What if Germany went through with VTOL aircraft?

Which brings you back to the P1154. The Germans might have adopted a lift fan variant of this type for political reasons.
If the move to "flexible response" does not happen after 1962 (perhaps in an alt world where Kruschev does not take power but the more cautious Kosygin and Breshnev are there instead).
The RAF and Bundeswehr would need the 1154 and the 1157(hypothetical FRG version).

In my opinion on the first day of the Soviet attack by surprise all the air bases in Western Europe would have been rendered useless by NBC attacks, the Zell aircraft would have managed to take off from isolated launch sites but they would not have had a place to land as happened to the Egyptian fighters during the Six Day War.

The Germans had already found the solution to this problem during the last months of the Second World War and surely in the Archives of the Luftwaffe they still had information on all possible sites for the VTOL fighters Heinkel Wespe, Heinkel Lerche and Focke-Wulf Triebflügel.

A considerable number of VAK-191s would have been very useful in attacking the fuel and ammunition reserves of the Soviet tanks, the Germans knew how to do it and perhaps would have managed to stop them until the United Nations had reached a territorial agreement advantageous to the aggressor.

The maintenance of the engines would not have been a big problem, the war would not have lasted long.

Surviving ZELL F-104s that had fuel enough to return would have recovered to fields equipped with naval-style arresting cables, had the system been adopted. All the NATO air forces trained to operate under NBC conditions. Given the size of NATO air bases, it was felt unlikely that a nuclear attack would make the base completely unusable, whether by VAK-191Bs in bunkers or ZELL F-104Gs in shelters.

But recovery and repeat missions were not the point. Positing an ongoing, war-fighting strategy runs counter to the massive retaliation doctrine NATO adopted at the time. Massive retaliation doctrine was meant to reassure the frontline NATO states--primarily Germany--that the alliance could defend them without crippling fighting on their own territory--or abandonment during an Allied strategic retreat into France and Belgium. The borders of the alliance were to be a tripwire. Crossing it would immediately trigger annihilation of the attackers on their own soil, sparing the bordering Allies the worst of the war.

I think that the implications of this doctrine are the only plausible explanation for Germany's obsession with operating without runways and thus for its very un-British approach to VTOL.

While German planning made provision for recovering strike aircraft where possible, the ZELL F-104s or VAK-191Bs were not expected to survive the NATO counterattack in any numbers. Massive retaliation meant that every flyable aircraft would fly to its maximum range before dropping its bomb. Fuel for the return flight would be minimal. So even if an aircraft survived Soviet air defenses without significant damage, unanticipated weather, diversion to alternate targets, or evasive maneuvers over the target were expected to result in loss of the aircraft. Should the initial, all-out NATO counter-blow fail to take the Warsaw Pact out of the war, this lack of fuel reserves, combined with the expected rapidity of the Soviet advance would place all or most of the forward NATO air bases that launched the strike behind Soviet lines. So the first strike had to be a knock-out blow. There would not be others.

Given this scenario, the limited range of German tactical aircraft, and the relative shallowness of Federal German territory, only a first strike would reach targets in the USSR before Germany was overrun. Any second strikes would thus be made against Warsaw Pact forces inside Germany, the very eventuality that massive retaliation was supposed to preclude. Germans did not want to drop nuclear weapons on their own territory and people, in the West or the East.

Perhaps the most interesting part of all this is that history produced the what-if scenario in this case. Inter-Alliance politics, overblown fear of the Soviet Union, overestimation of its military might, and underestimation of its crippling sacrifices in WW2 led to a tenuous doomsday strategy for defending the West--meaning Germany--against a phantom menace of the West's own devising. The other Allies had their own priorities and never took massive retaliation seriously enough to significantly alter their own defense planning. But Germany did--until reality finally caught up.

Had it been otherwise, had there been no nuclear tripwire, I imagine that Germans would never have taken up VTOL or ZELL. They'd have looked for a more practical course. Had they correctly estimated the actual threat posed by the USSR, they would have done nothing and saved their money. Otherwise, if they had continued to magnify the Soviet threat while accepting the inevitability of being overrun in wartime, they might have bought the TSR-2 or the F-111, long-range aircraft that could continue to carry the war to Soviet territory after evacuating to bases in France, Italy, England, or even Turkey.

The only thing for sure is that the aggressor would be Soviet, also that no battle plan resists the reality of the first combat. I believe that the Soviets would use only chemical weapons that would paralyze Western air operations (despite all their NBC training) in combination with terrorist attacks and perhaps some non-nuclear form of EMP. In my opinion the U.S. government would be surprised by the maskirova and would decide to abandon its allies, as it already did in Cuba and Vietnam, rather than risk a nuclear war. Possibly they would try to obtain a truce to negotiate the communist unification of Germany by trying to preserve their bases in the rest of Europe. Possibly that would have been the Soviet objective from the beginning.

The thing that probably killed VTOL more than anything else in terms of delivering a weapon into Soviet held territory was an F-104 going sonic stood a reasonable chance of successful delivery. A subsonic VTOL aircraft was not likely to survive penetration given the density of Soviet air defenses.

From that POV, a ZELL F-104 makes sense.

The thing that probably killed VTOL more than anything else in terms of delivering a weapon into Soviet held territory was an F-104 going sonic stood a reasonable chance of successful delivery. A subsonic VTOL aircraft was not likely to survive penetration given the density of Soviet air defenses.

From that POV, a ZELL F-104 makes sense.
That option would only have been effective using tactical nukes, the Zell system required extra short landing strips and the number of sites and aircraft could not have been very large.

my zero flight concept with a rail pad where the plane will be on iron wheels that will be separated during the flight something like me-163 comet

Attachments

• f-104 rail1.jpg
    f-104 rail1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 34
my zero flight concept with a rail pad where the plane will be on iron wheels that will be separated during the flight something like me-163 comet
What is the advantage over ZELL?
A launch with less G benefits the efficiency of the pilot during the mission.
The rocket's infrared signal can help the enemy locate the launch site, and even confuse it with the tactical nuke launch.

Last edited:
Cheaper version than the expensive rocket no smoke and a large amount of heat when launched .While above the ramp can build a well-fortified hangar from the impact of cluster munitions or air cannon grenades

A launch with less G benefits the efficiency of the pilot during the mission.
The rocket's infrared signal can help the enemy locate the launch site, and even confuse it with the tactical nuke launch.
Neither seems particularly compelling.

First, ZELL testing showed that G-forces had no adverse effects on the pilots at all.

Second, I have to reiterate: ZELL was never intended for routine tactical warfare or alternate war-fighting scenarios. In the doomsday scenario for which it was intended, no one would be watching for IR signatures or worrying about tactical nuclear launches. It WOULD be a tactical (or de facto strategic) nuclear launch carried out under attack in a matter designed to frustrate enemy attempts at preventing it. If the enemy did locate the launch site after launch, so what? The bomber and its weapon would not be there and would not be coming back. The expense of a rocket hardly mattered under these conditions.

ZELL launches were successfully carried out from bunkers. But the point of the hardstand was that no bunker, rails, or other complex infrastructure was needed. The infrastructure required--the launch stand--was little more complicated than a concrete parking space: easy to construct, with a vanishingly small foot print and little or nothing to see from the air, and easily camouflaged. The only necessary equipment was an ordinary and ubiquitous air force truck with a crane.

The Luftwaffe did consider using the catapult from the Marine Corps Short Airfield for Tactical Support (SATS) as an alternative to ZELL. The SATS arrestor gear was already considered the best bet for providing alternative landing strips for returning ZELL bombers. But it was simply more complicated and costly than ZELL and required too much real estate and lead time for the doomsday mission. While SATS offered greater flexibility (Marine F-4s used it in Vietnam), flexibility was not what the doomsday plan was about.

For more on SATS, see:

https://constructionmanuals.tpub.co...s-Short-Airfield-for-Tactical-Support-281.htm

The photos here give a good idea how minimal ZELL infrastrucure was:

SNCASE Baroudeur this is an interesting concept for cheap form of STOL aircraft. Something like me163 comet aircraft that can take off from any meadow.View attachment 662646View attachment 662647View attachment 662649

Skids were a non-V/STOL approach to rough-field operations. The Baroudeur concept worked as designed, providing take off and landing from plowed fields and such with light, close-support weapons loads. But, as with the Me163, the take-off trolley and limited maneuverability on the ground had at least the potential for limiting sortie rates and increasing vulnerability to counter-air attack.

The Soviets experimented with pure skid undercarriages on the Su-7 before settling on a more or less successful, wheel-skid hybrid arrangement for the Su-7BKL. The skids improved flotation on soft surfaces, in mud, and on snow, while the wheels retained the ability to taxi and operate from hard surfaces. Combined with RATO gear, it seems to have made rough field operations with large fast jets possible, if not altogether practical. The idea wasn't pursued on later aircraft types. So I assume that its advantages did not justify the extra cost and complexity. For one thing, you still had all the logistical issues that beset other austere-basing schemes (providing munitions and fuel supplies, maintenance facilities, accommodations, etc.).

Attachments

• 28-2.jpg
    28-2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 19
  • su7bkl-18.jpg
    su7bkl-18.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
However, Bariudeur it can take off from any meadow and close to the front and that is the goal. For example, in 1995, 6J-21 Jasterb planes took off from the Republic of Serbian Kraijna the aim was to bomb factory in Novi Travnik in Bosna.
All 5J-21s were shot down by US F-15s. what if the j-21 had the opportunity to take off from a makeshift airport just 10km from the factory as it could do Bariudeur /

This is just my opinion .

Back
Top Bottom