed, plus a 50cal CROWS. Or for the AbramsX feel, M230LF.
  4. Auxilliaries. IMO first of all a modular external storage system must be implemented. Already discussed on this forum previously so tldr modular protected containers for ammo, crew supplies, spares, armour and other stuff. Add a remote-fired smoke system (VL launched), and a launcher for small UAS and it's perfect. UGV control is an absolute neccesity, as is a more refined datalink/networking system. A remote IED detection and improved dozer blades should also be looked at.
Apologize for the extremely long post though.
Edit: Barracuda, imo, is another novel anti-surveillance capability that should also be further refined and implemented.

Last edited: